Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Letter # 44 June 14, 1943

June 14, 1943
Mon eve 6:30
Hello honey, you old devil
Got two letters from you today. Your Wed. and Thursday ones. From the way you wrote in that Thurs one, you are also becoming a letter writer. Nearly a volume and after you hadn't had any sleep for 24 hours. I can hardly believe it. Maybe army training is good for you also.
I really had to laugh at your being locked out. I thought I had put a key in the bird feeder before I left. Did you look behind the box that holds the grain? It just lifts out. It seems I can remember putting one there but maybe we just talked of it. Glad you got in so easy.
How are the Barrs coming with the house? I got a short letter from Jr & Garnet and also the Gazette so I had a lot of reading this evening.
The Company is throwing a beer party for us tonight along with supper. We will eat at 7:30 and then drink beer for the evening. All the profits from the P.X. except 10 which is given to the manager, who is a civilian, are divided among the companies of this regiment and our co. is spending some of our fund for this party tonight.
I see by the Gazette that Larry Newberry is an instructor at the airport. Glad to see he is going to get some good out of all his training.
They just sounded the call to come and get it.
Hello Honey;
This is Tues noon. Boy was that a party. We had 80 gal. of beer and 30 cases of soft drinks, cold sandwiches, pickles, olives, cookies, and potato salad. I even ate a little of the latter but concentrated most on the rest. For some reason or other only about 90 men were present so that made nearly a gal. of beer per man so you can imagine what this part of the army looked like last night about 10 P.M. Remember some of those [Spelling lesson #2] wild parties we used to have when we all wound up sleeping here and there? Well multiply the number of persons till you have 90 and you can see what I mean. We didn't have time enough for any of them to go to sleep but most of them didn't reach the barracks before they were heaving their toes.
The men that planned the party had dug up some singers and entertainers from the ranks and even though unrehearsed they were really good. In the condition most of us were in they seemed doubly good.
All the officers put in an appearance about an hour after the party started and were good fellows. All rank forgotten. They each told a story or sang or whatever they could do and in general took a good ribbing from the men.
Hello Honey. This is now Tues eve. To continue my story. We got in the barracks and spent the next two hrs taking care of drunks. Carry 'em down to the showers and throw them in. It's a rather effective remedy. After we had sobered them up we made them clean up the mess where they had heaved on the floors. Boy it was some mess.
I had my share of beer also but didn't get sick. The first time I've been feeling high for a long time.
We had a 10 mile forced hike this morning and everyone made it. 10 miles in 1 hr 58 minutes. Very good for a bunch of drunks. You should have seen us when we came in. The beer made everyone sweat so much we looked like we had been walking in a heavy rainstorm. When a bunch of fellows can do that after such a party, it's my opinion they are in top shape. Didn't seem to be anyone very tired.
I can't see too well to write this so excuse it if you can't read it. I'm crying believe it or not.
This evening was regimental parade and while we were on the parade grounds a P40 swooped over us and dropped a gas bomb, tear gas. Maybe you think that formation didn't break up in a hurry. The officers were 15 minutes getting us all back in ranks. The Colonel nearly tore his hair out. Here he was showing his regiment to a bunch of brass hats and his men were crying so much they couldn't see to stay lined up. The parade was very sloppy. No one seems to know the story on the gas but seems to think some bastard was playing or it was done by mistake. At dress parade we don't have our masks so we just had to take it. Doesn't hurt, just makes the eyes and nose smart so you cry like hell. It's clearing up now.
Have another bowl formation tonight so if this letter ends abruptly you know the fallout was sounded.
I talked to Carl and Wayne yesterday. Carl was restricted over the weekend so he was really mad. They didn't know if Kenny's wife was here yet or not. I asked Wayne how his wife liked Leesville and he said she was the same as everyone else, didn't like it but was glad to be here because of him. Carl seconded it. It's just what I thought they might stay but not because they liked it.
Leo's girl arrived Friday and they spent the weekend in Lake Charles. He says they had a hell of a time finding a place to stay but had a swell time. She is now here at the guest house. He says they haven't made any plans yet, but seems to think she will go home soon. I haven't seen her so I can't tell you anything about her.
So Louise is sending a contribution. Good for her. They won't be wasted I bet.
It might be nice for you to have a man to keep you company but I don't think I would approve unless he was too old to be interested in a nice exciting female and seeing that female is you, he'd have to be so close to dead he would probably smell and wouldn't be very nice to have around. I'll find myself a fiery southern gal if you get anything else.
Do you believe in dreams? last night the beer must have disturbed me. It seemed like I was dreaming all night. I was being transferred. I don't know where. I was sure having a hell of a time packing my barracks bags and getting to the train. I had just found you someplace when they yelled "hit the deck". When I did the "old thing" was standing up ready for business. I had only just met you in a dream and hadn't even kissed you yet. See how I'll be when I really see you and get you in my arms again. Boy-Oh-Boy-Oh-Boy. Will that be fun. I love you honey and miss you a lot.
I guess the co. is going out on a 3 day bivouac tomorrow morning and I'll have to go out to sleep tomorrow night and Thursday so I probably won't have a chance to write until Sat. or Sun. Even though I neglect you, just remember I mean all I have written in every letter I have written you. Night honey. I'm loving you.
Your hubby
Norm

No comments: