Friday, November 4, 2011

Letter # 423 July 18, 1944

New Guinea
Tues. eve.
July 18, 1944
Hello Beautiful;
Got another letter from my sweetheart today.  You kind of got twisted up on that one I think.  You had it dated July 4 and the postmark was July 3.  When I started to read it I found it was written on the Sunday you came back from Bub & Bettys'.  It must have been the second of July.  You hadn't had anything to drink either.  Guess you just had too much vacation.  My goodness, going out with men and seeing such people as the Louis Bromfields. Getting kinda snooty aren't you?  I'm glad you had a good time honey. 
This makes two airmail letters and three V-mail since you heard from me.  There are still some from June
I haven't gotten.  I didn't say but this one today was airmail.  Very sweet, complimentary one too.  I'll go into detail on it later in this letter.
It rained a light shower last night.  The first in a week.  That may be a record for all I know.  I don't know which is better, dry or wet weather.  When it rains all the time it is so damp and steamy and when it doesn't, it's so damn dusty.  The dust is real fine and black.  Looks like coal smoke.  Take a bath and before I get dried off I'm black again. 
I'm still in the lumber business.  We sawed some rather unsatisfactory boards and then decided to saw out timbers and etc to rebuild the rig.   I think it will work better this time.  Anyhow it's fun to fool around with.  It is set up right on the edge of the jungle and that makes it more interesting.  I always was attracted to the woods and this is new and so strange I'm intrigued.  Too bad I don't have a hobby of collecting bugs and worms and etc.  This seems to be the original incubator for them.  All shapes, sizes and colors.  Some of the most beautiful butterflies I've ever seen. 
Now I'll go back to your letter.  I'm sorry you didn't get the airmail letters along with the V-mail.  Oh well, I thought you would get the whole bunch all at once.  There must be at least another eight that were mailed at the same time.  Some of them were continued on two or three sheets.  I thought when I did, that you'd probably get one half and have to wait for the rest.  Wasn't a very good idea, only I didn't have any other paper.  I wanted to write more than I could on one sheet.
So far your airmail has been coming through nearly as well as the V-mail and gosh, honey, I like 'em so much more.  I don't have any trouble at all reading your V-mail.
Don't belittle yourself sweetheart.  Your writing is lots better than some I get.  Look at Margs'.  I bet her
V-mail will be very legible. 
I guess I explained that I didn't date some of my letters because I was told I couldn't and then the order was changed. 
I'm waiting for the big story about your visit with the Bromfields.  I imagine it was interesting.  Don't get too high hat, honey.  Remember your husband is only a poor working man and won't be able to keep up with you. 
From what John [Clarius] says I doubt if you will get much news from Bonnie.  He says he only says hello, I'm feeling fine.  I love you and goodbye.  I guess that is about all I say too, only I use a lot more ink and paper doing it.  I don't care.  I like to ramble on much as though we were talking.  Did I ever tell you, you are a very good listener and fun to talk to.  You're darn swell in any way.  I love you. 
Honey, you think way too much of me.  I'm not that good.  "You're taking it like the man you are and I'm proud of you."  I'm glad you think that way but when any compliments for "taking it"  are handed out you deserve the lion's share.  I'm really proud of you, the way you keep your chin up and write me sweet letters all the time when I know you aren't having it too easy.  You're a much better soldier than I.  Keep it up, honey.  I'm all for you. 
You can bet I can't be taken far enough in this world to keep me from thinking of you and missing you.  I'd much rather miss you close though.  You know, so I could reach out and feel to see if you are really there.  Then you say, "Yes, I'm still here."  Remember?  That's the way I like to miss you.  Night darling.  I love you.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: