Sunday, April 18, 2010

Letter #11 April 18, 1943

April 18, 1943
Sun. Aft.
Dear wife;
rather soon to be writing again but I just got the package and your letter in the noon mail. Thanks a lot, you are a very dutiful and satisfactory wife to say nothing of being sweet also. Everything is swell, the polish, the kit, the wax, thread and all. Tell your Mother the candy was the best ever ans sure was appreciated. I have enough thread now, Hazel sent 4 spools and some candy and some cookies also. The socks were swell and the short ones are O.K. You see we wear leggings all the time on work duty so the socks don't matter much as long as they are the proper color and they were. I find that I can use some more clothes hangers if you can find any. 3 or 4 more will do the trick in good shape. Thanks a lot for all the trouble I am causing you, but I have no way of getting anything of the sort unless they have it at the P.X. which they don't down here. Shoe polishing equipment and clothes hangers are not to be had here. Don't forget to thank Mom for the candy for me, it sure does taste good. It is the first candy I have had since I have been here. They have it at the P.X. but I don't think it worth while to stand in line for an hour to get a candy bar.
Youasked about the money situation, it is O.K. I don't have an opportunity to spend much, in fact I have only spent $8.00 in the whole 3 weeks and a lot of it was on things I needed and didn't have, like those insignia patches. They give us 3 and we need about 12 and they cast $.20 apiece, so you see my money will hold out O.K. Payday isn't so far off anymore either.
I am glad to hear your money situation seems to be turning out O.K. and that you seem to be doing so well at the diner. Good for you, keep it up, I'll be back some day and let you have a rest again.
Thanks a lot, I love you and you are sweet.
Your loving husband.
Norm

No comments: