Thursday, May 6, 2010

Letter # 23 May 6, 1943

May 6, 1943
Thurs, eve
Hi Tootsie Wuggles;
Just got your box with the candy and shoe polish and papers and magazines. Thanks a lot if that pays the bill, if it doesn't you'll have to wait until I see you and then maybe I can do something to even the score. Don't worry about the glasses, I don't even miss them except as guards against dust and dirt. The knee isn't well but it doesn't bother at all not even sore.
I don't know what I wrote that gave you the idea I was rather blue, I'm not, in fact I'm a long way from it. I was mad the night I wrote that letter, not because I missed seeing Bob Hope because I wasn't very keen on seeing him anyhow, and I wasn't lying when I said I would rather write to you. I was mad because of the detail I was on. I had been on detail nearly every night that week and then some of the boys that were to be on this particular detail ran out on it, so they just came in the barracks and took anyone there to fill out. They had just told them to report and not taken any names so it was easy for them to skip and let the rest of us be the goats. That probably accounts for the tone of the letter rather than what you thought. If it wasn't for missing you I would like this as well as any work. Remember I even used to get disgusted with things at the Hardware and then I had you too. So don't think I'm feeling bad. I am not. I mean it. Don't try to read between the lines you devil.
Glad to hear your check came through so promptly. Don't be silly about it, use all you want to, that's what it is for.
You mentioned the fishing. I don't think there is any very close around here. I haven't seen any creeks with enough water in them to have fish. Don't worry about my entertainment, whenever I don't have anything to do I can easily spend a couple very enjoyable hours composing a letter to my honey. I really do like to write to you and if my love letters are a little clumsy and give you the impression I am blue, just disregard it and blame it on my poor ability to convey to you in writing just what I am thinking or feeling. When you can see the person speaking you can read more meaning from expression than from the actual words and now all you have is the words. I don't know if that is a good enough explanation to be convincing or not but I mean it to be. You're a devil but I love you a lot.
If that was Tib's candy it was swell as a lot of other boys could testify. We all pass our boxes around so we have quite a selection of nearly anything we want to eat. Tell Tib thanks for me.
We went out to the driving range today and had instruction on following compass courses through the woods. We worked in pairs and they gave us a course from where we were to a stake they had set out beforehand, probably a mile or more away and we would follow our compass to the place and then we would have another course from that stake to another and so on until we came back to camp. That is if we did it right and didn't get lost. Curtis and I didn't but we spent quite some time locating 2 of the stakes. Our biggest trouble was in estimating the distance. You see, they say your course is 100 miles east of magnetic north and 1700 yards out you will find a stake with your next compass bearing on and also the distance to the next stake. It is rather hard to take the same length step over rough ground, up and down hills, so a couple of times we thought we should be to our stake when we were several hundred feet short and being small the stakes were hard to find but we did it and got back in time for dinner. Two sets of boys did get lost and had to be hunted up. I was having a lot of fun. I always did want to know how to use a compass. That is probably Greek to you but it may give you an idea.
Thought I was going to be interrupted. I just got a call from the Sargent in charge of quarters. We call them C.Q. to report to him at the orderly room. I wondered what I had done to get called on the carpet and all he wanted was for me to take his place for a couple of hours, while he went to the show. So you are reading a letter written on the first sargent's desk at headquarters. He also left me three bottles of beer and some peanuts. Pretty classy for a buck private. My only duties are to turn off the lights in the barracks at 9:30 and to act smart if anyone comes in for information. There has to be someone on duty all night at headquarters and if the sargents want to leave they have to get someone to take their place. I don't mind. It gives me a nice quiet place to catch up on letter writing and seeing as how I am not a bit tired I won't miss the sleep either. He will probably be back by 10:30. In the old days that would be very early for me to go to bed. I am getting adjusted to the army hours and have not been going to bed so often at lights out and still feel just as good the next morning. Guess the old man is getting tough enough to take it again. On the mornings they don't get us up earlier than 5:30 it isn't much different hours than when at home so I shouldn't have to go to bed at 9:30.
I guess maybe I didn't sleep so well being away from your comforting presence. I miss your nice big butt pressing against my back. I could even forgive you for nearly shoving me out of the bed with it. I'll have to quit thinking about it, it riles me up just like it used to before we were married. I thought I was past that stage but I guess not anymore. I think I'm going to like you a lot when I come home, so be prepared. I'll be a wild man, bet I could even take a bite out of you.
From what you say about the weather it sure must be a backward spring. Wish I could send you some of the excess heat from here. The last couple days have been swell here, not over about 85 and with a cool breeze. It sure has been dry, not even a drop of rain for three weeks and are things dry, dust a couple inches deep all over. I'm begining to think La. should do like California and advertise continous sunshine. I haven't even seen a cloud for three weeks. It is acting a little like rain tonight.
I don't think I told you what took place at the bowl Tuesday night. We first had a lecture on why we are in this war. They have a very clever arrangement of lectures and picture shows, designed to build up a hate for all the Axis powers. The reason is obvious. A lot of it is very interesting and informative especially the shows. We had one picture a week ago that really made me sit on the edge of my seat. Title, " The Nazis Strike At Poland" It was really good. Some of this stuff is restricted so I can't say anymore about it. After the lecture they put on a display of pyrotechnics, fireworks to you, as used for signals in the army. Different colors of rockets, flares, and parachute flares used to light a large area so enemy troops can be seen. Very much like a large 4th of July display, and after that they had a battery of 37 M.M. guns shoot a barrage of shells over the bowl. It sure gave me a thrill to hear those shells scream overhaed, just like they sound in shows, and explode in the woods in back. They do things like that to acustom us to the sound of shell fire, so we won't stand with our mouth open when and if we get into actual battle. That was one bowl formation I really enjoyed a lot.
Well guess I will quit wasting my time writing to you and see if I can answer one or two of the others I have gotten. That last statement was all B.S. I would a lot rather write to you, you old darling but I seem to have an obligation to a few other people. That's what you get for having so poular a husband. I didn't know I was until you told me but the letters I get seem to bear you out so at the risk of being egotistical I will believe it. I love you honey.
Just turned the lights off on the boys. Night honey. I will write agsin as soon as I can. I'll soon have to think up some new ways of telling you I love you. The old phrases will be getting old and loose their punch. That would never do. I'll have to keep you interested so you won't look around and see something better than I. I know you won't but I'll try to keep you interested anyhow. I may even have to copy a few phrases from some of the other boy's letters I see. So far they have all been my own.
I love you so much I just seem to be able to write a sort of love letter without any practice. I'll try to improve. "Night mummy" "Oh hell I ain't ready to go to sleep yet are you?" Remember conversations along similar lines, and then I would roll over against your back and hug you. You know what happened then. Here's to the good old days when they come back again and they will, better than ever.
I was going to stop writing a page ago but here I am. I just can't leave you alone. You are so darn nice I even hate to quit writing but here goes. Night mummy dear, will see you again.
your loving soldier boy.
Norm
XXX a couple good old kisses, feel them? I can almost. Sound like a damn kid with his first girl don't I? I don't care you are my first and only girl you know.
More love.
Norm

No comments: