Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Letter # 105 October 2, 1943

Oct 2, 1943
Dearest Chubbins;
Well here it is Sat afternoon again. The last I spend here in this camp I hope. I rather doubt that they let us lay over here until Monday, but it's hard as hell to tell what the army will do. I hope they pay us or at least leave us take off Sat. We'll just have to wait and see. Now that this has come up it's a good thing Gus can't come after me. I have made contact with a fellow in my class who has a car and will be going to Cincinnati just as soon as we can leave on Sat. If we don't leave until Monday I'll have to take either bus or train, whichever one I can make quickest connection on. If we leave on Sat. it will save me all the time waiting on the bus line here at camp. By the time we get loose it'll be two miles long. If we leave on Monday, there won't be much bus line to fight.
He'll probably charge $3-$4.00 for the ride but it'll be worth it to me, not to have to wait in that bus line. I imagine I can get fairly good connections from Cincinnati, or I might even try hitch hiking if I have too much delay. Be rather interesting to see if I can still go places on my thumb.
So you see it would be rather hard for me to give you a very definite time when I'll get home.
There is one thing you can be sure of and that is I will get there as fast as I possibly can. The method doesn't matter. I won't even take time out to look at the pretty girls along the way. The nicest little woman I ever expect to find will be at the end of the trip, so why waste time. I'm anxious to see you. That squeeze and kisses I've been saving for so long are fast getting ready to be delivered. I love you so much darling.
Now don't let this uncertain business upset your schedule. Unless you change the plans, I'll call you Sat evening if I'm not on my way. If you don't hear form me you can figure to see me sometime Sunday.
All this schedule changing and etc. here resulted in me being put out of my private room. They moved all of my class into a barracks by themselves, and a Staff Sgt. wanted the room so I didn't have much to say about it. I really don't care, because now, Ernie, Angie, Schindler, Grafton, Gus & Co. are all together. It's nice that way.
Well honey we got old Torchy all ready to go to the field bright and early Mon. morning. After all the taking apart we did on her I'm surprised she would run at all, but she does and very good too.
The instructors detailed 9 men to report to the shed at 6 Mon, to help them take the tanks to the field. I am one of the 9, so I will still get up at 4 on Mon, but the rest of the week, I can sleep until 5:40. The tanks will be left in the field at night. We will march out and back, morning and noon, so we'll get our road march anyhow. Be about 4 miles a day.
From what the instructors say it is the easiest week of the course. If that is true it must really be a snap. Students that have gone through say that they sleep a lot of the time. I guess they take half of each group at a time with the tank and the other half just waits around until the tank comes back.
I'll be so rested up and full of piss and vinegar and everything, I'll be a wild man. Better meet me with the shotgun honey. I might try to take advantage of you.
I went over to the old post this afternoon but it was just a waste of time, although I did see some nice girls. No film and no song book. I'll keep looking for the songbook, I mean, and maybe I'll see it someplace.
About all I could think of when I saw the gals was that in another week, I'd have a gal to walk around with and love. I look at 'em honey but they just remind me of you. I don't even have a chance to stray, because as soon as I even so much as look at a woman or think of one, you pop up in my mind and then they don't look very good. I'm afraid you have me roped and tied for better or for worse. So far it's all been better and I'm not a bit sorry about the whole thing. I think I'm very lucky to have you. I love you darling.
Gosh sweetheart, I got two letters from you today. One in the aft and one in the evening. That's going some. I can hardly write one and here you are writing two a day.
I thought you were army girl enough to understand the T/5 business or I would have explained. It's a T model corporal as the boys say it. It means a $12.00 raise, $66.00 a mo. now. I'll get there yet if I live long enough.
Have at it and do all the stepping you want to. It's good for you. Get a lot of it stepped out of your system and then when this war is over we can settle down and love each other. I'll want to see a lot of you.
So you won't let me look up some of those other women, but are going to be selfish and keep me to yourself. You're an old devil. To be truthful I want you to keep me to yourself. I wouldn't care if I could take you and go off and hide so I could have you all to myself all the time I'm home.
I'm not worrying about not being satisfied. You always have done a good job of that, even if sometimes your heart wasn't exactly in it. This last time you did a perfect job and even put all you had in it. I still say you can wear me out anytime you want to, and a couple more just like me. However, judging from the way I feel at present, I don't think you'll need those other two for 3 or 4 days at least.
Of course, it might all be in my head. I don't mind being exclusively yours a bit. I love it. I love you.
We are going to a show tonight and I'll have to go shave and get ready. Night darling. I'm still very much in love with you and am counting the hours until I see you. I love you honey.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: