Thursday, April 12, 2012

Letter # 455 August 18, 1944

New Guinea
Fri eve.
Aug. 18, 1944
Sweet and Lovely;
I"m having a fight getting started on this letter.  I told you we hadn't had any rain for a long time.  Two weeks I think.  Well, it's making up for it tonight.  Quite a breeze with it too and that's what is bothering me.  Can't keep my lights lit in these open air tents.  I've got shelter halves strung up all around me to break the wind.  Working to some extent too.  Usually the rains come quietly, no wind at all.  We'll at least get away from the dust for a day or so.  In spite of all the dampness at night, it was dry as hell here.  Streams are even way low.  Guess New Guinea isn't used to such spells of drought.  In all the time we've been here it's only been muddy once.  This will make twice.
I hit the jackpot at mail call tonight.  Four from you.  Aug 3, 4, & two 6.  That is all in rotation too.  The two were for Sat & Sunday, both written on Sunday.  All the letters are here up to that.  Not too bad, is it?  Twelve days for the latest ones.
Gee, honey, that rain sounds good on the tent roof.  I always did like to hear it pattering down.  Remember we used to sit in the car and love and let it rain?  Then later, after Sept 8, 1940 we'd think it a swell night to go to bed and love.  Swell night to go to sleep, period, tonight.  I'm always thinking of you and things we've done.  Had a lot of fun, and sweetheart, there are lots more of them coming.  I love you, darling.
That night of Sept 8th it rained, like the devil too, didn't it?  The lights were all out in the little town where we stayed.  Ate supper by candle light.  Then we went to our cabin and - gosh, honey I'm tingling and thrilling all over.  Who said I was numb?  Lots of life left in the old thing yet.  I see why Mel asks what you got.  It's some girl that can be so far away and have that affect.  You're perfect honey.  I'm loving you. Don't dare look at your leg picture or I'd be like the old days when I had to go home and leave you.
I couldn't find any trace of my little ring.  I'm in production on another and if my luck holds, I may get it done in time.  I'm still awful mad about it.  It may not be very important but to me it's as important as anything could be. I have always, contrary to the usual story, remembered that anniversary and always will.  Biggest thing ever happened to me.  I was very lucky.  Got me a perfect wife.  I'm in love with her.  I'd sure be a lost guy without you.
Now I'll start on your letters.
If Steve did leave on July 20, he should be here by now and getting his first initiation to New Guinea.  Wonder how he likes it?  I'm going to write him a letter at the address you sent and take a chance on it being right.  Very seldom land at the place you head for.  We got sidetracked and he may have also.  I would like to see him but it's hard to get places here.  No bus or train or even roads.
I'm glad the indications are much better that Steve picked a good wife.  He's a lot better fellow than most people know.  I expect I knew him better than anyone else in Medina or maybe anyplace.  Being somewhat the same way myself, I could understand him even if I didn't always approve.  I never could tell why I stayed with him so long.  Some bond or attraction that always held me even when I was disgusted with him.  I know she can't compare with you but she can still be a damn nice girl.  I surely hope so.  Don't think Harold would be taken in very easily, if she wasn't.
I don't mind your comment on New Guinea a bit.  In fact, I like them.  Tell me more.  I'm learning more from your letters than I'm learning here on the spot.  I too was surprised at the size of the island.  The army gave us a handbook on it.  That, and your letters are my source of information.  It is roughly 1300 miles long and 400 miles wide at its' widest point.  Twice the size of Japan and much larger than Germany.  Has the most rugged stretches of tropical country in the world, much of which was undeveloped until the war came along. The backbone of the mountains rises in places as high as 16,000 feet and is perpetually snow covered, even in this latitude.  You may have learned all this already, but some of it may add to the picture.
The food of the natives is much as you write about.  There are others, however.  Roots of lilies, yams, breadfruit, corn and manioc, sugarcane, pineapple, fish and some game.  Breadfruit is a knobby, yellow green fruit, looks somewhat like a pineapple and can be either roasted or steamed.  The trees are of medium size with leaves like big fig leaves.  You know what a fig leaf is "cause I remember the story you tell about the first one you saw at the fair in Chicago.  These would be very adequate for size.  Manioc is the grain tapioca is made from.  Sugarcane grows wild.  New Guinea is its' original home.
The coconut palm is a big food and drink producer. Thirsty: pick a green husked nut that is nearly full size.  The meat is starting to form and the whole nut is filled with milk.  Cool and refreshing.  Hunger:  The meat is very nutritious and can be shredded and squeezed to get a cream similar to milk cream.  By adding water to this, a passable substitute for milk is obtained.  Even the growing tops of the tree can be cut and cooked like cabbage.
This sago palm you speak of is a thorny palm which they cut down and split.  The pith inside, similar to the center of a cornstalk, is soaked and squeezed in water and the sediment is dried into flour.  It's very starchy.
The white grubs from rotten logs and etc. are big fellows.  I've found some that are almost the size of shrimp and for that matter, look as good.  No, I haven't eaten any yet and don't intend to until I get darn hungry.
Betel chewing is the natives tobacco.  I don't know about it being intoxicating and my manual only says it will blacken the teeth.
There are jungle schools, which some of the boys attend, where, under native or Australian supervision, they are taught to know and find the various foods, sources of water, and how to travel in the jungle.  Don't know if I'll get a chance at it or not but I've been talking to some that have.  The jungle is hostile to strangers, but it's possible and even rather easy to live indefinitely off the jungle, once initiated into the tricks.
You're darn right I know why you called Art a bastard.  I'd like to call him one right now for the same reason.  That was a hell of a time to call, about the third picture in the series of 20 toes.  It was only a temporary delay though.  Temporary delay is a lot better than this delay.
You won't have to keep me by you, honey.  I'll stay willingly.  I know where I'm well off and very well taken care of.  You'll have to beat me away with a club.
Bed time again, honey.  I'm loving you.  You, my wife.  Gee, but you're swell and I'm glad I gotcha.  Night, Tootsie Wuggles.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: