Sunday, April 11, 2010

Letter # 7 April 11, 1943

April 11, 1943
Hi Mom Dear;
Here it is Sunday again, almost 2 weeks in the Army, and it looks like I will have most of the day to myself. I could have stayed in bed as long as I liked to this morning but I turned in at 9:30 last night and was ready to get up when the bugle blew for breakfast at 7:30. If we don't get up then we just miss breakfast as most of the boys are doing this morning. A big part of them were out till midnight fooling around. I was out a little while but didn't find anything interesting to do so I came back in and went to bed. While I was out I looked around for the boys I came down with and found some of them. Ceylon Lance, Cole, I don't know his first name, Carl Wacker, Elder, I don't know his first name either. He is the mailman's son, Good from Wadsworth and a couple of other men from the Medina board that I didn't know before. I haven't been able to locate Henry Bernhardt or K. Kris and haven't the least idea where they are. This is such a big camp it is like looking for a needle in a haystack or worse. They have theatres and other recreational halls where they had some form of entertainment but the shows were all rather poor looking and the girl shows at the Rec. Hall looked like sideshow stuff so I didn't go to any of them but sat and talked with the other Medina boys for a while and fought my way into the P.X. for a bottle of CocaCola and I mean fought. That damn place is so crowed it's almost impossible to get waited on and then they don't have anything you want. We are so far out in the sticks I guess it's pretty hard for them to get supplies in the quantity necessary.
I never saw so many bottles of soft drinks and beer consumed in one place in my life. The amount of supplies of all kinds it takes in a camp like this is beyond comprehension.
The whistle just sounded and we had to fall out. It was partial payday. I don't understand how it works yet but I got an even $5.00. The boys say it is just a partial pay to carry us until regular pay the end of the month. I don't know if you will receive any or not. I don't think so until regular pay but let me know as soon as you receive a check. There is not much opportunity to spend much money around here so I guess I will be alright.
I have spent an even $5.00 since I left home and I have had several necessary things to buy so with the 5 bucks I just received I am even again.
Our laundry will cost us $1.80 per mo. regardless of how much or how little we send. Send it out on Saturday and get it back on Friday. The army takes care of sheets and pillowcases.
While I am thinking of it you might as well send me the rest of my good underwear and handkerchiefs, also send an indelible pencil or some indelible ink and a plain pen. We have to have one or the other to mark our clothes and laundry so we can tell them apart. We can't buy anything like that around here so I have had to send my laundry without it and take a chance on getting my own back.
The climate is terrible here, hotter than hell already over 90 degrees in the daytime and maybe 60 degrees at night but it is damper than hell and I do sweat and drink water by the gallon. The food is good and have plenty of it. I don't know if I am taking off any weight but if the work doesn't the heat ought to so I expect I am. I have a few sore muscles but not too bad yet.
The exercise schedule is getting tougher everyday and they have already weeded out a few that were physically unfit and gave them limited service or in a couple of extremely bad cases, sent them home. When they give them limited service they don't have to take any more basic training but are given an office job or a specialized job of some sort.
It has only rained once and that was enough. This being a new camp the only walks are a few board walks between a few principle buildings and the rest is La. mud, the stickiest damn stuff I ever saw. After a day of that it is wash and polish shoes, leggings, scrub the barracks floor spotless and etc. Sounds like fun doesn't it. My bunk is by the door where everybody walks past it and the clay gets an inch deep. I ought to have a scoop shovel but the army says scrub it up so scrub it up I do.
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning were a continuation of the first of the week, classes on the carbine and motor equipment. Friday night I drew extra work, not as punishment but just extra work, and we went to the motor pool and cleaned machine guns until 9:00 P.M.
Saturday noon I was assigned to another detail to go back to motor pool for inspection by the brass hats. We had a couple of hours work cleaning trucks, peeps, and tanks, getting all the equipment laid out in proper order and then standing by our assigned vehicle while the big shots came along. We were finished about 4:00 and that was all for the day.
I have been very lucky so far. I have had no K.P. or any of the rest of the dirty details but I expect my time is coming.
Lt Shackelford, that is company commander, says that when we finish our training we will be able to jog for 5 miles without rest. Sounds to me like a hell of a ways.
They also say we will be very lucky if we see home again until after the war. This is strictly a combat unit and as soon as we finish our training 9 mo-1 year we will be shipped, but of course that is just talk so don't take it seriously. Anything can happen in the Army. They are giving us an accelerated course and cramming it down us as fast as possible.
The barracks sounds like a gambling hall again, the boys all just got paid and the poker games are flourishing. They don't play for pennies either. I don't see how they can do it, works like hell for a month for a few dollars and then loose it in a short time playing cards. No one here will play cards without money so I don't play cards.
The Army has athletic equipment, balls, gloves, footballs, and etc we can get and use anytime we have a chance. There is usually a ball game or so to get in on Sunday if you wish. I haven't yet had time but will afterbit.
Being one of the oldest in the barracks several of the young Romeos' are bringing their love letters to me to read and tell me their troubles. A good education if the time for that kind of education wasn't past. Don't worry. I don't regret it a bit. I would hate to have the love troubles these boys have piled on top of Army troubles. Can't you just see me in the roll of confidant to a barracks of young fellows. Funny huh? I think so yet I get a kick out of it.
Just had chow, meat loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, sliced tomato. celery, buns, chocolate milk and ice cream. We even had fruit pie yesterday.
Sat hello to everyone for me.
Your devoted husband
Norm
P.S. By the way, here is the extra garage key.

No comments: