Monday, October 4, 2010

Letter #102 September 29, 1943

Sept 29, 1943
Hello school teacher wife;
Just think, honey, it's exactly 6 mo. today since I left you, a whole half year. It sure seems a hell of a lot longer than that as far as missing you is concerned. In other ways the time has rolled along very fast. I can remember when a man that had 6 mo. service in seemed almost like a lifetime, but now that I've reached the same place it doesn't seem so long. A hell of a lot has happened in that time though.
I'll never forget that second honeymoon. It was almost worth being separated.
Well sweetheart only 10 more days now and I'll be on my way home to start a 3rd honeymoon. Boy oh Boy, Chubbins I'm all goose pimples, I'm so thrilled. Can't blame me much can you? I'm looking forward to a much better time than this last one and that was enough to keep me walking on air for a long time. You sure were sweet darling and that loving______. My idea of perfect heaven. Boy!
This time I won't have to get up and go back to an army camp, but can stay right there with you all the time. Remember that promise honey, morning, noon, and night and maybe even a spare once in a while. If I'm man enough.
I got your Sat & Sun letters today and one from Marg. It was a good thing she took the 5 P.M. bus instead of the 7. It broke down a few miles from Indianapolis and she had to wait a couple hrs. She got in at 12:30.
Here's a few comments on your letters.
I don't quite agree with you that I haven't grown up. I always thought that messing things up like that was an indication that I had become a man. I'm not quite old enough to be in my second childhood yet or it probably would have been a plain case of not holding my water. This wasn't water by a long way. You may consider it a nice compliment to you, because as far as I can remember I have never had that kind of dream about anyone but you. I look at 'em all, but you're the only one that bothers me enough to dream about. After the way you acted here in Ky. it's no wonder. Enough to make any man mess the bed for the rest of his life.
I feel somewhat like you do about not being able to dream about me. I like to dream about you but I wish I wouldn't waste all that energy. Be much more fun if you were present. Dreams can't compare with the real thing.
I recounted the pages of that nice long letter of yours and I was wrong. There are six pages. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to belittle you, honey.
You know, when I got the cake I though it must have been Tib's work, because I didn't see when you had time to bake it and then when you mentioned cooking yourself a supper, the day before you sent the cake and then didn't say a word about it, I was sure it must have been your work, so I gave you credit for it. I don't care even if you didn't bake it, it was a damn good cake. We had just 2 good parties on it. You can pass most of what I said about the cake on to Tib. If I remember correctly, it might be well to censor it a little. Some of what I said wouldn't be quite true for Tib. I meant it for you and even if it wasn't your cake, it still goes.
It was nice of you to provide a party for the boys, but I was too selfish. Grafton had just gotten a birthday cake from his wife, so they had their party and Gus and I had ours. If that was a preview of what's to come I think I'll starve myself for a few days so I'll be good and hungry.
You know my spelling is terrible honey, but I can't help it. As long as you know what I mean, it answers the purpose. I told you I was going to enroll as one of your pupils. I might be able to concentrate on the school work enough to learn some spelling.
Your stationery is much better than the last. I bought two boxes a week ago Sunday and I'm afraid it isn't going to last. Only 20 sheets left and 7 more letters to write to you alone.
Angie and Grafton are both married so if that makes any difference the girls can quit fighting. Tell Jean I can't see what difference it makes. She is married also so they are still on an even footing. Maybe they can get together and swap husbands and wives. From the look of Grafton's wife's picture, Gus{Maitland} wouldn't be getting such a bad deal. She is the one that liked me but I'll let Gus{Maitland} have her. I've got all I want and am able to take care of.
Schindler is just too young. He hasn't had a chance to get married yet. 19 I believe. He says he has a steady girl back home, so maybe it won't be long.
Soldiers are terrible. They have to have something to love when they get home. Lucky me.
Now for the fellows in the tank group. Angie you know about. He and I have done most of the work. The rest like to goldbrick. Finnegan is one of these fellows that you wonder how they ever got their stripes. It sure wasn't from work or brains. He hasn't done an hours work in the past 2 weeks. I don't know much about him. He is from the 13 A.D. Camp Beal, Calif. Has been in for 19 mo, is married, weighs about 180, 5'10" tall. He's just another soldier to me. He's 26 yrs. old.
Ercanbrach comes under the same classification only more so. Dumb as hell. 24 and acts about 15. Very poor personality, comes from Johnstown, N.Y. is married, 6' tall, 170 lb.
Fenstermacher is a good fellow, and not a bad worker for a kid. 19 yrs. old. comes from Kansas, very likable, 5'10" tall, 180 lb. All he needs is a good wife and he'd be O.K. as it is he has too much smelling around to do to be able to work. About once a week he must smell out a little hot stuff and it takes a couple days of rest, before he's any good again. Must be worse than I am. I have always been able to work the next day [so far].
I haven't answered Vi's last letter yet. I'll try to get that done tomorrow. I'd sure hate to have Gus[Hugert] get in any trouble over coming after me. I don't know anything about the situation, but if it is doubtful, I wish he wouldn't. I won't buy a ticket ahead of time anyhow, but I would like to know by the middle of the week. As for calling you before I leave, I doubt it, because I am not wasting any time waiting for a phone connection at that time. I'll get the first bus or train that will get me home quickest. I couldn't tell to the hour when I would get there anyhow. You'll know if you don't hear that I will be home about the middle of the day. Sun. Oct 10.
Well sweetheart I seem to have run out of time and still only have one letter commented on. I'll save the other for tomorrow.
I love you, you sweet old thing. You're a grand little sweetheart and wife. Night darling. I really am not ready to say night yet, but you being so far away I can't do much of anything else. It won't be long before I can do more than say night on paper. I'll say it on your nice clinging lips with a good long kiss, and maybe squeeze a bubble at the same time. I'll have to quit thinking about that or I'll be dreaming again.
Bye now sweetheart.
I love you
Norm.

No comments: