Monday, May 10, 2010

Letter # 26 May 10, 1943

May 10, 1943
Mon. Eve. 8:00
Hi Mummy Darling,
Got your air mail letter this noon, the one you mailed last Friday morning. I don't think it worth the extra cost. I have gotten regular letters from you just as quick. In fact I also got a letter from Harold today and it was postmarked Friday
5P.M. while yours was postmarked Friday 9A.M. and his was just regular mail so I guess you might as well save your other three cents. The letters mean just as much to me whether they are two days old or a week old. Still very sweet and some like today's are even a little passionate. I like 'em.
We didn't have a very successful party last eve. Only Wayne Good, Kenny and I, the rest didn't come. Henry was on guard duty and I don't know about the rest, probably on detail or something. Wayne is set on having his wife come down even if he can only see her long enough to say hello. Kenny is also nearly as bad but he wants to be sure he can at least have a couple of days off and go to town with her.
There were quite a few wives here Sunday staying at the guest house, and in every ally or corner you could see them necking and trying to have a little privacy, which is impossible with so many around. I don't think I would like that very much. When I do see you again I don't want to be disturbed for quite a while. I don't know if I could meet you in public and contain myself. That would be just torture.
Kenny is very much disgusted with the army and is doing quite a lot of bitching. I kind of took the army's side and he didn't think I was much help. Wayne is taking it much better and seems to be somewhat interested in it. We ate a light supper at the Service Club and had a good old bull session out on the lawn afterward. Comparing notes and experiences and looking over all the girls that went by. The place was full of them and they sure didn't have any trouble being picked up. If one was apparently alone she wasn't alone for long. She could have her pick of at least a dozen but most of them didn't seem to be the least bit particular. A lot of them were W.A.A.C.S. but there were also a lot of civilian girls. We looked them all over and none of us could even find a single one that looked good to us in comparison to our wives. Guess we must be just old married men. Too worn out to even pick up a piece when it wants to be picked up.
That statement is wrong as far as being worn out is concerned. I bet you couldn't give me the eye and get away untouched. I know damn well you couldn't get away for quit a time. I sure must love you. I wasn't even tempted and I always said a gal couldn't get away with it with me. You've spoiled me, they don't even look good to me. You must have plenty of something you sweet old thing. I could name what you have, but I think you know it's everything I want and you always said you were nice.
You must even be a sort of mind reader. You answered a lot of the questions I asked in Sunday's letter in the one I got today. That's real service. We sure must be turned to the same wave length.
Don't worry about the glasses. I hardly miss them at all. Just send them when you can. It's rather a relief not to have them in the way all the time.
So you were interested in my comments on babies. It's all right to be interested but don't plan. I haven't made any decisions as far as having any is concerned. Maybe I am not any good or we were lucky for quite a while. On the other hand maybe you will excite me so much when I see you again I won't be able to control myself and you will have your wish. I know I will be loaded for bear, bare you is what I mean. I can even get a thrill just thinking of you, what will I be when I have you in my arms, kissing you and doing some of the other things I used to do. It'll be heaven won't it honey? It'll be so nice I can't help but sit here and dream about it. I love you, you sweet thing.
You say you can't believe the things I say are about you. I haven't been able to say half I would like to. The words just won't convey the meaning I want them to. You'll still have to wait for the full meaning until I can show you.
You once said something about the machine gun shell that someone showed you. I am now studying the 50 caliber one, and that is some gun. Weighs 124 lbs. with a 45 inch barrel and shoots between 450 and 500 shells a minute. If you had one of them you could mow the lawn with it and save all that hard work. Here is a rough actual size picture of the shell it shoots:
{pencil drawing of machine gun shell}
Some different from our little 22 don't you think? It will go through an inch of steel plate.
I got to make this letter short. Nearly time for bed. Don't forget I love you and am thinking of you almost more than I should. You still pop up in the middle of a lecture or when I am working on a gun or any time when you really shouldn't but I like it. Good night wifey darling, maybe I'll dream of you in my sleep when it won't interfere with anything else. I love you.
Your own soldier boy,
Norm

3 comments:

sue said...

How much of this one did mom read to us on the tapes?
Evidently no birth control and she did not get pregnant. He says maybe he's no good. And then tells her not to make any plans about a baby - i guess that was up to him? How long were they married before he went into the army?

Unknown said...

"Sometime around 1994 when my Mother was approaching 80, and Dad had been gone for over 30 years, she informed my sister Sue and I that she was recording the letters for us on cassette tape and we would each be given copies. When finished she had created 32 cassettes in her own voice reading dad's war letters, editing where she saw fit. I asked her not to destroy the letters, which, I think was her intention, and she asked me not to read them until after she was gone" [from my background for this blog]
Sister Sue: I just listened to Mother's recording of this May 10 letter in order to answer your question. It's always a shock to hear her voice again. This is the first I have listened to her recording and followed along with the actual letter. Her voice mannerisms, accents and intonations bring smiles/memories. Anyway, she did include the "having a baby" part in the recording! However, she edited with a very long pause,the paragraph about eyeing the W.A.A.C.S. and the "bear/bare" part

Unknown said...

Mother and Dad were married on Sunday September 8, 1940 in Leroy , Ohio. So, in March 1943 when Dad took off for basic training they had been married for 2 years and 6 months.
I don't know about the birth control. I know she and I never discussed the subject so I don't know her thoughts. I think as Dad mentions in the letter they were just "lucky". Cousin Terry remembers it was family thinking that Mother might not be able to get pregnant.