Thursday, June 10, 2010

Letter # 40 June 7, 1943

June 7, 1943
Mon. Eve. 8 P.M.
Hello sweetheart;
I got two letters from you today. One from Tib and some pictures and one from Hazel & Mom. Really hit the jackpot on mail.
I'm going to have to hurry this letter so don't feel bad about hurrying yours to me. I have been so damn busy I hardly have time to write to you the way I want to but I'll do the best I can and write to the others when I can.
I was very much pleased to hear the news of your going back to teaching. Remember that is what I thought you ought to do all along. Teaching may be hard but other jobs are just as hard if not harder. The one you have now is about as hard as any job you could have. I know what it is to wait on customers and I bet you do by now. It's no cinch and the hours you have are terrible. I'm very glad you decided to change and was secretly hoping it would happen that way. Poe is very handy and in that job you will be able to get gas and probably even tires if need be. I think you'll find teaching much easier than working at the Diner.
If you are worried about the nights you know what I told you. Do anything with the place you want to. You're the boss and I know whatever you do will be O.K. with me.
As for the vacation you do what you want but I think you should rest for at least a month or so before you go to school. You've earned it and can stand it financially from what you say you have in the bank. I always was afraid the Diner would be too much work along with keeping the place and everything going. I was afraid you were going to wear yourself out. I sure as hell don't want you to do that. I want my wife back as she was when I left her and not worn out. Just do as you please. As you say you're very sensible.
As far as coming down to see me, don't worry about that yet. By the end of the summer things may be changed a lot. We were told that after basic the schedule would slow down as it usually does in most camps, but if anything it has speeded up here. This is only a guess on my part and probably is entirely wrong, but from what I see, my guess is they are either going to rush our training and ship us out early in the fall, or move us from this camp. There are and have been for some time rumors to the effect that the 8th Division is moving to Pine Camp, New York. I didn't put much stock in it until the past few days and that is the reason I hadn't mentioned it, but the way they are training us I believe there is something in the air. They are calling all the sargents and officers out and having them take the same exercises we do, which is something they never have done. This entire outfit is being put in top physical shape for something. Gen. Devers who was our commander until he was recently sent to Africa to replace the foriegn commander of the Armored Forces has made the statement publicaly, that he wants the 8th as soon as they can be trained.
That suits me, these camps would get to be old stuff if we were here too long. Due to the fact that the desert fighting is over I wouldn't be surprised if they did move us north for maneuvers because it is my belief that the Armored Forces will drive on Germany from the north.
Don't be alarmed or get your hopes up about all this. It is only a guess on my part and may be only wishful thinking. It would be nice to go to N.Y. for training. I'd be quite a little closer to you then. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
The schedule for the Co. was tough today. 30 minutes of exercises and then 2 miles of running without a stop. I'm really in good shape, wasn't even tired. I then went to my mechanics class, but the rest of the boys not going to school went on a fast road march 5 miles in a little over an hour with full packs and it was about 106 degrees here today. Then they kept them busy at other training all day. That is a sample of the training we are getting now.
Tomorrow I will be with the Co. and we are scheduled for a 200 mile motor march. That is in trucks, tanks, and etc. They are also training the tank men to load their tanks on railroad cars.
This letter is as you said of yours, all business and not much love letter. I do love you a hell of a lot and hope I can show you sometime soon. I bet I've forgotten how to love by this time but I'm willing to have you teach me again. I'll probably be ornery like I used to be before we were married. You used to worry and feel sorry for me because you were a good girl. Or were you? You were for a while anyhow. That won't be necessary this time so watch out. I'll be a wild man. I love you honey.
Honestly honey, I'm tickled pink you are going back to teaching. I think it'll be swell for you. I probably won't be gone more than a year and that will work swell. Even if I get home sooner your teaching won't interfer much so good luck to you. You can do it. You're sweet and the best wife ever.
I'm going to take a shit, shower and shave and go to bed. Maybe I can dream of you again. I love you honey.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: