Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Letter # 12 April 20, 1943

Apr. 20, 1943
Tues. Evening. 7:30
Hi Mummy dear;
I got two letters from you Mon. and the one with the pictures. The old place and the old woman sure look good to me, better than I ever thought they could. This army life sure makes a man appreciate wife & home and that is no shit. I am keeping several of the pictures and will send the rest back with this letter. The boys all said they would go over the hill if they had a wife and home like that to go to, but I guess that is all the more reason for me to stay and do what I can and beside that I rather like the army and would like it even more if it didn't take me away from you. We will have that second honeymoon someday. Oh boy! I can hardly wait, you're sweet.
You asked about the picture at the top. That is the guard post at the entrance to the camp and you have to have the proper credentials to either get in or out. There are guards there 24 hours a day. That tank in the center is the insignia of the 8th division of which I am a part. You see there are several regiments in a division. I am in the 80th. That doesn't mean there are 80 regiments in a division but is just a number. Then there are several battalions in a regiment and several companies in a battalion and several platoons in a company. I don't know if that is a very good word picture of the make up of a division or not but maybe you can get it. You see it has to be divided into groups to make it possible to handle it. No man could handle the no. of men in a division or regiment or even battalion so it is all broken into companies and each company is commanded by either a captain or a first Lt. In my case, a first Lt. and then each of the four platoons in our company are commanded by a second Lt. and a non com Sargent and each commander has to take his orders from the next higher rank all the way up the line.
You wondered why I couldn't find the other boys very often. This camp is so damn big I haven't seen but a small part of it yet. That unless you know exactly where to look it would be sheer luck to find that one man in 15 or 20 thousand when they are scattered over such a large area. It is about 3 miles from where I am to where K.Kirk is and in the little time we have it is almost impossible to get together.
You mentioned Kenny said they weren't being fed very well. I think that is because he is a little particular and probably being a meat cutter he always had the best and only what he wanted. The army on this side is rationed about the same as civilians I understand. The meals don't taste as good as you put out but it is good wholesome grub and well planned for vitamins and such. We have pie and cake 3 or 4 times a week. I think it is O.K. We also have a lot of fruit, apples, grapefruit, and oranges so I think I am eating very well. Had ice cream Sunday. It sure tasted good. It seems to be scarce down here.
The sore muscles are all gone for the time and I am feeling swell. We had our first go at the obstacle course today and that is going to be plenty tough when we get to running it against time. You have seen pictures of them in the papers. Over a series of jumps and under logs raised a foot or so off the ground, over board fences 8' high and higher ones 12' to 14' with the aid of ropes and jump off the far side and every kind of obstacle you can think of. The part we were over today is about 1/2 mile long and we are supposed to cover it at as fast a run as we can. I made it O.K. but was nearly winded. I guess it will be lengthened when we get so we can take this one. I don't feel any sore spots tonight so I guess I did O.K. It's fun.
This afternoon we went for a 6 mile road march with full field pack and that was duck soup for me. Didn't hardly even sweat. The old man is getting to be a tough baby so watch out when I come home. The belly is all gone but I don't know how much weight if any. There isn't a scale on the place that I have found.
You must be getting back your girlish figure with the loss of 9 pounds. I'll think I have a new wife. Rather relieved and glad to hear you are making out so well and that everyone is looking after you now that I can't. I' almost jealous but glad too. Keep it up baby you're doing fine.
The classes are still going on, every few days a new one. I have been studying the 30 cal. machine gun, and can take one all apart in 30 seconds. Third fastest in the bunch. We are also having classes in first aid, map and compass reading, and instruction on how to take care of ourselves in gas warfare. It sure looks like they weren't going to forget anything we should know. It is nearly like going to school again. Most of it is very interesting but they give it to us so fast it is rather hard to digest and remember it all. I'm doing as good as any though.
Tomorrow we are going to the driving range again. I hope it is better weather than last Friday and it looks like it would be, the rain stopped last night and it was clear and warmer today. It has been rather cool for nearly a week now. I even had my wool underwear on a couple of days. It gave me a pleasant rest from the heat we had the first couple of weeks.
Well I guess I better quit and get ready for bed. We will have to roll out at 4;30 and get ready for the driving range.
Thanks for packing the box with the funny papers and Parade. I enjoyed them a lot and so did most of the boys. It was very thoughtful and sweet of you. You are a peach and I love you lots and lots and more than that.
Your loving soldier,
Norm.

No comments: