Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Letter # 45 June 16, 1943

June 16, 1943
Wed aft. 2 P.M.
My darling wife.
They changed plans a little. Instead of going on bivouac this morning we aren't going until 2000 tonight. I get so used to writing time that way it just slipped in so I'll leave it and explain in case you don't understand. In the armed forces time is spoken of in periods of 24 hours starting at midnight, instead of two 12 hr. periods. Thurs. 8 P.M. is 2000 and any time up to 10 is written as 0600 or 0130 or 0215 or whatever time it is. There are always 4 figures. That eliminates the chance of forgetting to put AM or PM on and making a mistake as to which period it is meant for.
We are leaving tonight about 2000 on an all night mounted road march under blackout conditions, no lights on any vehicles. That'll sure be a new experience. If it is clear it won't be bad because we now have nearly full moon. I don't know if I will be driving or not. They gave us this afternoon off to sleep or whatever. I tried to sleep but it is so damn hot I was drowned in no time so I thought I'd write my honey a letter. We will bivouac someplace along toward morning and come back either tomorrow night or Friday.
I'm sitting out back of the barracks under a tree trying to keep somewhat cool while I'm writing, but I'm not very successful. Sweat keeps trying to get on the paper and mess it up.
You won't have to worry about the W.A.A.C.S. luring me off the straight and narrow anymore. They are discontinuing the training center for them here. I don't know why, unless they had to send too many pregnant ones home. So there's one worry off your mind. Now all you have to worry about is these southern gals. I still haven't seen any that looked as good as my memory of you. You must have something honey, to be as far away as you are and still holding my interest to such an extent. How do you do it?
I know you're sweet, nice looking, have a very suggestive and interesting shape with lots of nice soft curves, but so have other girls and still I'm not interested in doing more than looking. I do plenty of that whenever I get a chance. What have you got honey that keeps me so securely tied? The answer must be you made me love you and I'll never get over it. I don't want to either. I'm very much satisfied with the grand little wife I've got and love her so much it hurts, but it hurts good. I'll show her some fancy loving the next time I get a chance. Just think honey we'll both be the same as virgins again. Whoope!!!
I have a few things to do yet this afternoon and I'm going to try to take a nap again. Bye darling. Don't forget I love you and always will. You're sweet. Here's a nice kiss and a couple squeezes.
your loving soldier
Norm

No comments: