Friday, November 25, 2011

Letter # 429, July 24, 1944

New Guinea
Monday
July 24, 1944
My sweetheart;
This won't be much of a letter I'm afraid.  I'm on guard as boss of the first relief so I don't have very much time.   I don't know why I'm even writing a note like this when I'll have plenty of time to write tomorrow.  I guess it's because I love you and want to keep some sort of letter coming as often as possible.  I'll write you a good one tomorrow. 
Now the air mail letters are coming ahead of the V-mail.  I got your airmail of the 10th and also one of the old ones from June 30.  There are still a few missing.  They'll probably come along sometime.  I haven't anything to kick about according to some articles in Yank.  One fellow says he has kept track by months and in some cases had gotten as few as 12 out of 30 letters from his wife.  He was also in New Guinea.  Guess I'm plenty lucky. 
I also got three other V-mails.  One  from Mom, Hazel and Marg.  It's funny.  Mom got her change of address notice ahead of yours and apparently ahead of the other letters  I sent.  I know I had written a couple to her on the boat, V-mail too.  I'm sorry I didn't call your attention to the new A.P.O.  but I never dreamed the one the army sent wouldn't get there first.  Just didn't think.  I need you to take care of me and tell me about things I forget or never even think about.  Gosh, honey, I sure miss you an awful lot.  You're very necessary to me all the time in all ways.  I wonder how I ever get along at all now that I don't have you around to look after me.  I hope you can read this.  I'm writing it on my knee.  Bye, sweetheart, I'm loving you so much.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: