Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Letter # 31 May 24, 1943

May 24, 1943
Mon. eve. 7 P.M.
Hello Honey darling;
This letter is going to be written in installments. I have a few minutes now before we go to the bowl and probably won't have another chance until tomorrow night at least and maybe not then. I am scheduled to fire the 30 cal. machine gun tomorrow and sometimes we don't get back to the barracks until late.
I got two letters from my sweet little wife today. Your Thurs.& Friday ones. From all the dinner dates you mention you must be doing all right for entertainment. Glad you are and hope the army doesn't break it up for you by drafting the remaining men. Of course I'm concieted enough to think you don't have as much fun as you would if I were there, but from the sound of your letters you will manage until I get back. I'm almost jealous of Mick & Jr. enjoying your company so often. It sure is swell of them to take such good care of my young and attractive widow. Glad they are all married or one of them might take you away from me. I'm really not much worried. I'm nice.
I hope you are honest about saying you aren't working too hard. I know you have plenty to do, but I'll accept your statement that you won't hurt yourself working, but if it ever does get too much for you to do just quit doing some of it. You can leave most of the lawn go or anything else that will make less work. Just do as you please and don't try to keep up all we started if it makes you work too much. You're the boss and as I said before do as you please with anything of ours, but be damn sure you keep yourself in good shape for me. That is the only order I want you to be sure and obey. Nothing else is very important in comparison to you. The rest can all be replaced but I'd have a hell of a time replacing you. As I read this over I wonder waht has happened to me. Guess I must be in love with you. If you can realize how seriously I mean all this, you know how much I love you. You're a devil for getting such a hold on me, but I wouldn't have it otherwise. I love you, honey.
We aren't to have a bowl formation after all. It just started to rain like hell so they called it off. I had gotten further with this letter than I thought I would and am running down for this time so I guess I'll send it on and write another when I have more to say.
Don't worry about me having writer cramp from writing letters. The only ones I write during the week are the few I write to you and they are fun. It's the only chance I have to love you. As for the rest they keep me busy on Sunday when I have nothing else to do and you know me, I just have to have something to do. I haven't written nearly all I should. I can write just so many and then I get itchy and leave the rest go. I'll eventually get around to them all. Glad to hear people like my letters. I thought most of them rather poor.
When I run out of things to say of everyday events in your letters, I can spend some time writing you a love message and because you love me, get by, but when writing to others I have a harder time, I never was much good at writing or talking so people could understand just what I meant.
You can tell Louise that I am going to demand proof of that statememnt about loving me. The least I'll expect is one of her swell chicken dinners.
Well good night for this time honey, I love you. I'd like to squeeze you a few times before I go to sleep. I'll just think about it and be satisfied for now. Night mummy.
your loving soldier boy,
Norm.

2 comments:

sue said...

What in the world is all the work she must be writing about? yard work? She is working at the diner with Aunt Hazel isn't she? In a previous letter dad made mention of rescuing her from teaching. She didn't like teaching? He referred to her as a widow!!

Unknown said...

Mother did not enjoy her first year of teaching which must have been before they were married in1940. She had an overbearing supervisor, a woman, who intimidated her, would sit in on her classes and critisize. Mother was probably 23 at the time and it completely flustered her. So she stopped teaching when they were married. I thought she worked at the diner with Tib but it may have been Hazel.
I expect they are refering to all the work associated with a brand new house, yes, mowing, planting,general upkeep.
I was struck by the "widow" comment too. I don't think it was anything prophetic, he just meant she was like a widow because he was so far away for an unknown time period.