Thursday, April 26, 2012

Letter # 459 August 22,1944

New Guinea
Tuesday eve.
Aug. 22, 1944
My precious;
It was a good thing I did stop my letter last night.  I got it in the envelope and it really started to blow and rain.  One of these tropical storms you read about.  We were busy for a while lowering the tent sides and making our homes as water proof as possible.  At that we all got slightly wet.  The storm let up several times and then took a fresh start.  I went to bed and soon knew nothing more about it.  This morning the ground was nice and wet but not muddy.  It's so sandy that a few hours is sufficient to drain off all water.  Trying to rain again tonight so maybe our dry spell is over.  Damn these fleas.  They're so thick I can hardly write tonight.  The desk right around the light is crawling so thick with them I can hardly see the wood.  Sure is a wonderful place for bugs.  I'll be able to live with the few flies and mosquitoes back home and never know they are around.  I've heard it said that old timers in the tropics actually miss all the vermin when they get away from it.  I can see why.  A nuisance, but so constantly with one that they become a part of the life.  They burn with a nice little crackle when they fly into the light.  Make good kindling if I needed a fire.  The only ones that even attract much attention from me any more, are a species of overgrown June bug.  These fellows are big enough to cut steaks from.  They sound like a transport plane in flight and when they collide with a person, it's like being hit with a baseball.  I've seen some of them at least three inches long by an inch thick.  The skeleton is so hard they will almost stand a man's weight before they break with the crunching sound of an eggshell.  There is my tall story for tonight.  It happens to be true though. I could go on to tell some of our speculations.  The other night we were wondering if we caught a few and harnessed them, if they wouldn't make a fair means of air transport.  Have to work on that idea and sell it to the army.  They bite on things almost that silly.
The company has a victory garden.  I never told you about that.  Have one about twice as big as ours at home. The officers got hold of some seeds and its' been in the making for some time.  Doing darn good so far.  Things grow about a half faster than at home.  The fellow in one tent took some Lima beans from the kitchen and planted them around the edge of their tent.  That was about a month ago.  They happened to  be pole beans and are all over the tent now and ready to have beans.  I've been wondering about the bugs.  So far they haven't damaged them at all.  Tomato plants are also doing swell.  Don't imagine the garden will be much value but it's an interesting experience. Caretakers are recruited by means of those committing small offences.  Out of uniform, haircuts, shaves and etc.
 While I always liked a garden at home, this is somehow different, so I haven't as yet been able to satisfy one of my foolish desires.  Let my beard grow for a month and see what I looked like.  Crazy isn't it?  Wouldn't you raise a howl if I came home with a full beard or even a mustache?  I can still remember one of your not very sweet or inviting comments. " Yuck, Whiskers." and proceed to wipe your lips.  That was what kept me from trying to kiss you again for a long time. [At least a couple months.]  Unless I'm wrong the first successful occasion was on your 20th birthday.  Am I right?  Then I got scared and took off without seeing the effect.  All I know is I was pretty much pleased with myself and the tingle I got from it.  From then on I got a good share of tingles and thrills, even if I did have to keep my lips tight closed for quite some time.  Remember?  You were a devil and had ideas you gradually changed.  "No bare man will ever sleep with me."  Have you kept that promise?  I'm teasing you ain't I?  I'm loving you at the same time.  Feel it?
I have inquired about the color film developing and it can't be done here.  Might  be able to get it done in Australia.  Anyhow I'll try to get you some color pictures when it gets here.  They say it's very hard to handle exposed film here.  The climate does something to them.  Have to be taken care of very soon after taking or put in some moisture proof container.  Some of the fellows are putting them in "rubbers" and that seems to solve the problem.  No other use for them anyhow, unless to make balloons of.
You're doing swell.  Twelve rolls of film will go quite a way.  Good old Babe always comes through. You're swell, honey.  I love you.
Sweetheart, I was only kidding when I mentioned you sharing my letters.  I certainly don't care a bit.  You can read 'em all to anyone.  I don't care if you don't.  I mean all I say and don't care who knows it.  So there too.
Don't you worry about me at all.  Taking care of me comes first all the time.  I have so much to come back to, I'm taking no chances of anything happening to me, to, in any way, handicap the homecoming plans we have.  I'll bring along a good supply of the loving and tenderness you say you'll be needing.  That's what I have plenty of.  I loves you, bubbles.
Mick being attached to an infantry outfit doesn't mean anything special.  Each outfit has its own specialized men along.  Complete units.  He never was assigned to any unit before.  He was what we call a "basic".  He will probably now get some sort of rating.  He certainly should, at any rate.  I've been attached ever since the first days of my army career.  That's why my ratings came regularly.
Those cookies you are sending sound plenty good.  Wish they were here now to munch on before I go to bed.  Sometimes now I would take you up on a sandwich or two before bed.  Remember you always were a bit put out with me when I wouldn't eat with you?  I was fat and satisfied then.
The old washing machine must still be running and seems to come in handy for stranded people.  Not bad for an old wreck is it?
That headquarters platoon I play ball with.  Every company has what is called a headquarters platoon.  It is composed of the office men, cooks, mechanics and other specialized men.  The other platoons are the fighting men.
The legs are back in perfect shape again and they'll cover the distance back to you and still be in good enough shape to do all required of them.
So Jean was slinging a line to K. Kirk.  Leave it to her.  She can do it.  Kenny evidently didn't know I was in the 775.  The pts. and pfcs. were the only ones sent out of the old outfit.  I mentioned it at the time we were leaving Polk.  Remember?
By the way, where is Kenny and what outfit?  Never did know if he had a rating or not.  The last I heard he was a meat cutter or something.
Well darling, it's time to close again for tonight.  Anyhow I'm almost caught up and I'll need the rest to get started tomorrow, in case I don't get anymore new ones.  None today, either.  Night my beautiful wife.  I'm loving and missing you so much.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: