Thursday, January 12, 2012

Letter # 440 August 3, 1944

New Guinea Thursday
Aug 3, 1944
My Darling;
Got another letter today.  The July 19th.  That makes 16, 17, 18, & 19 all complete.  Some missing between 11 & 16.  They come mixed up but they are getting here and that is all that matters. 
Nothing new happening so I'll work on these last two letters a while.  I'll be taking a break soon to go to a stage show. G.I. band and entertainment. 
Now Betty is returning the visit.  That ought to get you two pretty well acquainted again and help pass the time until you go back to work.  Won't be long will it?  By the time you get this it'll probably be the 15th and you'll be deep among your books.  I hope you like this job and can manage to keep the old car running so you can get back and forth.  Are you still planning to stay at home this winter?  Seems out of place for me to be thinking of winter but back home, it won't be long anymore.  Time to fill the coal bin and things like that there. 
Down here they tell me summer is coming.  It's darn hard to believe but I do remember that from my geography also.  Darn funny winter we've had this summer. 
I wish I could see you playing tennis in your silk jersey halter.  You might be able to beat me but I doubt it, 'cause I don't think the game would ever get past "love".  I couldn't stay on my own side of the net long enough to play a full game. I can very clearly remember how I used to tingle and forget the game.  I wasn't nearly as wolfish then as I would be now.  I haven't even seen anything like that for - it seems years.  Well, honey, I'm going to the show.
Back again, not because I wanted to but because it rained us out.  It was a swell band though.  I know I'm not much of an authority on music but this bunch is as good as any you hear on the radio.  I can still hear them here in the tent.  If I could dance and there was anything to dance with, I'd be at it. 
I was wondering how much was being cut from my letters.  Tickled to hear they have not been cut up.  I try to be careful. Only exact location and things of military importance are censored.  Number of troops, equipment, either rumored or true movements, and such things.  It really doesn't cramp my writing very much.  I never did say a lot about such things anyhow.  I like to spend most of my words on the subject nearest my heart.  It sure as hell isn't the army.  It's my beautiful wife.  You are too.  Don't argue with me.  I don't care if you are chubby, an old gossip, bad dispositioned, and other things you call yourself.  You're beautiful and sweet to me.  Wouldn't trade you for any number of 20 year olds or any other age, description, or occupation. 
I'm glad everyone is so interested and misses me so much.  Flatters me and makes me think I may be some good after all.  I quite often doubt it here in the army.  I hope you people don't expect too much of me.  I'm just old me in most ways. 
You're a devil, honey.  I'm satisfied to take my "bites" as a special privilege between us, only, as I remember, it's one thing you never appreciated too much.  I guess I'll have to take that back.  It seems the last time I remember you offering them to me.  Didn't refuse either, did I?  Good chewing.  Maybe I could live on them for a week.  Shall we try it? 
When the boxes come I'll tell you all about them.  Don't worry about the camera or any of the stuff.  If it's damaged and doesn't get here at all it's a bad break but not at all your fault.  If packages are handled like the mail they'll be ok.  The letters aren't even soiled.  Better than in the states. 
Speaking of Ky.  It's a year ago today I landed at Knox.  I'll never forget the following Sat or any of that three weeks.  Wish our history would repeat itself and quick!  I love you.
We have been getting a short report on the highlights of the news every night at the show.  It is sent by short wave from Frisco. 
Honey, I'm bawling you out now.  You really didn't say anything about what was the cause of the sickness mother had and neither has anyone else.  I know she is getting along all right now, but I'd still like to know if that one remark of Marg's was a misstatement or what.  Now, do you feel bad after that calling down?  Mostly teasing you, honey. 
The "package" is crossed off, and I'll be loaded for bear.  Should have spelled it the other way.  I gather you aren't kidding me but have thought about it and really want another Velma.  It won't be for lack of trying if you don't. 
Don't fret about the dry weather hurting the lawn.  It's started well enough that it will come back as soon as the rains come.  Nature is taking pity on you and keeping it from needing mowing so often.  Can't have my Mummy overworking herself.  I want her like she was when I saw her last.  She was perfect.  I love her and love her and love her in my daydreams. 
Lloyd Phinney did get his discharge.  I never did get back to see him.  I want a discharge bad, but not that way.  It's hard lines. 
The snap shot sure brings back memories.  Good ones too.  We'd have a hard time getting that picture now.  Mick in England, Art in Ohio, and I in New Guinea.  Some travelers aren't we?  Things can change in a year.  Maybe another year will change them back. 
You ask about the other service organizations.  The Red Cross is the only one I've even heard of over here.
Honey, a dozen doors would be an awful  lot to run into and the effects might be hard to recover from.  I'll settle for one door.  Remember I wasn't too used to it either.  We fixed that situation the last time didn't we?  Have to be sure and remember this time.  Can't afford to take time out for recovery.  Time's awasting.  Night sweetheart.  I love you.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: