Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Letter # 444 August 7, 1944

New Guinea
Monday eve.
Aug 7, 1944
My Darling wife;
Gosh, I must have been living right or something.  Anyhow, I got nine letters today.  Seven from the sweetest girl in the world and one from John & Mable and one from Mom & Hazel.  Here are the dates from you. 
2 from July 8, one each from the 18, 24, 25 [two again] and one from the 27th.  Gosh, honey, you simply snow me under.  Writing two in one day is too much for me.  I'm not kicking, though, if you want to.  I like 'em by the ton. 
I've been having almost a home coming here, reading all your sweet letters.  Had about an hour of the best entertainment I've had in some time.  I'd miss a show anytime to read your letters.  Even do it to write one to you once in a while.  I really must be in love.  I've got it bad, and am I glad.  I'd hate to think what I'd be like if you hadn't come along.  Maybe a grouchy old bachelor or maybe I'd be married to some female that wouldn't be worth her salt.  Gosh am I lucky!  I love you, honey. 
I talked a bit too quick about the picture you sent me not showing nearly enough of your many charms.  Today, I got one that does a pretty good job.  The one where you are sitting on Mick's barracks bag against the corner of the house.  You devil.  I can just see by the expression on your face that you think you're being cute and anticipating what I would say about it.  You were getting a kick out of it, but not nearly as big a kick as I get,  Gosh, I sure wish I was there by you.  You got plenty of what it takes and what I like and miss so much. Damn good looking girl. 
I showed John Clarius the picture.  The reaction was one of those whistles.  You know the kind.  A whistle can't anywhere near vent my feelings.  I could just about tear the place apart.  See what only a picture of you does to me?  Think what will really happen when it's really you, instead of only a picture.  That picture goes on the side of my table where I can look at it often.  Might cause a dream or two also. 
John Dulaney sent the pictures he took of  he and I, and Harold and I, when I was home this spring.  Remember I told you about him having my cap and coat on.  That's a scream.  Looks like he was in a tent.  Some John.
I've got so many letters to answer I hardly know where to start.  I have one from the 22nd partially answered so I'll finish it and then start with the oldest and work up. 
Gee, honey. you can send me some more pictures like that. Can't put it down long enough to write.  That can be taken another way.  We both love you and miss you.  Going to be a "hard" night tonight. 
No, sweetheart I won't mind a bit if you wake me up out of a sound sleep, but you'll have to excuse me if I can't quite believe it until shown.  I'm remembering back, and even considering the recent thrilling change in you, it's hard to imagine. 
Remember a trip started on Sept 8, four years ago?  We didn't quite make our planned destination and stayed at a small tourist cabin.  Room only big enough for the bed.  Eventually, we went to sleep and I woke early, at four, if I remember correctly.  Yes, you were nice, but I still remember your comment and I've respected that comment ever since.  I'm more than willing to forget it any time you even hint that I may.  I'll be waiting to be shown and I'll love it!  I'm really anxious to try new things any time. 
From the reports, you are really going out of your way to send me boxes.  You're sweet to do so many nice things for me.  You can be sure I'll be glad to get them.  Keep up the good work on the film, darling.  I know it's darn hard to get and can appreciate all you're doing.  Don't worry I won't throw any of it to the fishes.  If we move it may get lost but I'll never throw it away. 
It's funny, you keep telling me to ask for things and I keep telling you not to send too much.  I guess we both mean it.  We'll compromise.  I'll ask for things and trust you not to overdo it or spend too much on the things.  If you do I'll quit asking.  So there too.  My requests will mostly be the same, but as you say, you can use a request to send anything up to the limit.
Here's another while I'm thinking of it.  Smoking tobacco and pipe.  Cigarette lighter, air mail stationery and anything to eat.  I would guess it to take at least two months for packages to get here.   
Sweetheart, I know your chin's up and I'm very proud of you.  Everyone that writes me says you are being so brave about it all, it amazes them.  You're super special.
Now back to July 8.  Gosh, honey, this is some pile of letters. 
Beats me why two change of address forms were sent.  I filled one out before we left and the one with the note I filled out on the boat.  Thought that would be the first one you got.  More army.
This is where you told of Marg's operation.  I'm sure glad she is coming out in good shape.  That was a tough spot I'd think.
You misunderstood about Lt. Newburger.  He only moved from our maintenance office to a platoon leader.  Not out of the company.  He has been censoring most of the mail, lately, I guess.
Honey, it wasn't only the monotony of the long boat ride that made me sick of it.  That's a story I'll tell you someday.  For the most part I passed the time reading and writing to my sweetheart.  That May 22nd letter was the only one I had along and I sure did read it plenty.  It was the only contact with you then.
You may assure Jean that I'll tell her most anything she wants to know about what I've seen and etc.  All for only the price of a drink or two and some good sandwiches with plenty of hot peppers.   Might even settle for less if that is too steep a price.  It's as you say though.  That will come later. Something a lot more important than that comes first.  Anyhow, I'm better at that than at talking. 
All these letters tonight was a very swell anniversary present.  Yes, it is an anniversary.  One year ago today you came to see me at Knox.  I would much rather that the same thing could have happened again, but I enjoyed the letters plenty, and that picture! 
Gee, you're beautiful sweetheart.  You think you'll be a wild woman.  Well, if the way I react to only a picture of you is any indication, you'll need to be plenty wild to feel at home with me.  Think you can tame me?  Probably, but it's going to be a big job, even for you. 
It's bed time now "Legs" so I'm going to take a break until tomorrow.  Night, sweetheart.  I'm loving you and oh, how I'm missing you.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: