Monday, May 31, 2010

Letter # 37 May 31, 1943

May 31, 1943
Monday eve.
Hi Tootsie Wuggles.
I came back from my Lake Charles trip to a swell surprise. There was a nice big box under my bunk. One of the boys that hadn't gone on the trip had gotten the box and left it for me. There were also several letters and birthday cards tucked under the mattress. I opened the box, dug through the paper and found a swell birthday cake. It was in as good shape as when you sent it. I held up the cake and said, " Boys we sure did all right this time". That was the wrong thing to say. That cake just melted and we even licked up the crumbs. The boys wanted to know if my sister-in-law was married yet. I didn't give you credit for this cake, but as you say, know you could duplicate it any time you wanted to. Tell Tib thanks an awful lot. It tasted swell, also for the rest, if she sent it all. The way the laundry has been loosing my clothes they will be very handy and, of course, the cigarettes are always welcome, more so at this time of the mo. Thanks.
I kept on digging in the box and found a very nice card from my darling wife. That would have been a sweet enough card without the $5.00. You're an old devil but I can't help loving you. You're so sweet and thoughtful. Don't worry I'll use the money for something. You say I'm hard to get anything for but I think you did a swell job. I had more fun opening that box than any present I have ever received.
You're a darling. You know I have another confession. I really choked up for a minute after I opened that package. You are so sweet and thoughtful of me. Hope I'm good enough to deserve it. I never thought anything would mean as much to me as you do.
I also got birthday cards from Ma & Hazel, and Art and Marg.
I haven't had time to write that letter to Jim as yet but I'll get it sometime. I'm way behind in my writing since I was gone over the weekend.
I had my first day of mechanics school today and it seems like it would be very interesting. We have classes from 8-10 in the morning and then go to the shop for actual experience. Carl Wacker is also going to the same school.
I haven't time to write any more tonight. I'll do better some other time. I just had to write a note of appreciation for the gifts. The news from this end can wait till next time. I love you honey. You're so sweet. I'll sure owe you a big debt of love and gratitude. Night honey, I'm loving you.
your hubby.
Norm

No comments: