Monday, April 26, 2010

Letter # 16 - April 26, 1943

Monday Eve.
April 26, 1943
Dear Babe,
Got two letters from my sweet wife today, written on the 22, & 23, also got one from Hazel and ma. I seem to get better service on letters coming to camp than the ones I send from here. I don't know why unless they don't pick up the mail regular here at camp, but guess you will get them sometime.
I can't believe it but I have no extra duties tonight so I will start to write this letter even if I don't finish it. Haven't got much to say so I may have to make it purely a love letter.
Sorry to hear about your Dad's car, probably all they wanted was the tires. By the time you get this it will probably be too late and I imagine you would do it anyhow, if you can work it he is welcome to use ours as far as I am concerned. Anything like that is entirely up to you. I know you will do the proper thing because you are so sweet.
I am going to ask another favor of you, just as though you didn't already have enough to do. It is impossible to buy shoe polish down here and I have used one box and started on the second already so I guess I will have to ask you to try and find me a couple more boxes. Will you? I know you will because from your letters I would almost think you loved me and missed me a little. I was half afraid you wouldn't, just talking, I knew you would, you darling. I feel very good to know you miss me as much as much as I miss you and you surely must if you are getting those moments as you say you are. We sure will be set for another honeymoon when we get together again. I think better than the first and I believe I will appreciate you more than I did then, and that was plenty even if I didn't tell you so.
Hazel writes that you are doing swell and have lost 10 pounds, so I guess i will have to believe it. I bet you look like the gorgeous thing I married again. Even I have become streamlined again, no belly at all but I don't think I have lost much weight. The exercise and marching have just pulled up the flabby spots.
Everybody says you are being a very good little soldier and I'm proud as hell of you. The boys all like your picture a lot or at least say they do. If it look as good to them as it does to me they couldn't help but like it. It looks beautiful to me and I nearly always look at it a couple times a day. Now do you believe I love you. You'll have to because I don't know how to say it any better, but I could show you I think.
We had a tough day today. They are starting to bear down on the physical training program. They think we have toughened up enough to take it now I guess. We had an hour of calisthenics and then with no rest went on a mile cross country run. I was plenty winded and soaking wet. It's hot as hell again but otherwise I came out O.K. Nearly half the boys had to drop out of line but I was too stubborn to do it. It is surprising how those exercises and marching put a fellow in shape. A month ago that would have nearly killed me and now I don't even have a sore muscle, pretty good for an old man I would say.
After that we had gas mask drill and then went in the gas chamber to see for ourselves how they worked. the chamber was filled with tear gas, not dangerous but will make you cry like a baby. After we were in the chamber for 10 or 15 minutes and had felt no effects of gas they had us take our masks off just to show us they were doing some good, so we will have confidence in them, and made us stand in there for a minute or so. The mask was O.K. alright because I sure was crying when I came out. I haven't shed so many tears in 29 years I bet. It has no other effect on the body so don't be concerned. It was funny to see all those soldiers crying like kids. The rest of the day was taken up with gun instruction.
I broke my glasses last Friday and didn't have an opportunity to get them mailed until tonight. The medics couldn't fix that kind here so I thought best to send them home as I explained in the letter I sent with them. there shouldn't be any charge, I broke them cleaning them the same as they have broken every time, but if there is a charge pay it and it will be just one more thing I owe you. Don't be concerned about them, I have been 4 days without them and hardly miss them at all.
You mentioned busy letter writers. If I could find a real good redhead that would work for nothing I think I would employ her as a secretary. Last Sunday I wrote 12 letters and that long one to you and still have several to write to be caught up. I've used 3 boxes of stationery already. It isn't nearly as much fun to write the others as it is yours so I will spend all the time I can possibly squeeze out on yours. It's just like a long distance chat with you and even a chance to chat with you that way is a very desirable pleasure to me. You sure as hell got under my skin a lot farther than I ever thought possible, you old devil, but I love it, not even one little regret. You would sure have a hell of a time getting rid of me now. I didn't realize you had become so much a part of me until I came to the army. I would be like a lost man without you "Tootsie", so for heavens sake don't stop loving me now.
There goes the bugle for lights out so I will have to quit pronto. I love you an awful lot and I think if possible more each day. As you have probably gathered I am very well and getting along O.K. The parts of this are nearly like a love letter.
I love you
Norm

No comments: