Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Letter # 445 August 8, 1944

New Guinea
Tues. eve
Aug, 8, 1944
Hi Legs;
I'm still looking at that picture and showing it too.  I like it.  You're a tease and a devil.  I love you like that.  I can see that "look" on your face.  Wish I had been there.  I'd have taken some of the tease out of you. 
Got another letter today.  July 29th.  It was mailed the 31st so that's about as good service as we'll ever get, I'd think.  I'm glad to hear you finally got the money.  I was beginning to wonder a bit.  That money is precious.  It's part of our post war vacation.  If you won't spend it yourself we'll spend it together or use it for something we both want.  I wish though honey, you'd buy yourself something for an anniversary present out of it.  I can't send you anything but written protestations of love this year.  I'll be sending oceans of them all the time.  Do that, will you please?  I love you. 
You said you couldn't recognize Gebby in the mechanics picture.  You're right.  He wasn't there.  He was more thoughtful than I and was slipping a call through to his wife when the picture was taken.  I can't remember how the officers were seated in the big pictures.  Someplace in the outfit there is a complete roster.  I'll see if I can find it and send it to you. 
This deluge of mail the past few days has everyone feeling good.  Who says, "An army fights on its stomach"?  From indications I'd say it was letters from home.  They may not be as lasting as plenty to eat, but to this guy, at least, they are a wonderful help. 
I'm not the only one either.  I was talking with Leo tonight.  He hadn't had any letters for over two weeks and yesterday he got 15 all at once.  Sure made him feel good. His wife is doing fine and expecting in about a month.  By the way.  I showed your leg appeal picture to him.  Remember now.  He is a teacher and also a good Catholic.  He looked more than once and said, "Doesn't that make you wish you were back home?"  Rather expressive I'd say. 
The army is offering correspondence courses in almost every kind of subject and Leo has asked for another pre-college course.  Just to keep from getting rusty he says.  Here is the meat of this long story.  He is expecting to go to Ohio State for his doctors degree after the war.  Might be we'd meet again someday.  He hasn't quite got his masters yet, but says he only has a few hours work left on it.  That's the kind of men the army uses for corporals.  Know more than most officers of any rank. 
I must quit gabbing and answer a few of these many letters I have here.  July 8.  I'm sorry if I was "a bit vague and far away" that last night in Cleveland.  I was trying not to be and thought I was fooling you.  I should have known you'd see through me.  Guess you always have.  I was very much afraid and still not admitting it to myself, that it was apt to be a hell of a long time until I'd see you again.  You'll just have to excuse me.  Leaving you for only a few days is bad enough to say nothing of months and - well, who knows? I couldn't be as brave about it as you were and have been all the time.  You're wonderful, sweetheart.  I love you so much.  We did have a splendid evening which I'll never forget.  You can read again that June 11 letter.  I knew I was getting as close to expressing what I really felt, in that one, as I have ever been able to do.  I was really loving you. 
No, we never really had a storm on the crossing.  Mostly calm, clear weather.  The sea sickness was all over the first half day for me.  A few weren't so lucky and were sick nearly a week. 
Now a jump to July 18.  Another day you wrote two.  You're over working yourself I'm afraid, but am I kicking?  I should say not.  I love 'em.  This is the one that had the picture. Either you have a poor sense of value or you're only teasing for compliments.  You say, "Aside from the legs it isn't a bad picture." "What do you think?"  I guess I've expressed my opinion a couple times already but I'll say it again.  Even in the days before I was in the habit of telling you, I remember complimenting your legs as well as some other parts.  They're damn good pins.  I'll look at them any time I get a chance.  To me they are the nicest legs I've ever seen.  So there too. 
Now you're teasing me about not being man enough to take the chewing tobacco.  If it takes a man, I'm a very small boy.  Even if I could take it, I wouldn't.  It's so damn dirty and I saw so much of it, it still is revolting, even out here in the wilds.
Don't worry your pretty head about the irregularity of the letters.  I keep them all and go over them when they are complete.  That way I pick up what I miss as they come. 
I thought maybe being away would make Gus realize that he did have a damn nice wife.  It really brought it home to me and it will stick.  In his case it apparently hasn't had much affect.  I always could see that he was too interested in other girls for a married man.  Marriage can be so grand too if given a chance.  We know.  Don't we?  To look at a lot of other couples, it doesn't seem to be the style anymore.  Who wants to be in style? I'm happy this way and always will be.  I love you. 
I wasn't very good at telling or showing in public, but I think you always had an idea how I felt.  I'll tell you and show you until you're tired of it. 
I'm glad you liked the artistic attempt.  It wasn't as good as you say it was, but so long as you liked it I'm satisfied.  All the swimming and ball playing are curbing production along that line.  I'll make another attempt someday.  Don't expect any improvement 'cause I'm very temperamental as an artist. 
About the feet pictures you sent Jim and I.  He's still a piker if it really comes to a question of how quick it can be accomplished.  A half minute or less would do the job the first time, but to me, that isn't much fun.  I like to take it slow and make it last.  So wonderful I never want to end it even if for only a break and then back to work.  Remember?  I sure do.  Every one is something special to remember.
Here it is, time to quit already.  Night, sweetheart.  I love you. You're my wife.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: