Monday, November 14, 2011

Letter # 426 July 21, 1944

New Guinea
July 21, 1944
My Gorgeous Wife;
Gosh, sweetheart I got three air mail letters from you today.  July 3, 4, & 7th.  There is another case that really goes to show you really can't tell about the speed of the two types of letters.  My last V-mail was July 4 and here I have an airmail from the 7th. There are several of each still missing.  Gee, honey I sure do like to get your letters.  They mean so much to me.  You can write as good a loving as lots of girls could put out in person.  You're a very wonderful girl.  So wonderful that, as I said last night, I can't find a word expressive enough.  I love you darling. 
I'm going to hit a few high spots on all the letters and then I'll really answer one or two.  The pictures were in one of the letters.  If I needed any assurance that you are beautiful and all the other things I say, these pictures are it.  You're one grand looking girl.  That close up is a dandy picture, especially of you.  You show more than a suggestion of the things I like so well.  It surely proves you have everything when you take a look at me.  Nothing but you could make me look so damn happy.  I'll have to take a little credit myself, be it right or wrong.  You look pretty happy yourself.  Guess I'm kinda nice too. 
Your little drawing of the twenty toes is cute only it doesn't end quite right.  Anyhow, not now.  I guess there was a time when it was true but now, nix.  My toes wouldn't point away that easily.  Even when they did,
it wouldn't be for very long.  Remember the warnings or promises I've made.  I mean all of them and like you, think I can back them up.  I'm loving you honey, and I'm hurtin all ready.  What will I be like by the time I get home again. 
I can well imagine how you felt when you got all those letters.  I only wish they had all been air mail.  I know how I couldn't do any other thing until I had read the first bunch I got from you.  I think I got either 7 or 9 in the first installment.  Gabby said he wasn't going to open any of his until he had them all in rotation.  I told him he was crazy and went after mine.  He held out for a while and then couldn't wait any longer either. 
Mel's question, "What have you got" only goes to prove my, as you call them, prejudiced statements.  I'm not much different than any other man and yet they seem to think I write to my wife more than most fellows.  It's because I have such a perfect wife.  I know darn well I can't replace her so I have to keep her reminded I'm still around.  Beside, I like to write to you.  You say you like 'em and I would do most anything to please you.  If that isn't love, it will answer until I can do more.  I bet they don't understand the "la-de-da" you told them I write about as well as I do.  If they knew what was in some of my letters they'd have me arrested for abusing the mails.     
I'm very sorry to hear about the troubles Art and Marg are having.  Art's eye was bad enough and then to add Margaret's to it, especially at so unfortunate a time.  Well, it's plain hell.  I'm hoping as hard as I can for them.  I know if there is anything you can do to help, you'll do it.  Give them my best wishes. 
All the old standbys at the lake seem to be dying.  Hal and now John Skala.  He was a good old boy.
You didn't need to send the clipping from the Gazette to prove you are assistant librarian.  I believe everything you say.  I see by the clipping that the Gazette is as acurate as ever or else I'm crazy.  I'm thinking you taught four years at Weymouth instead of two and they started it as though you had never done anything but teach.  If anyone thinks that is all you can do, I'll sure tell 'em different.  You may be a hell of a good teacher but you're a hell of a lot better wife.  I know.
That about covers one letter and I can't answer another without getting too much letter for the price.  I'll work on these others over the weekend. 
I've been on C.Q. all day so I deserted the saw mill.  When I wake the company in the morning I'll be done with this job for a while again and can go back to the mill.  I'm getting quite a kick out of it. 
I'm glad, sweetheart to hear that you're as happy as you can be with me away.  I want you to be happy and it does me a lot of good to hear you say it.  Keep the old chin up, and continue being the wonderful, brave girl you are for a while longer.  It can't last forever.  I'll come back and help carry the load you are managing so well by yourself.  The two of us together can take most anything that comes.  I love you, honey.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: