Friday, June 3, 2011

Letter # 369 May 16, 1944

West Coast
May16, 1944
Tues. eve.
My darling Chubbins;
This is surely some change in climate.  We wear our wool uniforms and then put on jackets in the evening.  I like it though.  My type of climate.  I guess I can't take it though.  I've caught a head cold somehow, not a bad one, but one of those uncomfortable ones.  I'm not the only one either. 
I bought this thin paper for your letters.  It won't make such a bulky letter and then maybe I'll try a few air mail when I get some stamps. 
The picture came today.  It isn't too bad either.  Some of us look rather sick and I'm one of them.  I'll have one sent to you. 
Today they were urging us to make out additional allotments or else buy bonds with most of our money.  Say we won't need more than 10 - 20.00 a month.  It is a good idea in lots of ways but I don't think I'll do it now.  If I ever get more money than I want I can send it back home or make an allotment then.  What do you think?  I know I won't spend much but I don't like the idea of not having it if I do want some.  I'm going to try to get a little more dope on it. 
I got your Sunday, May 7 letter today.  Sure was a dandy.  Nine pages.  You numbered them too, so I couldn't miss count them this time.  You're a devil, honey, but oh such a nice one.  I love you, devil or not.  You're sweet and you're my wife. 
Gus is not much different than the rest of us.  Being in the service is enough to make anyone realize that he didn't appreciate a good wife and home any where near as much as he should.  I always thought I was appreciating you and everything we had an awful lot, but I know now that I was very unappreciative.  Wait till I get home and I'll prove it to you.  I've learned that much from this anyhow. 
You're nuts, sweetheart, doing your washing at 2 A.M. after being out all day.  I know you just wanted to get it done so you could sleep late the next day.  Right?
I bet the old place does look nice with all the flowers out, lawn nice and green and trees in leaf.  It surely is a beautiful time of year.  I had an idea that Harold wouldn't be too sorry to see John go, even though it does leave him short handed as hell.  I could or thought I could see that he wasn't at all satisfied with the work John was doing.  He always was slow and made a lot of mistakes.  If he can't hold this new job, he'd better retire and let Mabel do the bread earning for the family.
It's a bad policy to laugh at the cute sayings of little kids and it may be as bad to laugh at those of my wife, but I did think the way you twisted and murdered the English rather a cute saying, and you a school teacher too.  I am madly in love with you and you too. 
You may be right about me falling back into the old routine of working at something most of the time and not wanting to be bothered.  It does sound a lot like me, but you've admitted that I surprised you in some respects and I may surprise you there too.  I fully intend to try.  I agree that it's very pleasant to mix work and pleasure.  Especially that kind of pleasure.  I'm all for giving it a fair trial.  Was I ever a very dull boy?
I haven't covered your letter yet but I'm going to quit for now.  Gosh, how I'm hurting for my Babe.  She's still the best, most desirable of any I've seen and I'm seeing all kinds too.  They can't compete sweetheart.  I love you too much.
Your lover
Norm.

No comments: