Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Letter # 104 October 1, 1943

Oct, 1943
My darling Chubbins.
Whoope! Sept is gone and one day of October already. Only 8 more left. They ought to go by in a hurry.
After inspection today, the C.Q. told us about our new schedule for the coming week. Get up at 5:40 and have roll call at 7:00. Eat from 11:30-12:30 and then go back to the field from 1-5. I guess we will quit early on Sat. but the time is not definite. He also said that they would pay us before we left. Here's the catch though. He doesn't know if he can get the money for us on Sat or not. If he can't we will be held over until Monday.
I guess that knocks our plans in the head a little. Gus had better just forget coming after me because I probably won't know about the pay until Sat noon. If there is any possible way for me to leave before pay I will and depend on good old wifey to keep me paid off until the 1st of Dec. I'll just have to wait until I know before I can say anything definite. They may not let me go until I am paid. I'd sooner let them keep the money than be kept here a minute longer than necessary. It won't mean any loss of time on the furlough though because they will be dated at midnight of the day we leave, regardless of whether it be Sat or Mon. I just don't want to put off seeing you for another day and a half. I'm just about like a time bomb. All set to explode at a certain time and I won't like it if I have to wait any longer. I love you so much, I'm ready to bust. I love you, I love you, I love you, so there too.
We will leave it this way unless you change it by return letter. If I can't get away Sat. I will call you. If you don't hear from me between 7-10 Sat eve. you will know I'm too busy traveling toward you to waste any time calling. Now, don't say you want me to call you either way, because while I would probably do it, I would be wasting precious time and I wouldn't like that.
You can do any other changing you want but make it definite. We don't want to get our signals mixed.
Well by going to school all day we have had our last free afternoons and also the last details, road marches, & etc. It's really getting close to the windup of school and the beginning of our third honeymoon.
I guess I'm the one getting the build up this time. My honey is too busy this time to get as much build up as she had the last time. I'll give you a good build up when I get there. I'll have enough for both of us.
I can understand about how you felt about me not being so far away anymore. I felt much the same, but it worked the other way too. I was close enough to be almost able to get home on weekends and yet just far enough away so I couldn't. It's rather tantalizing or something.
I wasn't even expecting you to send me anything, because I knew you were busy and I also was too busy counting the days until I'd be home to think of anything like that.
Honey you did something to me while you were here. I missed you a hell of a lot before, but ever since you left here I've missed you a lot more. Guess you were just too nice to me. Just can't forget it and don't want to. You're sweet and I love you, and love you, and love you. I told you I'd soon be writing like this. I'm not going nuts or anything like that. I'm just a love sick soldier, planning to soon see the only doctor that can cure that disease.
I did enjoy the cake an awful lot. You and Tib are both very sweet girls.
As for you sleeping along with Gus. You can just bet I wouldn't let you as long as I was around. That's my place and I intend to occupy it whenever I'm anywhere near so I can. If you got the chance and wanted to when I wasn't there, I'd be jealous as hell, but I'd still love you.
We have been having a spell of warm weather this week, don't need my woolies at all even in the morning. Swell fall weather. Just right for loving.
Honey I almost believe you must also be lovesick. Not being able to sleep in the morning. Something must be wrong. The rest of your letter rather bears out the love part anyhow. That was quite a love letter for you. You can bet I'll keep that one. You even admit that you never knew you could feel that way either. Guess we're both learning.
I am just living to give you that squeeze you are waiting for. All the kisses and everything else that goes with a bad case of love sickness. I'm really not as crazy as I sound honey. Just loving you and anxious to see you.
Night sweetheart, I'll be seeing you soon.
your wacky husband.
Norm.

No comments: