Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Letter # 13 April 21, 1943

Apr 21, 1943
Weds. eve.
8 P.M.
Hi tootsie.
Well we had a swell day on the driving range and just got back, hot , tired and dirty, but I just had a shower and shave and feel swell. That is one thing we have is good showers with plenty of hot water and a place to use my electric razor.
I drove a 2 1/2 ton army truck for quite a while and did O.K. I had said that I had never driven a truck and after I had gone around the course once the Sargent instructor thought I was fibbing to him. The only thing different than a pleasure car is that there are three gear shifts and they have to be double clutched so I knew all that and it was very elementary. After i had finished they wanted me to be instructor for a while and I did take three. They all said they knew how to drive but I sure doubt it and I was glad when the regular Sargent came back and took over. I was responsible while instructing and when that is the case I want the wheel. it is a tough place to drive, over ditches, creeks, hills, around stumps and over logs and etc. That took until nearly noon so we had chow. They bring it right out to us in big thermos containers and it was just like being on a big picnic.
All afternoon while the rest of the men got in their driving, we the ones that had driven, had classes on flag and hand signals and some field problems to solve such as pulling out a stuck peep or truck when no power was available. I am beginning to think somewhat like Steve on some of these things. These boys don't know all they should about some of these simple mechanical problems. I corrected the lieutenant in charge several times on the use of tools and block and tackle and what surprised me he even admitted he was wrong. They know what they have been taught and they try to pass it on, but most of them never had any experience in those lines until they entered the army so they still have a lot to learn. One even tried to show me how to use an axe, imagine that. We had a lot of good instruction though and learned a lot.
Tomorrow I am supposed to go on the rifle range to fire the revolver. I don't know how that will work, I never could hit anything with one of those things but we will see. That is supposed to be my second weapon. We will be out all day on the range and will have regular lessons when we are not firing.
I got a letter from Ed & Betty and will answer it as soon as I have time.
You asked about my nose. It hasn't bothered at all and I have only used drops three or four times. It never did bother me much in warm weather.
I don't know when I will write again, probably not till Sat or Sun, because tomorrow night I have some carpenter work to do and Friday night we always have to get ready for inspection on Sat. They have found out that I am a carpenter and now whenever they have some carpenter work to do they ask me to do it. Three nights this week and that is almost too much, guess I'll have to lay down on the job or they will have me working every night. I wouldn't mind if I didn't have so many things to do for myself every night, polish shoes, clean up, wash a few clothes, or sew on a button or so. When lights are out at 9:30 it doesn't give me too much time and then I can't write to you, so blame the army for the lack of letters.
I love you and think of you a lot even if I don't write and can't express my feelings very well when I do. I am much better at showing than telling as you probably know. I even pick up your picture and look at it nearly every night before I go to bed, imagine that, and wish I could be physically with you instead of just mentally. I do love you a lot and will even admit that you are sweet or even more than that but I don't know the word to use. I'll have to get ready for bed so night Mummy, I love you lots.
Your loving private,
Norm

No comments: