Sunday, May 2, 2010

Letter # 19 May 1, 1943

May 1, 1943
Sat,Eve. 9:00
Hi Honey;
Well here I am writing a second letter to you today. Still can't stay away from you if I have any time. I don't think I will finish it tonight and tomorrow being Sunday it won't be mailed till Monday so I will probably finish it tomorrow.
The chow whistle blew just as Leo and I were ready to take off for the Service Club so we decided to save out money and eat here. Glad we did, there weren't many here and we had a very good supper capped by a double helping of strawberry shortcake. Think of that and then a lot of them kick on army meals. They tasted like fresh berries too, probably from the Rio Grande valley in Texas.
After supper we went to the Service Club anyhow. I hadn't been there before and was very much surprised. It is a very nice place, big dance floor, nice library with a very good selction of fiction and scientific books and quite a few of the popular magazines, nice dining room, cafiteria style and the nicest looking bunch of girls I have seen in this country.
Leo was still hungry so he ordered a light meal and I had a quart of ice cold milk. That was the first milk I had since I am in the army and it sure went down easy. That is the only thing I miss in these army meals.
I saw Lance Cole and Wacker at the Service Club and had quite a talk with them. They are all doing O.K. and not complaining too much. None of them had as yet seen Henry and Lance is only one beside myself who has seen Kenny and that was only once a couple of weeks ago. He is way over on the other side of camp. If we have good weekends like this one every week I will look him up.
It's time for lights out so night honey I'll write some more tomorrow. Night Tootsie, wish I was with you to say that. I love you.
May 2, 1943
Well Here I am back again, Sunday morn 10:00. I sure had a long sleep last night 9:30 - 7:00 and never even woke up once, but when I did I was ready to get up and have breakfast. Leo and I then went over to one of the P.X.'s and I bought a couple of Mother's Day cards to send to my two Moms. I couldn't have much choice and they are both alike, not exactly what I wanted but I guess they will have to do. I think I'm doing well to even remember it without prompting from my darling wife.
It sure does feel good to have a few hours to myself and can do somewhat as I please without having to hurry.
Just lit up a baby cigar. Pop Curtis,from Columbus, O. just received a telegram last night that he was the father of a nice new baby son, so he went out and bought some cigars. That must be hell to be away at a time like that. Sure am glad I didn't have to leave you in that shape. There have been 3 or 4 new fathers in our barracks in the last few weeks. Most of the boys are going to wait until basic is over and then take the emergency furlough they are entitled to for such a happening. That would be one redeming feature but even then I wouldn't want it as long as I had to be away.
Last evening while I was at the Service Club I picked up the April 10 issue of Colliers and there is an article in there you should read if you already haven't. It is titled The War Against Syphlis and is about Leesville and is true of the rest of the area around Camp Polk. If you have the issue I spoke of and have time, read the article and you will see why I spoke as I did of these towns, it also gives an idea of the type of country we are located in. I have talked with several of the boys that went to Leesville and some of the other towns and the stories all check the same. Just dives and racket joints where they see how much of the soldier's hard earned money they can take. One of the boys had a 6"x8" picture taken and they soaked him $4.80 apiece, so I don't think I will have one taken, you will just have to use your imagination, and put a uniform on one of my other pictures, until I get to some place where I won't be robbed, or get home and you can see for yourself how I look.
Carl Wacker thought I was a little thinner but the rest said the only difference they could see was the loss of the bay window and the addition of a swell coat of tan.
The only trouble with the tan is it is only on my face and hands. We have to keep our collars buttoned and sleeves down, and I have a light colored streak from the point of my chin to just in front of my ears where the helmut strap goes. We all have them and they look funny as hell. You see for training we wear plastic helmuts, the same in looks as the steel ones we will have when we go into action, and off duty we wear these little over sea caps set on the left side of the head. Maybe you know what I mean. They are like the ones the Legion boys wear on parade only the same color as our uniforms instead of blue.
They have just told us that if they can get them they will issue us another set of suntans, so maybe I won't have to buy any afterall. Even the army has trouble getting some things. I was lucky and got all but one suit of fatigue clothes, the other suit is to be issued as soon as they get them. Some of the boys don't even have any dress clothes to wear and if they want to leave the barracks in off duty time they have to borrow some clothes if they can. We have to dress up to even go to the P.X. just across the street, necktie and all.
How's my honey today - well, I hope and missing me a little. I sure miss you more than a little as I have said a few times before and will continue to miss you as long as I am away. I love you more and more each day if that is possible. You are so damn sweet I don't know how I was lucky enough to marry you. Must have caught you off guard. That is probably why you only grunted when I told you I loved you the first time, remember? I don't think I will ever forget it. You had me worried until I came back a week later and gave me a very affectionate welcome. I'll be expecting another when I come home this time. I love you Tootsie:
as ever your loving soldier
Norm

1 comment:

sue said...

Dad did like his strawberry shortcake. Remember when we had that for our dinner in the summer? Moms shortbread with butter and fresh strawberries-it was a meal.