Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Letter # 458 August 21, 1944

New Guinea
Monday eve.
Aug 21, 1944
My Darling Babe;
Before I do anything else, I've an apology to make to you.  I'm apologizing and sorry as hell.  Here's the story.  Remember a while ago I bawled you out a little for not telling me what was wrong with Mom?  Well today I got a missing letter that for some reason I hadn't missed.  July 12, 1944.  That had the story.  I had rather supposed it was something like that but after Marg's very inadequate letter, I wasn't so sure.  Mom is no youngster anymore.  I got the silly suspicion that you folks just weren't telling me.  You see, Mom and Hazel never said much about it either.  I am sorry, honey.  I should have known better than think you wouldn't tell me.  I'll accept your promise and never doubt you again.  You do write very good letters and keep me informed about things.  Love me a lot in them too.  I love you, sweetheart.  Am I forgiven?
In the same letter you talk about the request letters again.  There really isn't a thing but what I've asked for already that I need or want. [That is, that you can send]  I'm not kidding, I mean it.  Life over here is very simple and almost primitive.  The army furnishes all we need.  There are so many things in ordinary life that are considered indespensable but over here they have no value whatever.  We eat, sleep and work and play.  All as simply as possible.  Tobacco, pipe, pipe cleaners, cigarette lighters, soap, writing paper, and special little snacks to eat, are about the only items.  I like a new picture of my wife once in a while too.  She's good to look at and every new one I get is somewhat like seeing you again. [Only seeing though] You're good for a lot more than looking at and you're wonderful to look at.  Get what I mean?  You will as soon as I can get close enough again. I love you doughgirl.
Am I doing allright on the requests now? I don't hate to ask you for things, honey.  You're so sweet about it, I love to ask you.  I just don't know of anything to ask for.
I told you about the refrigerator deal.  We had one for a few days and it was taken away.  Nothing cold at all.  Miss it for a while but soon get used to it and don't even think about it.
So you don't know where I kept all my sweet talk hidden all these years, huh?  I don't think I was hiding it.  I never learned to say things like that until I was forced to say in words, and on paper, at that, what I had formerly expressed only in actions.  Not too well even then.  At least that is one thing I can credit the army with teaching me.  Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, though.  It's not spontaneous even yet.  I have to think about it and grope for words to express what I mean.  Afraid I'll never be glib and easy at that sort of thing.  I'll try though and with what I can say together with expressive actions, I think you'll be able to get a satisfactory idea of my thoughts.
You're darn right I mean you and no one but you when I say nice things.  What I'm trying to say couldn't apply to anyone but my wife.  No one else near nice enough to deserve half as much loving.  Not from me anyhow.  You say, "Guess I'm something after all".  You're silly, honey.  You're the most something I've ever had the good luck to come in contact with.  Gosh, what contacts too.  Tingle like an electric contact when I'm near you.  Gosh, I'm glad I gotcha.  
I also got a regular mail letter from Harold today, written on July 15.  Your's sure got waylaid, someplace.
Now to go back to your recent letters. Aug 7.
Honey, you're leaving me a hell of a big opening, saying you're satisfied with anything I do.  You'd better retract that one, 'cause if you don't I'll remember it and who knows what I'll do.  You know, keep 'em tied tight or they are liable to stray.  Don't know where I'd stray ever, here.
I don't mind your laughing at my ball playing injury a bit.  I was disgusted as hell and still it was even funny to me.  Thinking I'm in such good shape and then let a ball game get me down.  I'd be a sad sack if we got into anything like wire over here to get into.  At that it's probably the worst injury I'll get.
Johnny must have built up what I said about a meeting in La.a bit.  Partly true only very much in the speculation stage.  I did say, that now that you and Bonnie are mail order acquainted you would probably like to really meet.  The date is ok by me.  I always did want to show you what La. looks like.
We'll have to make up our minds though, which it is to be.  Travel or a family.  They just don't go together.  You know that was one reason we didn't want a family before.  We wanted to be able to take off any time we wanted and have no one to think about.  I said at the time, I only wanted you for four or five years. Four of them are up only we got cheated of nearly half of them.  I'm perfectly willing to go either way you want, only as you say, we aren't getting any younger.  Something to think about isn't it?
It's getting windy and raining again and I'm having light trouble so I'm going to cheat you and stop here for the night.  Bye my cover girl.  I'm loving you more and more all the time.  You're my sweet, lovable wife.  I love you too.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: