Sunday, April 8, 2012

Letter # 454 August 17, 1944

New Guinea
Thurs. eve
Aug 17, 1944
My Darling;
Honey, I'm so mad tonight, I don't know if I can write a decent letter or not.  Remember you asked if I couldn't make a bracelet like Tony sent May and I said I was working on a project of the sort then.  I was making a ring from a florin [ 32 cent piece]. I had it all done and was going to send it so it would be a token on our anniversary.  Some son-of-a-bitch stole it off my desk today.  Didn't have much value but I spent a good many hours making it.  It was rather cute, thin silver band with slightly flared top and I had cut and set a tiny heart on it.  One fellow offered me three pounds for it, so it must have been ok.  I'll try making another, but I don't think I'll be able to get it done in time.  I'd have to mail it by a week from today.  It makes me so damn mad I'd half kill the guy  if I could catch him.  I wanted to send you something.  As I said, it wasn't worth much except as a token or keepsake.  To me a ring is a good luck charm.  When you accepted my ring it was the best piece of luck I ever had or expect to have again.  The damn fool took that and never touched my billfold, watch,knives, or anything else.  I hope he dies with a hard on.  There, I feel a little better after crying on your shoulder.  You're a big comfort, honey.  I love you so much.  I'll build another.  Hope I can do as good a job this time.  Anyhow, I tried to send you something.
I got a letter today, honey.  Aug 2.  Also got one from Jim.  It was postmarked the 9th and marked "inter island".  Took plenty long to cover that short distance, if your information is correct.  That's only about 700 miles east and slightly south of here.  As usual he doesn't say much in his letters. I'll answer your letter and then if I have room continue with the trip story.
Gosh, honey, I know your bridge parties were noisy and sometimes rather vulgar.  I used to be in the basement once in a while, but I don't think they were quite a battle.
Rather a coincidence you write about Jim's letter and where he is and the same day I get a letter from him.  His probability of getting home sounds good and I sure hope he does.  He's been over here long enough, but from the dope I get on the rotation plan, at least in the army, it's very improbable he'll get home before the end of the war.  Rotation plan sounds good but in action it's absolutely crazy.  Jim has been in the service since Oct 42 but didn't go over until about the time I went in.  As near as I can recall he said he was over fourteen months in April.  That would be seventeen now.  Hell of a long time to be away from a wife.  I'm hurtin and it isn't five months yet.
That's the ticket, sweetheart.  Just keep on thinking of us as all right.  We will be even though there may be times when you don't hear for long periods.
I'm not a bit disappointed that most of the boys are going to Europe while I'm in the Islands.  For some reason I always hoped to go into it on this side, if at all.  Anyhow, I'm here so I better be satisfied with it.
You're a smart girl, honey.  When I was belittling your pictures of the toes I didn't think about starting all over again.  Could  be any number of cycles before the last picture, couldn't there?  Leave you to think of that.  My how you've changed.  I can remember times when one such performance was nearly too much trouble to bother with.  "Get it over with".  Remember?  Don't let it bother you.  I'm only teasing and anyhow, I loved it a lot then.  I didn't know how much better it could be so I was satisfied.  Don't you ever try that on me again.  I know better now.  That's a warning.  I have to get my teasing in while I can.  From the sound of your letters, you will probably be teasing me the same way soon.  I'm not too sure of being able to keep up with you.  I'll try like hell though.  I'm loving you my passionate parcel of charms.
There.  You always laugh at me when I say you look like a 20 year old and here you say you feel 19.  Not very consistent, honey. You'll be able to keep up with me alright.  I'm not worried about it at all.
I know you're taking it very well.  Everyone says about the same as Betty told you.  Didn't think you could do so well.  You've grown into a brave, resourceful woman as well as a beautiful one.  I'm proud of you.  I love you.
I'm learning some new things too.  I told you I had lost my waistline that you built up last fall, so my pants were loose in the waist.  I've been altering them to fit a 31 or 32 instead of a 34 as they were built for.  Some different than the 38 I came into the army with.  Isn't it?  Padding all gone.  Watch out for the "ran into a door" feeling again.  I also got the notion to build me a pillow.  Got a bundle of rags today and I found a nice hunk of dress that made up into a swell pillow.  It's filled mostly with the remains of silk panties.  Damn. I wish they were full like they once were, but, on second thought, it would probably interfere with my routine  of eight or nine hours sleep and that would never do.  Couldn't stand it to loose sleep over anything like that. No.  Not much.  Couldn't stand to waste time sleeping would be more like it.  Of course that is all based on the assumption that I'm talking about my "bubbles".
Night, wifey darling.  I'm loving you more and more all the time.
Your hurtin lover
Norm.

No comments: