Friday, November 25, 2011

Letter # 428 July 23, 1944

New Guinea
Sunday
July 23, 1944
Hi, Sweet and Lovely;
Sunday again and it isn't a duty day.  I have planned to make it just a lazy day.  Write a few letters and lay around and read.  I had planned that last week and then went swimming all day so all I got done was write your letter.  That's the way I usually seem to do.  Can't stay quiet as long as there is something I want to do.  Guess I'll never change in that respect.  I don't think there will be as much difference between us in that respect now, unless you are kidding me about somewhat enjoying getting out and working around the yard.  We can divide our time and still be close most of the time.  I won't spend all my time out and you won't spend all your time in.  Honest, honey, I won't ever object to you following me around every place.  I'll like it.  I'll need a boss to tell me what to do anyhow after this period of army life.  They treat a man like a baby that hasn't yet learned to do anything or think for himself.  See what a big job you are in for?  Still want me to come home?  You better.  I want to come home.  I love you and love you and love you some more.
Just what I thought.  The boys are getting up a ball game and I'm going to play.  Hard ball too.  Bet I'll be a star at that.  Haven't had a hard ball in my hand since high school days.  That's quite a long time too.  Thirteen years already and I've found out that I've wasted most of that time.  I really began to live on Sept 8, 1940.  Gosh, I was a long time wising up wasn't I? That makes a lot of years we have to make up for.  We'll do it too.  Another promise.  I'm sticking my neck way out in case I'd ever change my mind about you, ain't I?  My usually cautious self doesn't enter into this at all.  It's not a matter of thinking.  It's a matter of feeling and knowing.  I'll never want to change.  When you said, "I do", I got the best of all women rolled into one.  If you were any better you would have to be imaginary.  You're not imaginary by a long way.  I can remember!  Guess I think you're pretty nice don't I?
Go ahead and dream about Steve all you want to, you devil.  As long as they aren't day dreams I don't mind.  Someday I'll get even.  I'll dream about some peachy red head.
Your tip about writing about the fellows when I don't have anything else to talk about is good.  I'll try to remember to do that.  Most of them aren't very interesting subjects, but I'll try to tell you anything that is.
Johnny tells me that his wife had another very nice letter from you and you had also sent a picture of us.
She seems to be very pleased.  You're nice.  Everybody loves you.
I think I know what you mean by, "going through this experience so calmly."  I had heard so many fellows say it was so darn hard to go up that gangplank and was all set to feel my knees shake.  It really surprised me when it created very little emotional stir, in fact, it was a thousand times easier than saying goodbye to you in front of the Terminal last spring.  I was hurtin then.  Again, I was surprised at the lack of emotion as the shoreline of the old U.S. faded from sight in the blue distance.  Maybe in most ways I'm still hard and unemotional as ever.  My own capacity for stirring emotion may be in your direction.  I'm plenty stirred and emotional there. 
We were well prepared for this to happen.  Had been thinking about it for a long time and you weren't there so there really was no separation.  I know darn well, if you had been there, like the scenes in the movies, it would have been mighty tough.  Only real difference now is, I know I won't have a chance to see you at least once every six months.  This will be the longest and better be the last separation. 
Gosh, honey, we should get along together.  We are so much in love and then everyone seems to be for us.  Traditionally, mother's-in-law aren't supposed to be very fond of sons-in-law or daughters-in-law.  As you tell me, the whole family seems to be for us.  I'm glad.  I think my in-law Mom & Pop are very swell too.  Like their daughter, couldn't be better. 
I'm not half done with this letter yet but my paper is so heavy, I guess I better quit and continue it another time.  Tomorrow.   You have made some statements and and asked some questions that are going to take a lot of comment.  You know, about the homecoming plans and etc.  Bye now sweetheart, I'm loving you so much.
Your dough boy that needs an oven
Norm.

No comments: