Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Letter # 38 June 2, 1943

June 2, 1943
6 A.M. Wed.
Hello Honey;
Happy Birthday to me. I know you are wishing me that. You're sweet. If it wasn't so far I'd send a telegram to the store and laugh at them. They can't paddle me this year. I don't feel a bit older even if I am 30 and bald headed. In fact I feel better phyisically than I have the past several years. See how tough I am. I really am in swell shape now. I have lost all the "pudge? but not skinny. Remember how I looked a year or so before we were married? Well I'm just about the same now in every way except for a few less hairs. Don't worry about me becoming so acclimated to army life that I won't want to come back to you. As soon as this is over and they release me I will make a streak of dust a mile high from where ever I am to where ever you are. This army life is O.K. for younger men with no ties but as soon as my call to duty ends I won't stay a minute longer than necessary.
Don't think from the time on this letter that I'm crazy. The whole company rolled out for 4:45 breakfast and part of them went to the firing range and part to the driving range. The rest of us are going to schools and don't report until 7:45 so I am just making use of my time. I was interupted and it is now 7:30 P.M.
I was talking to Carl Wacker at class today and he says his wife and Wayne Good's wife are down here now. Got in last eve. They came by bus and it took 54 hours. They have rented a room in Leesville for $10.00 a week and plan to stay a while. I asked him how often they planned to see them and he said, "Just on weekends." I bet the womeen get plenty sick of that. He is also running the chance of his company being restricted over a weekend for something. Our company will be restricted this weekend because 3 men were caught out on the range without their overall tops on. It doesn't seem fair to restrict the whole co. but that is the way the army works.
I don't care a bit this week. I wasn't going anywhere but it sure would make me mad if that happened and you were down here. Things are just to uncertain to plan on in the army.
I am very much pleased with the mechanics school. We have classes until 10 in the morning and then we go to our company shop and really work on vehicles. There are only 3 from our company. We have two very nice motor sargents. Sarg. Brown & Sarg. Marinics and the nicest Lt. of the bunch is motor Lt. King so I think it's going to be O.K. We are each given a complete set of tools. It sure does feel good to get some tools in my hands and a deffinite job to do again. I wish it was every day instead of 3 days a week.
Mac Stanisbury, from Wyoming, a former truck driver and mechanic and a man of my age, with a 9 mo. old boy, is one of the other two. I don't know the other one very well. His name is Botca and just out of school.
The motor Sarg. asked us a few questions and being satisfied with the answers, he turned Mac and I loose and said if we got stuck to call him so we work as we please with very little interuption. It's greasy but I'm used to that.
Just saw Wayne and Carl and their wives walk past the barracks so the girls must be staying at the guest house for a few days.
I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the insurance on the glasses. I knew it would be and that is why I suggested we leave it go. I get along so well without the glasses that I think I will only wear them for reading or close work and forget them the rest of the time. I sweat so much they would only be a nuisance anyhow. The only time I missed them at all was Sat aft. when we went to the two shows. My eyes got tired then.
We are gradually getting more and more exercise and running. Mon. morning we ran 2 miles without a break and then had 30 minutes of calisthentics after that. I was soaking wet but hardly at all tired. Will you believe me now when I say I'm tough?
Leo got his teachers job. It is part time the same as the rest of the schools, so he is happy also.
We are getting up at 4:30 tomorrow so I guess I better quit and get ready for bed.
I haven't told you many nice things in this letter, but the words are so ineffectual that I get disgusted trying to say what I mean. You're so nice I can't begin to express it in words, but I'll sure express it in actions someday. If I ever fall down again in showing I love you, just show me a few of these letters and make me realize how much I missed you while I was away. I had gotten so used to going places and doing things with you, I am lost without you. All the kick is missing. You're a devil but I love you like hell. Night honey. I'll be thinking of you.
Your hubby.
Norm
P.S. I got a card from Franklin Elder, the postman, asking if I ever saw his son. He said he hadn't heard from him since the 15th of May. I intend to write to him but I haven't had a chance. I see Dick every so often and he looks good and seems happy. He said he had gotten the packages and money his dad had sent him and would write. If you happen to see Franklin you might pass on the information and I'll write as soon as I can. Thanks.
I love you honey.
your devoted husband.
Norm

No comments: