Thursday, January 5, 2012

Letter # 438 August 1, 1944

New Guinea
Tuesday
Aug 1, 1944
My adorable;
I bet you can't imagine what I'm doing as I write this letter.  It's one of your tricks.  I'm sucking on a bottle of beer.  It's American, Pabst Blue Ribbon, but, of course, it's like Mick says, warm.  We can buy a case a month and get it rationed to us three bottles at a time, twice a week.  Eight florins a case.  $2.56 to you.  Even though warm it does cut the dust. 
We also have to buy our cigarettes now and take what comes.  Allowed four cartons a month at 40 cents a carton.  We also have a P.X. of sorts and can get a very limited supply of peanuts, cookies, gum. and etc.  Just enough so we don't forget what they taste like. 
I bought a few pictures from an Australian soldier today.  Photographs, mostly of natives.  Thought you might like to see them.  As photos they aren't so good but they are photos taken in the general area.  Should be interesting, especially of the women.  You can very easily see why I say I'm safe as though locked in your closet.  Sure are beauties, don't you think? 
These Aussies are interesting guys and sure have an eye for business.  They know the average American is a nut for souvenirs and will pay nearly any price for any kind of gadget.  They sell bracelets of sea shells or plain ones made of scrap brass or aluminum from wrecked planes and the like.  Really aren't worth a thing and they sell them from two to five pounds.  Too much for me.  I paid plenty for the pictures but some of the pictures I might never have the opportunity to get.  I'm rich anyhow.  I hope you get a kick out of them.  I'll send them one or two at a time in my letters. 
Now I'm going to work on your letters.  No new ones today.  I'm skipping over the old ones rather fast.  Here is one remark I can't skip.  You say you hope I won't want to trade you off for two twenties when I get home.  I know I did threaten you with that a few times but even then I was kidding.  I wouldn't have traded you for any other two of any age or description.  Now. - Well - you know what I've been telling you all the time and I mean every word of it.  You've improved so much in the way that used to cause me to say I'd trade you that now I wouldn't trade you for all the rest of the girls in the world.  No, honey, you're mine and are always going to be my one and only as long as you're satisfied to be that.  I sure hope you are satisfied and if I could believe all you say in your letters you must be satisfied.  I'll come more than half way to keep you satisfied too.  Does that put your mind at rest on that point? 
Sweetheart, you are incorrigible.  You just won't believe much I tell you about you.  You keep belittling yourself all the time.  I think you're only teasing me to get some more compliments.  You're a devil.  Vile disposition, poor loving, talk too much, lazy and others you don't mention.  Honey, that hardly deserves an answer 'cause you know as well as I they aren't true.  I admit you aren't an angel, who the hell wants any damn thing you can't get hold of ?  You're as perfect as any flesh and blood woman could ever be.  No shit either.  I'm in love with you and that tells the story as good as any words can say. 
I guess I've told you before but anyhow, I don't think you're a bit silly about liking to see my writing in its' original form.  Not that it's so pretty but it seems a lot more personal.  I feel the same way.  You can see I'm not using much V-mail to you.  It's good enough for others but not for you.  You're very special.  You're my wife and only sweetheart. 
Honey, you're very inconsistent.  First you tell me how bad you are and in the next paragraph are patting yourself on the back.  Lay off running yourself down and keep handing yourself bouquets.  You deserve them.  I'm glad you found out that you are way ahead of May and all the rest.  Not only in money matters but any way.  You know, honey people have the habit of doing a lot of big talking and it isn't always true.  I think you've done a swell job of saving money and managing things.  Better by far than I thought you could do.  You're a very able and all around wife.  I love you. 
It was very nice of Jean to mow your lawn for you.  You've got some swell friends. 
I don't know about setting any kind of record writing to you.  It may be a bit silly of both of us to spend so much time writing to each other.  If it is I want to be silly.  I've just got to talk to you at least once a day and this is the only way I can do it.  People don't know how much I love you or they wouldn't think it unusual.  I do love you so much darling.  Bye now.  I'll see you in my dreams.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: