Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Letter # 421 July 16, 1944

New Guinea
Sun. Morn.
July 16, 1944
Hello Sweet and torrid;
Sunday again and a no duty day.  Ain't that something?  Slept until 7 and had a very good breakfast of French toast, bacon and coffee.  Then I sat down, answered Jim's letter and am now starting this one to you.  I'll write at it by starts all day I reckon.  I know there will be a time out very soon to read a Sunday paper.  Imagine that, a Sunday paper, over here in the jungle.  It wasn't delivered by a paper boy and isn't exactly new.  It's June 4 and arrived in that shipment I spoke of last night.  It's the Sioux City Journal.  Hanson's paper.  I have butts on it as soon as he finishes.  Aren't we smart?  So far I got the June Reader's Digest and June 17 Colliers'.  Lots of things to read.  Guess grand pop better get his glasses out.  Here's my funnies so I'm taking a break. 
There, I've disposed of the funnies so I can come back to this.  I haven't changed so much after all.  The funnies come first.  I know of one thing that would come before them.  Can you guess what it is?  Yes, that's right.  That would probably always have come first if you had been your usual sweet self the first thing in the morning. 
I know now that you always have come first with me but it took this final shock of being separated to make me admit it even to myself.  I was so stubborn I hated to admit that anything could so stir me from my complacent existence.  You have.  Am I sorry?  I'll say not.  I'm tickled pink it happened.  I'm very much in love with you, sweetheart.  I'm lucky as hell that the only girl for me is such a peach and loves me too.
We have been having beautiful, hot weather for several days.  Hasn't rained for almost a week and that is unusual down here.  After I again got used to being wet with sweat all the time I don't mind it a bit.  Can't work as hard or as steady as I could in the north.  Since I've learned to slow down and stop frequently it's not at all bad.  It's really swell sleeping too.  Sometimes wake up shivering under one blanket.  I'm really being a sleepy head too.  I was up one night until the very unheard of hour of 11 o'clock.  Most of the time I'm in bed sometime between 7 - 9.  Get up at 5:30.  Means I have from 8 - 10 hrs sleep.  One for Ripley isn't it?  The nights are so long and very little to do so I go to bed.  Close to the equator the days and nights are always of nearly even length.  Almost no dawn or twilight period.  Only day and night.  Boy will I be full of pep and vitality when I come home.  Be a wild savage, outdoor man.  Think you can like that kind and maybe tame me to civilization again?  I'm going to enjoy the process.  You'll have little troubles such as trying to get me to keep the window closed and etc.  I still sleep raw though.
That's enough rambling.  Now back to your letters.  I'm glad to hear the rose bushes are finally getting a start and the sheep are letting them alone.  Maybe if we give them time enough they will get there yet.     
Don't worry about the weeds.  Let them go.  If you can hire someone late in the fall to cut them it would be a good idea.  In the spring they would be a bit of a fire hazard.  Not very important.  I may be there by spring.  I hope.  I wouldn't expect you to use that scythe.  It's like the lawn mower.  Built for a man and a fairly husky one at that.  I am proud of the great number of new accomplishments you have acquired.  I don't expect and don't want you to become an Amazon.  I want my wife just as she has been.  She's perfect that way.  I love her.
Yes, I knew Mac was engaged.  It happened just before we left Polk.  I'm wondering if it really means anything or if it was only the pressure of leaving.  I know it wouldn't stop him from getting around if there was any getting around to do.  Like one of the black boys in the show said, "The theme song of the G.I.'s in New Guinea.  I don't get around much anymore."  Rather true. That doesn't bother me.  I don't want to go places anyhow unless I have you.  I'm lost when I do go out.  Any time I think of pleasure of any kind you're a big part of it. 
Well, honey.  I'm run down.  I'll quit for today and do some reading and laying around.  Oh yes.  I would like to have a fairly good world map.  At least of all the war fronts.  Something you can mail.  Not too big and not expensive. 
Bye, honey.  I'm loving you and missing you. 
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: