Saturday, October 9, 2010

Letter # 108 October 5, 1943

Oct 5,1943
Sweetheart;
Boy oh Boy! only 4 more days and I'll be on my way. They broke down and told us that we would very likely be paid Sat. and can take off. Won't make me mad. I'll take off so fast as soon as they give me those papers that they won't be able to see me for dust.
We had a very easy day in the field today. Didn't do much but sit around and sun ourselves. It's just beautiful fall weather, snappy in the mornings and nice and comfortable all the rest of the day. We spend a lot of our time in the woods so I'm getting a poor substitution for a Sunday tramp. It really is swell out there. The leaves are all coloring up and it is very pretty. I didn't hardly expect to get a letter today, but I did, this evening. Your Sat. letter with the picture.
I like the picture a lot and if Mom still has the negative I would like to have an enlargement made. It would be a nice one to put alongside our Put-in-Bay picture. That one was near the beginning of our lives together, and this is the first reunion. I guess we do look happy, but why shouldn't we? The morning after the first night together for more than 4 months. I know I had plenty to be happy about. Just look at what I have my arm around and then think that she's my wife and I love her and she loves me. Enough to make any man happy as hell.
That is also the reason I'm so impatient to get home. This time I can see her all the time for a couple weeks, and not for just a few hours in between duties at an army camp. This time I can be with you constantly for at least 320 hrs. and when you were here I only saw you 106 hrs. in three weeks. Just 3 times as much. Boy.
When I get it boiled down that way, maybe that 30 estimate was a little low. I feel almost like that many the first day. I know most of them are in my head , but I sure am primed.
Honey you sure are getting to be an old soak. Twice in three or four days. I don't know who is the bad influence on who, you or Louise. Go to it honey. I have a few beers myself now and then. Sometimes it wouldn't take too much to make me go out and really get plastered. So there too.
I don't know about you popping your buttons, but I almost believe I can right now. I'm in good shape honey. You probably could pop buttons across your chest if I teased the bubbles a little. According to the picture you could probably pop some over that belly. Don't feel bad, honey. I like it nice and soft. It makes swell padding.
I know the third honeymoon will be swell and you will do your part, if I can only do mine. To hell with the outside interference. If it gets too bad we'll go hide someplace.
I knew you were teasing me about slipping honey, but it just gave me an opening to talk a little. You can tease me all you want to, especially when I'm with you. I always did like to have you tease me that way.
Don't worry about the cooking honey, I'll live on love mostly. All the outside interferences can furnish the big meals. I'll eat sandwiches with you. I want you in my arms as much as you want to be. You're the only reason I'm really anxious to get home and you can bet I'm going to stay so close you'll be glad to get rid of me again. I'll pester you a lot. Going to love you all to pieces.
Well honey I'm going to make this another short one. I just can't write anymore. I'm too close to seeing you again. It's rather useless and beside that I'm too excited and thrilled.
I'll write you another note tomorrow night and that will be all until________Whoope. As it is you'll have talked to me by phone before you even get this.
I love you honey. I'm all set and on the mark, waiting for the word GO. I'll be on my way as fast as I can go.
Night mummy. I loves you so much. My arms are already getting in the proper position to give you that first big squeeze. Night sweetheart.
your lover
Norm.

No comments: