Thursday, April 29, 2010

Letter # 17 April 29, 1943

April 29, 1943
Thurs eve. 9:08
Hi Tootsie Wuggles;
I've been neglecting you so far this week not because I wanted to but because I've been so damn busy. I didn't have time to write and I will probably have to finish this one in the latrine or out under the firelight. Tues. night we had our regular bowl formation and didn't get back until nearly 10:30 so I went to bed because i drew K.P. again for Wed. and had to roll out at 4 A.M. I guess they thought I had been too lucky on this K.P. business so they gave it to me twice very close together. I didn't get through with that until 9:15 so I went to bed again without writing to my honey.
Today we were out on the driving range so we rolled out early again, 4:30 and got back at 5:30 and then I had a short detail loading machine gun shell belts. Got through about 8:00 and had me a good old shower to wash off the sweat & Louisiana dust. If I hadn't, I think you could even have smelled me on this letter I felt that sticky anyhow. Bet you would have kicked me out of bed if I had crawled in with you that way. It was hotter than hell and dust was ankle deep. You can imagine how it would be with several hundred vehicles tearing around over the country all day when the ground is powder dry, as it happens to be here at present time.
I was taking pre-driving instructions on the tanks today. They sure are some piece of machinery. Look awkward as hell but when they have a good driver in charge they sure can get around. They will travel up to 60 miles per hour on the level and can go over a standing tree 8" to 10" thick and never even hesitate. Very interesting machinery. The boys that have driven them say they drive easier than a truck, hard to believe but nevertheless true.
Wednesday we had regular classes until 1:30 and then we went on a hike with full field equipment, about 40 lbs in all on our backs. It was about 8 miles cross country and hot as hell. The sun just seems to be a weight pressing down on your back. Several of the boys had to be picked up by jeeps and a couple more folded up after we got back, but the old man stayed with it and wasn't even too tired after I had finished K.P. at a little past 9. Pretty hard to kill even if I am a little old for this sort of stuff. The only thing that stops me is these long runs at double time they have been giving us this week. I don't get tired but my wind gives out and makes it hard to keep going towards the end.
I hurt my knee on the obstacle course the other day but it didn't get sore or hurt it just feels a little loose at times like it could bend both ways. Don't worry about it, it won't be at all serious and even if it does get bad I'll just get a rest in the hospital. Guess I shouldn't have told you this, but don't worry about it for a minute. If the damn thing is going to go bad, I want it too while I am here and can get it fixed up for nothing and not even loose any pay while it is being done. One real good point to the army. You can believe me it isn't bothering or hurting at all. I mean it.
They have stepped up the physical program this week in an effort to weed out all those that can't take it and will continue to step it up each week for two or three weeks more and then I guess it will let up for a little while, because we will have our initial basic training over and will begin to work into the jobs we are best suited to do and then we will get special training on whatever that job may be. You see, by that time they will have a fair idea of what our abilites may be.
I got a letter from Tony and will enclose it with this one. You mentioned an idea that might be starting to take shape in your pretty head, that much as I hate to do it, I'm going to have to spike before it becomes too much of an idea. That was about May going to see Tony. You couldn't come down here because there is no place for you to stay that would be close enough for me to see you anyhow.
Lake Charles, you can find it on the map I sent you,is the only place fit for a good woman to stay at and that is around 70 miles away. Our weekend passes which we are eligible for this week are only for 24 hours and bus communications are terrible here so I probably would have a hard time to get there even on weekends and certainly not at night. So that's the story.
Leesville and other small towns close to camp are so full of prostitutes and veneral disease, I am even afraid to go near the place and certainly wouldn't want you there.
I sure as hell would like to have you here but that's impossible damn it!
Glad to hear your Dad is getting his car back nearly intact, almost unbelievable isn't it.
Don't get the idea that the pictures didn't look as good as I said. They do and probably better, because I can't say just what I want to on paper for some reason, but I'll keep on trying and maybe you can get the idea.
When you are away from the only thing, you, that ever meant much to you and don't even have any contact with the things you have both known and done together, a picture, or a letter mean a lot more than I ever imagined. Kind of make a tie between us that I can see and look at whenever I want to, which is often. I get a lift and a nice warm feeling every time I look at the pictures, and I think you are more beautiful and desireable all the time. By the time I get home you better be plenty tough or I will probably break a few ribs on the first squeeze. It sure will feel good to me.
Just to show you how much I love you, here is what I did tonight. Bob Hope was here with a free entertainment and I didn't go just so I could write you a letter. I'm sweet too. I really didn't care to much to see him anyhow and I do like to write to you as often as I can. Wish it was every day. well I will have to quit now. I'm writing sitting on the crapper and am not very comfortable, beside it is past 10 and bedtime for an old man. I sure as hell don't feel like one as I think you can believe. I love you a hell of a lot and more. I agree we must be just about right. I never believed anyone could mean so much to me you old devil.
I am O.K. and feeling fine. Glad to hear you are too. Keep it up soldier and someday your soldier will be home again, probably a better husband than before. I love you for life I'm certain of that now.
Your loving soldier
Norm

No comments: