Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Letter # 424 July 19, 1944

New Guinea
Wed eve.
July 19, 1944
My Sweetheart;
It's rather late for old, "early to bed" me.  I've been to the show again tonight.  It was a good musical with dancing and skating.  "Lady Let's Dance".  That Belita gal can sure use her legs.  A lot of the scenes reminded me so much of the Ice Follies and Sona's Ice Carnival that we have seen.  Again though I wasn't thoroughly happy.  There was something missing as always seems to be the case these days.  I find myself thinking you must be there by me and when I look I only see G.I.'s.  They are company but not the kind of company I'm wanting.  You said in one of your letters that you were getting sick of female parties and thought you wouldn't even want to go to another after I come home.  Well, that sure goes on my side of the fence too.  I never did go very much without you and I surely haven't acquired any desire to be without you in the past year or so.  I'll hang on to you rather tightly.  I'm not even sure I'll let you go out without me even if you wanted to.  I'm going to need an awful lot of you for a long time. 
You may not be able to do a perfect job of taking care of me but that assumption must be based on what a person considers a perfect job.  Maybe some of the older people wouldn't think your job too perfect, but they are looking at things from a very different point of view than I am.  From my point of view you always did a swell job and you've changed for the better in the only way that I might have thought you weren't quite perfect.  Get me?  You're better now than any expectations I ever had. 
I know I used to sew on a few buttons once in a while or wait while you darned a pair of socks, but I never went hungry or got very hard up.  Yes, honey, you are very satisfying any way I think about.  Best damn girl a man could ever find if he searched the whole world.  I've been over quite a bit of it and have never found one that even came close.  No getting around it, sweetheart, you were made for me and I'm going to keep you come hell or high water.  That's another promise.
You surely did do a good job.  Writing four pages in answer to one V-mail.  Wish I could do that good. 
I didn't get any letters today.  I've been answering your July 2 and wandering around just gabbing.
Gus seems to be doing all right at getting home.  If he doesn't have to go any farther from home than he has so far it won't be too bad.  More power to them.  If they enjoy being together as much as we did they'll have a lot of good times. 
I'm run down and my empty cot is calling.  I'll imagine you are there.  Bye, honey.  I'm loving you. 
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: