Monday, May 10, 2010

Letter 25, 1943 May 9, 1943

May 9, 1943
Sun. 2:00
Hi my little darling.
Got another letter from my sweet wife this noon, also one from Gus & Vi. Needless to say, I read yours first. I sure do like your letters and read them over until I can nearly repeat them from memory.
Nice of you to say no one can take care of you as well as I, and am very glad that Art and Mick and the rest along with your dad and mother are trying to take my place. I imagine that in most ways they will do a better job than I did, but there are a few ways that I hope no one can replace me. You know how, too. You sweet old thing and I love you a lot.
So the lawn is starting to grow. How does it look? Any better than last year? Is there any new grass on the bare spots? It will probably be much easier mowing if you mow it a couple of times a week if you have time. But here I go telling the boss what to do again. Glad to hear our strawberries look good. Maybe you can have your fill of them this year. I bet the place is pretty about now with all the flowers and the new leaves coming out. How are all the new trees doing? Look like they will grow? Also kind of anxious to know how the fence row looks with leaves out. Is it too thin or do you think it O.K.?
Did your coal hold out? From what people say it might be a good idea to get your coal for next winter as soon as you can. If you don't use it for some reason or other, it can always be sold or left there and we'll use it sometime. Just call Ed Selzer and tell him to bring the same coal he always has. This is just a suggestion and is entirely up to you and your dad.
It sure is too bad about Tony and I can't blame him for being blue if he doesn't feel well. That is one thing it takes to get along in the army, health, and plenty of it. If you haven't got it and are in the hospital half the time I think I would be blue too. It would be like being left out all around. Forced to stay away from home where he might be some good, and being of no use to the army. I sure wouldn't like it.
It is rather surprising about these boys that get limited service. Most of them are the worst "bitchers" until they are offered a medical discharge and then they apply for limited service instead of going home. There is something about it. A fellow doesn't want to leave until the job is done.
From the way things turned out for Larry, I guess it is just as well I didn't get into that branch. Sure is funny how the army does things, spend all that time and money training them and just discharge them. I don't know how it will work but I supposed if he doesn't get in by enlistment the draft board will call him back and maybe he can still get in the air corps someplace. I hope so for his sake. I bet that was a disappointment.
I have just heard another rumor. It says that in two more weeks they are going to send some of the boys to specialized schools. I am hoping for a mechanical school and believe I have a fair chance of getting it. Not being egotistical now, but I think I have done as well in basic as most, and having that good grade in the mechanical exam at Fort Hayes, I think I have a chance. Beside that I haven't gotten a "gig" since I have been here. "Gig" is a black mark for not doing something or for doing something I shouldn't. This is just a rumor. they originally hadn't intended to do any specializing until after 13 weeks, so don't take it very seriously.
I was much surprised this morning when I got up to see Leo back. He had gotten to Lake Charles about 9:30, left here at 4:00, 5 1/2 hrs to get 65 or 70 miles and couldn't find a place to stay for the night so he jumped a bus about 10:30 and got back to camp about 2:30 this morning. Very much disgusted with travel conditions. He liked the town but decided it wasn't worth the effort to get there. Everything is overloaded when the camp is off duty. He said the streets were so full of soldiers it looked like the camp.
I went up past the bus station last eve about 7:30 and there was a double line at least 1/2 mile long waiting for bus service so you can see why I don't think it worthwhile leaving camp.
You sure are a sweet old thing, offering to do anything you could for me and saying, " I have plenty of time, money, and etc" Sounds good but I don't know anything you have plenty of except the etc. You sure have plenty of what I choose to imagine the etc. means. Nice looking, beautiful to me, very sweet, generous, thoughtful, lots of nice soft curves, that I would love to caress, and a loving cooperative disposition. What more could I ask? How is that for a short love message? I mean every word of it too.
I had to sit and think to assemble the words to sound anything like I mean it. I still think it is very weak in comparison to what I feel. I could show you so you would know. I guess you'll just have to try and dream what I mean, but damn it all don't you dare dream it about Steve instead of me.
I have dreamed of you a couple of times but most of my dreaming is done before I go to sleep. I am going to have lots of things thought up to do to you when I come home, so watch out. I'll probably be a caveman.
It's getting close to 4:00 so I guess I better shave and get dressed for the party. Will tell you what happens next time I write. I love you so much I hate to quit telling you but I've run out of words anyhow.
So until I can do better than just write words to you, remember what I said above and believe me I mean it. I love you sweet old devil. You're really sweet.
Your loving husband
Norm
P.S. It still seems strange and gives me a thrill to write that Mrs. Velma
Effinger on the envelope. You know I don't believe I had ever written that before. I love it and all things concerned with you.

1 comment:

sue said...

Ironic comment about Mickey. Suppose he had any designs on her way back then?

And what had she told him about Steve to get that threat from him? Our dad the caveman!

I remember the rhubarb patch. Where was the strawberry patch?
and what was the fence row? I can't remember.
Also surprised to consider that he planted trees. I always assumed they were just there, but that is stupid.