Thursday, February 16, 2012

Letter # 446 August 9, 1944

New Guinea
Wed eve.
Aug 9, 1944
Hello Beautiful;
I got another picture today to prove it too.  You say on the back of it that it proves you aren't.  Can't see it myself.  Better have your glasses changed honey.  I'm loving you and wanting to be there by you all the time. 
This mail business is funny.  Five more from you today.  One old one from June 20 and then July 20, 22, 23 & 28.  That makes them nearly complete up to July 30 and really gives me a stack to answer.  I'm practically swamped in sweet loving letters.  I also got one from Vi written in New York.  Oh yes, I almost forgot.  I also got a Gazette from May 9.  Only three months old.  Not bad???
Started another project today.  Really back at the carpenter trade.  Building a mess kitchen from some of the output of the Newberger - Brown Lumber Company Ltd.
Our ball team played another game this afternoon and took their first beating 7 - 4.  I've been dropped as a first string man.  Just can't quite cut it anymore.  Even if I don't like to admit it, I'm not as fast on my feet as I used to be anymore.  Don't worry.  I said, on my feet.  I really don't care a lot.  It takes too much of my time away from swimming and etc.  I still like to play for fun, but not regularly where the teams are out to win.
I must get at these letters or I'll never get them answered.  June 20.  I have already answered most of it.  I was interested in the item about Walt Smithberger.  According to regulations, he was out of uniform with the stripes sewn on.  They can be worn on an arm band.  Remember how I wore my first ones? 
July 20.  I'm glad to hear Steve's new address.  I know where it is.  It's only about three hundred miles away.  He went where he thought I was going.  It's also on N. Guinea.  I might see him most any time.  Kinda tough, leaving a new bride so soon.  I bet now he won't think the army so much fun.  Anyhow, I find it harder to leave my bride after nearly four years than it was when I first left.  I'm loving you more and more all the time.  Never stops either.
Honest honey, I do like the picture of you and I don't care what you say.  I think you're beautiful and sweet.  The dress which you say is one you bought, expecting to wear it on your trip west, does look nice and comfortable, but I can't say it does much for you.  Of course there may be no one around worth showing it off to.  Is that it?  What happened with all your truck drivers? 
This picture today is also a swell one of the yard.  Looks like our fence row is going to need another clipping when I get home.  The yard does look so nice though.  As good as I've ever seen it look.  Damn! It makes me homesick. 
All that ice cream and stuff sure makes my mouth water.  Our refrigerator [we had one for a couple weeks] was taken away from us today.  I'm told because of improper use by the brass hats.  So now we won't even have cold water to drink at meals.  Oh well.  I don't miss it too much.  It was almost the same at Polk last summer. 
You can't help doing a  bit of bragging on my behalf, can you?  Even about so small a thing as what I'm doing.  The report Dick sent to his Dad about his work has a basis of truth, but that is all.  The medics, of course, take care of the water supply and I did see him working there one day.  He looks good and seems to be holding his pre-war shape a lot better than I.  He doesn't have the work or physical training though. 
July 22.  Sweetheart, you don't need to write on Saturday but I won't forbid it.  Not by a long shot.  You so often write two a day, I'd think you'd need a break at least once a week.  You really keep the mail coming.  Does me a lot of good too. 
I haven't yet heard from Marg.  I guessed she must have left Knox.  She apparently is headed for a more civilized part of the world. 
So the ducks at Mom's aren't propagating as well as might be expected.  They are cute little devils even though dirty as hell. 
Any doubts you have about comparing favorably with the model picture I have here should be dispelled if you remember all the things I've said about you.  I mean everything I ever said.  If you said you could send me a similar picture of you, you can bet the pinups would be in the waste basket.  You hadn't better send one, however, cause that is my private priviledge and some one might see. I'm selfish that way.  You're all mine and I want you all to myself.  I love you. 
I must have misstated myself.  I paid $3.20 for 52 air mail envelopes and stamps.  The V-mail stationery is free. 
I can't agree, honey.  You get credit for any change in me.  It might be indirectly and something you might not be conscious of doing, but you did it.  Where other people or things are concerned, I've changed only as much as any one changes with the years.  You're the only one to get inside the hard shell and be more than welcome to stay.  You've done a lot of things to me I never expected.  I'm happy about the whole thing.  I'm a lucky, lucky guy and I've got a pocketful of dreams.  We'll have those dreams some day.  I'll start any time and the sooner the better.  I'm only waiting, not very patiently, for the opportunity. 
I have all the reading material I can take care of.  The Colliers is coming fairly regularly and the Yanks are available and the Reader's Digest is starting to get here, so I have plenty.  In fact, more than I ever get around to.  Marg sent me the Digest for Christmas last year. 
You are right.  My bones aren't very well padded any more.  About the same as last summer when you came to Knox.  I'll be willing to let you feed me up again.  I don't want to go as far as 215 again but I'll not call a halt under 200.  Does that give you enough to work on? 
Bed time again - 9:30 - Funny isn't it?  Anyhow it's another day gone and that much nearer to the day I get those papers making me a free man again.  I guess I won't exactly be free.  I don't want to be.  The bondage I'll be under is so sweet and entirely satisfactory I'd be a lost man without it.  I want my wife to always be taking care of me.  I love you sweetheart. 
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: