Friday, June 18, 2010

Letter #46 June 19,1943

June 19, 1943
Sat eve. 1735
Dear Wifey;
Don't worry I forgive you for missing writing me a letter on Tues. I think you have done darn well to write a letter every day for the 12 weeks I've been gone. I haven't done nearly that well by you, and I know you have plenty to keep you busy. I don't see how you do it. You're sweet to spend all that time and energy on me. I love to hear from you but as I've said before don't make it a burden. If you are tired or too busy forget it. If I get three or four a week I'll be satisfied. Maybe then I could match you letter for letter.
Boy is it hot. They tell me it was 110 degrees today.
I have drawn my first duty as acting corporal. I am C.Q. [charge of quarters] from 1600 Sat to 1200 Sunday. It's a rather bust evening, all the boys are coming in for passes and it is my responsibility to write them out and see that they are properly dressed to leave camp.
This week they all are to be able to draw out a battle bivouac plan, locating all the different units in the position they would assume in battle. I am writing this letter in between passes so if I get a battle plan mixed up in it think nothing of it. There are three fellows drawing their plans here at the present time. When they get stuck I help them a little. They only posted this plan yesterday and while it isn't hard to learn, some of these boys aren't to fast in the head and get twisted up. The weekend pass means a lot to these hard working boys and I think a lot of this stuff is horse shit anyhow, so I help them a little. These single fellows and some of the married ones just have to get to town or they aren't happy. I don't know why. We have everything here at camp they can find in town except licquor and bad women and we even have some of them here. But they seem to want to go.
So you stayed alone all night and nothing happened. Wish I could sneak in some night when you are all alone. But something would happen then. As long as I'm out of the state you will be safe enough. Other men don't know how nice you are to love or you might have company. I was just looking at your picture and the thought struck me that it's been so long since I've seen you I'll have to get acquainted all over again. Bet I don't wait three months before I kiss you like I did when we first went together. I was bashful and afraid of you then. I won't be either this time. Probably be very brazen and on the make within a short time. I love you honey ever so much.
So you sit and write to me in your underclothes and say you know what I would do if I was there. You may have an idea but I would be a lot worse than I was when I left you. I sure would like to feel you up good and maul and chew the old things. I get so excited just thinking about it. I can't even spell old. Just think, I haven't even really talked to a woman since I left you. I'll be a man's man and won't even know how to act when I get home again. You did so teach me a lot and it'll be fun to have you as a teacher again. Only I won't bring you any apples to gain favor. I'll just love you till you holler quits.
You should see me when I write my letters; usually sitting on my bunk stark naked and writing on my knee. If you could see me maybe you would do something. The boys all think I'm in good fighting trim and am a fair figure of a man again. If they keep up the present training schedule I'll stay that way too. Hard as nails and can take nearly anything.
I got Louise's cookies yesterday and were they good. I got more than a taste. I'm getting smart and keeping quiet when I get something like that. Just a few special friends get in on it. Selfish am I not?
You're playing me dirty telling me you have a surprise for me in a couple weeks and letting me wonder what it is. I'll fire you someday. I do like surprises from you and would bet I'll enjoy whatever it is. You're sweet and even if you do tease me I love you.
I haven't heard a word from Tony either. I wrote last several weeks ago and he never answered. I guess he is having a tough time of it.
Glad to hear the strawberries are doing so well. I was rather surprised after the weather you had that they came so early. Very nice of Art to let you freeze some, so I can have a shortcake when I come home. That's a date. We had shortcake here once several weeks ago. It was very good but I'll still take yours when I can get it.
It just doesn't seem possible Bob Kindig is old enough to get married but I guess he is. Wish him all the luck in the world and hope he got as good a wife as I did. That honeymoon business would be swell. Don't worry we'll have it again sometime and it'll be a dandy.
I didn't get a chance to see Leo's girl while she was here. She had to leave Thurs. and we were out on bivouac so Leo didn't even know where she went until she wrote and told him. She stayed 4 days at the guest house and then had to leave. She hadn't decided where she was going to stay at the time. She is now in DeRidder and Leo has K.P. tomorrow so unless he can trade with someone he won't be able to see her. I can't help him because I'm on duty until 1200 and K.P.'s go on at 0530. I won't have K.P. anymore so long as I have these stripes so I didn't do so bad, only 3times since I've been in. I think it about the hardest work in the army.
Max Stansbury got a telegram last night. His wife was getting in Leesville at 1400 today so he went in and succeded in getting a room. They kept us on duty until 1600 today so he couldn't meet her. She didn't know where the room was and I'm wondering what she did until he got there. I'm just telling you these things so you can see why I didn't want you to come down unless I can't get home. I'm afraid it would be very unsatisfactory to you.
It isn't like in civilian life. If you really had somthing to do you could get off or arrange it for your off time, but here there is no set duty time. We are on duty 24 hours a day and never know for sure when we will be off.
We didn't have anything new happen the past three days except the blackout convoy we were starting out on when I wrote the last letter. It was one of those beautiful nights I have told you about. Bright moonlight and nice and cool. They are really made for loving but I didn't have anything to love.
That kind of driving is rather tricky even in bright moonlight. We are supposed to keep about 50 yards between vehicles but the dust and deceptive light fool your eyes and the first thing you know you are either way behind or too close to the vehicle ahead. I drove part of the way. We, Max & I were in the maintenance half track truck and were the last in the column. We had one tank and one truck go haywire and stopped and fixed them. That is part of my job if I stay a mechanic. I still like my school. It is getting more interesting everyday. We had a test Friday and I got 100 in it. Couldn't do much better could I? Max got 94 so he is doing O.K. also. We didn't drive as long as they had said we would. We were back at bivouac area about 0200 and the cooks had rolls and coffee waiting. Then Max and I crawled in our little tent and caught a little sleep. Up at 0530, had breakfast and spent the morning running tanks up on stumps and then learning how to get them off. Also learned how to build a boat out of a canvass that will carry a peep across a river. Sure is a wide selection of things to learn.
I missed a nice convoy trip Friday because I was in school. The boys took off early and covered about 150 miles and they say they saw some nice country and also some nice girls. One of them was telling about what he called a swamp girl walking up the road. Said she had the best pair of bubbles he had seen in a long time. They evidently weren't supported, because he said they sure shook nice as she walked. Nearly broke up the convoy. Good thing I wasn't along and driving. I know I would have looked and maybe went in the ditch.
We had another big inspection today. Had all our clothes laid out on our bunks. We all passed O.K.
I guess they finally have a 3rd suit of suntans for me. Sure need them down here. I wear clothes for a short time and they are soaked with sweat.
Well honey I guess I'll quit for tonight and get my bunk made up here in the orderly room. Most of the passes will be in by 0100 and then I can sleep. I'd like a nice bed partner about your size. Night honey, take care of yourself.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: