Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fool's Day Letter

Apr. 1, 1943

Dear Babe;

As I write these letters I will try to take up where I left off with the last and if you will keep them it will serve as a diary. We are not allowed to keep one with us but we can send them home. I am writing this on the train so excuse the jerks. Wed afternoon after our shots we had an hour or so to rest and went out and drilled all afternoon till 5 oclock...chow, then back to barracks for shipping call. Some of the boys had been at fort Hayes as long as 2 weeks and one I know of had been there for 28 days. He sure was sick of the place. I guess I was lucky to be shipped so soon. All the boys say that the reception center is the worst part of the army. If that is so it won't be so bad. Tony and Fred Hazen did not get called but most of the rest from Medina did. They were feeling pretty bad about it.

We all agreed to send our addresses to the other fellows wife and have them forward them so we can keep in touch. I was so dam tired from all we had been through, the shots, the cold and all the marching with very little sleep. You can imagine what a barracks with about 600 beds, all full, would be like. It never quiets down until at least 12 midnight and they began to call for those on K.P. and special detail at 3:00 and it was hard to sleep after that. I went to bed at 9:00 and was so sleepy the noise did not disturb me much but we were called out at 3:00 A.M> to get ready to go. I left much better than last night although a long ways from top shape yet.

We had all answered roll call and assigned to shipping groups by breakfast time, about 300 of us.

after breakfast another short arm inspection and a few more sent for treatment and then at liesure until 10:30 A.M. when I called you. From 10:30 until 1:00P.M. was one of those periods I don't like. On duty with nothing to do but wait in one spot until they get ready to do something. At 1:00 we got on the train and started rolling. They say we are in for a long ride but that is all they say.

It's now 2:20 and we are in Xenia so it looks like we are going southwest although I am not so sure of the location of Xenia.

I have been separated from all the boys I know and we are not allowed to leave our car. The car is a daycoach pullman, no berths so will have to sleep sitting up. I guess I will take a nap now.

Through Dayton, Richmond, Ind. The officers are dropping hints about a 300 mile trip but I don't take it very seriously yet.

The farmers out here are all sowing oats and the tree buds are well advanced.

The U.S.O. meets the train every so far and gives and gives out magazines and books which I imagine will be very welcome in a day or so. Indianapolis at chow time 5:00. West and ever westward to Terra Heute.

We have a special kitchen car in the train and they pick some fellows for K.P. on it each meal. We all have to keep it clean around our own chair.

We are not at all crowded, theere being only 40 in our car so we can stretch out fairly comfortable. There are several poker and blackjack games going on so I am passing my time reading, writing, and sleeping.

Tell Mick and Louise that their donation of aspirin has come in very handy. First Kenny and Tony used them at Fort Hayes and bought me some more and now I have used them.

8P.M. Sopringfield, Ill and still going west. 10P.M. Just arrived at St Louis and are being switched to another track so it will probably be a puzzle where we are until morning.

7:30 Friday morning and we have just had breakfast. We were very puzzled as to where we were until just now we pulled into Johannesburgh, Arkansas and are heading southwest. It has been rather interesting to not know where you are going although we would like to know. From hints the officers drop we are to be on the train all day at least.

We all slept fairly well and I am in much better shape than I was. The officers look worse than the boys.

No comments: