Friday, October 29, 2010

Letter #110 October 29, 1943

Oct 29, 1943
8 AM
Darling Wife;
Ready to start on the last lap at 11:00 this morning. Got here at 6:30. I've been out and gave part of the town the once over, had a breakfast and now have some time to kill. Texarkana seems to be a nice town. Probably about 15,000 or so population.
As far as seeing the country is concerned, I'm getting hooked. This is the third time over this route and always at night. Travel sure is rugged. No berths available and a lot of people were sleeping in the aisles or standing someplace they could find room. I was lucky enough to get a good chair and had a fair nights sleep.
It's rather interesting to watch people thrown together on a crowded train. Fellows and girls that had never seen each other before, sharing the same chair all night, sleep across each others shoulders. Don't worry I wasn't one of the lucky ones. I shared my chair with an air corps Sgt. from Texas.
Had a very nice time in St Louis yesterday, and saw some more of the city. After I wrote the note to you, Grafton and I wandered around awhile and watched the war chest parade. It was a big one, must have been at least 3 miles long. Nearly all branches of the service were represented by a few men or women and some of the allies. Very nice.
After the parade Schindler met us with his car and showed us the city. Even went through the art museum.
Schindler and Grafton's orders were a little different. They were to leave St Louis at 12 P.M. last night. So we got separated again.
Bye for now sweetheart. I love you so much.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: