Sunday, April 25, 2010

Letter #15- April 25, 1943

Apr 25, 1943
Sunday morn
8:00
Dearest Tootsie Wuggles,
They tell me this is Easter Sunday, so I will wish you a happy Easter even though the words reach you several days late. The days go so fast I can't keep track of them and had no idea it was Easter until they announced the Easter services last evening. About 1/2 of the boys are going but I would sooner stay in and write to my darling wife and some others. I received a letter from Steve, Garnet,Mick & Louise, Ed & Betty, Gus & Vi, and several from my darling wife this past week so I have several to write today in return.
Steve didn't have much to say except to hand me a few verbal flowers and to say he was expecting to be shipped at any time. He a
has never mentioned doing anything for me since the one letter he wrote shortly after he was home last winter but I am well satisfied here, the only thing I was hoping was maybe he would get me out of this hot climate for the summer, but I really don't care much. If the other thousands of men here can stand it I surely can, and I know I will like the work as well as any he could get me, beside I am not more in debt to him. Old independent me talking again. the only place i have lost my Independence is where you are concerned. Darn you and yet I like it and wouldn't change for the world, so there too.
According to all the rest of the kids they miss me a little too, probably a little bunk but very nice to hear. It's nice to know you are important to others.
The Easter parade is just going by headed by a swell military band and the good old colors of U.S.A. I watched them go by and almost wished I was marching with them just to march with the band. A good military band still affects me as much and I believe more than ever. Most of the time we do our marching without band and no matter how tired I am when we are led by a band I can just step out and strut. I don't know why but it just does something to me, always has. They have several very good bands in the division and I sure like to hear them.
I got the ink and underwear and handkerchiefs yesterday, just in time to save me a laundry job today. As it is, all I have to wash is my work clothes. I only have one set of them yet and they sure need it by Sunday. I can't wash them during the week, because nothing will dry down here at night, too damp.
good old Mummy always comes through, you're sweet.
You say you are not sure what I am in so I will attempt to tell you. The official name is 8th Armored Division of the 3rd Army of the U.S.A. It is just about what you said in one of your letters, the motorized branch of the land forces. I compare with the branch of the German Army called panzer of which I know you have heard. It will be our job in combat to break through and open the way for the infantry foot soldiers. Nearly all of our fighting will be done from our machines, although if our machines are put out of action we will fight on foot the same as the infantry. The only difference between the infantry and the armored force is that we are mounted in vehicles, tanks, half tracks, jeeps, peeps, and etc. instead of being on foot with rifles we have machine guns and light cannon mounted on our vehicles. We will also have rifles but won't use them unless we have to leave our machines for some reason or other. We not only have to learn and take the same training as the infantry but also have to learn to handle and maintain all the motorized equipment. That is the reason we have so many classes and will be in training so much longer than the other branches of the service. The insignia that
I sent you, is the symbol of the division and has a meaning. The 8 is for 8th division. The lightening is symbolic of fast striking power, the gun for light artillery, the caterpillar tracks for tanks. I hope that explains it a little better.
I sure am glad to hear you are getting along so well. It relieves me a lot although I would still like better than anything in the world to be there to take care of you and have you take care of me but as you say it can't be, so don't bellyache. The only time I feel like bellyaching is on Sunday when we aren't busy and I get to thinking of home and writing letters to my friends.
Don't ever worry about me forgetting you, you devil, most of the time I am not busy I spend thinking of you and loving you by remote control. As I said before in quoting the old saying, about absence making the heart grow fonder, it sure has in my case and I thought I loved you all I could before, but I sure was wrong. If it is any comfort to you to know you are the first and only person I have ever really missed when I was away from home. I sure as hell do miss you. I guess I am learning to write love letters and like you it is my first experience and rather fun. You don't know how much it means to me to read that you love me. It makes me feel like floating as you say, all day and even creeps in between the words of a lecture on some gun or other every once and a while. So if I don't learn all I should I will blame it on you, but don't stop, I love it and will manage to learn a little more than the average anyhow.
Most of these boys are kids and don't take it as a serious job and a lot of them have very little ability so I shouldn't find it hard to keep up even if you do get mixed up in my thoughts when I am doing something else. Physically I am handicapped by these young bucks but never fear I am holding my own and feeling very fit and happy. No sore muscles or anything anymore and I can keep up with all but a few of them in anything.
Only 10 more weeks of basic training left. The weeks sure do fly. Just think 4 weeks since I have seen my beloved wife. In lots of ways it hardly seems that long but in respect to you it seems a hell of a lot longer.
The other day when I wrote I mentioned going on the range to actually fire the revolver. Well we did and although I didn't do anything spectacular I don't think I did so badly either. I made a score of 209 out of a possible score of 270 and the highest score made was 230. It was better than I expected. I only missed by one point qualifying for sharpshooter. If I can keep that up a do a little better in the next tries, I will be well pleased. That score doesn't mean that many shots. We only fired 40 shots apiece and the score is figured from the value of each shot on the target. I only got 3 bulls eyes but most of my shots were within a couple of inches and would sure have gotten any Jap that I was shooting at. I was rather surprised at how little those 45's kick, about the same as if you would shoot your 410 with one hand.
Friday I got my first taste of K.P. They were taking each man alphabetically when they don't have enough on punishment detail, and my turn came up. I have done worse jobs but boy did I wash dishes until I was blue in the face. At breakfast and dinner I washed every dish from the tables for about 250 men, more dishes than I ever saw. I'll be able to get a job as dish washer at the diner when I come home. It was a hot day and I sure did sweat standing over that dish washing sink. It's about the size of two bathtubs set end to end. I think I sweat enough to fill them once at least.
At night my carpenter classification came in handy. I had just started to wash dishes and the mess Sargent came in and asked me what the hell I was doing washing dishes when I hadn't finished his bread box yet so he got a man to relieve me and I went to work on that, not bad luck. It was quite a long day though from 4 A.M. to 9P.M. Good thing I was used to long days.
Saturday was just a regular day except for inspection in the afternoon. After inspection they got a crazy idea and moved a lot of us from one barracks to another so we would be all together from our respective platoons, so I had to move in with a bunch of other fellows. Leo Marks, he is back from the hospital, is still with me and of course I knew most of the others from working with them so it isn't much of a change.
After that was over I got a slight advancement. The platoon Sarge made me squad leader and I am responsible for about 14 men. See that they do as they are supposed to and if not report to him. I don't know if I like it or not but I'm it so that is that.
no duties at all today. Got up at 7:00 A.M. had breakfast, a whole grapefruit and boy are they good, lots better than most of them we get at home, they are raised just over in Texas, sausage, scrambled eggs, toast and jam, cornflakes and coffee, not bad I say, and I forgot, a nice big apple. After breakfast I sat down to write this letter to you and will answer a few of the others also.
They haven't yet let us change to summer uniforms, but I don't wear my woolen socks or underwear anymore. I think we will change any day now. It sure is warm enough to, again, I bet it was 95 yesterday. It cools off at night so it is chilly and towards morning I have to use my second blanket so it is nice sleeping. If it is that way all summer it won't be bad but if it stays hot at night I won't like it.
There are more men of my age in this barracks and I think it will be O.K. after we get well acquainted. My next bed fellow, next cot to mine, is a man about 28 with a wife and year old baby. He is from Philadelphia and was a crockery salesman until drafted, so he knows hardware a little from his customers. His name is Carol Moore. Big fellow, still weighs about 220 and is a couple of inches shorter than I. Seems like a very nice fellow. We exchanged pictures and etc. and are getting along fine.
Well I guess as much as I like to write to you, because it is rather a poor imitation of being with you, I will have to quit or I won't fulfill my obligation to answer these other letters. It is already 10:30 and I have had a couple of hours with you and I enjoy every minute of them so I hate to quit but other things need doing. I will write again as soon as I can.
I saw a bunch of W.A.C.S. in camp here last night, there is a camp of them at South Camp Polk but don't worry or get jealous because even though they were the first women I had seen in several weeks I wouldn't trade the lot for one look at you. They sure don't look good to me. Seem to be mostly the tough kind and then the uniforms and weather beaten faces don't help them any. A lot of the boys that have been here long enough to leave camp are taking them out and according to them getting all they want, and I don't doubt it from the looks of most of the girls. Even if I am a little ornery they sure don't affect me. I would probably be scared if one even looked at me. I would have to be damned hard up to even think of taking one out if I was single, and now, knowing you are waiting for me and are so darn nice I couldn't even think of it. I'll be pure and nearly virgin again when I come back to you.
That picture postcard I sent was just an indication of desire to like you like I used to and not a comparison. As far as you are concerned maybe that is why these girls are not attractive to me. I really mean all this. It's not just a bunch of B.S. and I will make you believe it when I see you again. Wish it was now. I do love you an awful lot and you better believe it to. So long Tootsie Wuggles I'll be seeing you sometime and am looking forward to the day.
Your loving husband,
Norm
P.S. The underwear fit swell so I can't be loosing too much but the belly is definitely gone, straight as an arrow. the handkerchiefs will be sufficient and thanks a lot for the candy & peanuts. Very thoughtful of you.
You're Sweet!

No comments: