Friday, June 3, 2011

Letter # 371 May 18, 1944

West Coast
May 18, 1944
Thurs. eve.
Sweetheart;
Hello darling.  How's my wife today?  Beautiful as ever?  Wish I could see you and tell you that in person.  More too.  There are so many nice things I could tell you and not be stretching the truth even the least little bit.  I love you honey.  Gosh I'm glad I gotcha.
I had quite a session with the dentist today.  Three fillings and I go back tomorrow to have them cleaned.  Two of the fillings were old ones that had to be taken out and replaced.  One small new one.  The one on the side of my front tooth, remember?  was one to be replaced.  It had finally worn loose and was "leaking" slightly as he explained it.  I can't kick about that.  It only lasted 10 years longer than Nichols said it would.  They seemed to do a very good job too. 
Had a very nice nurse too.  The doctor didn't come in for almost an hour and I had a nice talk with her.  Tomorrow is the day though.  Girls do all the cleaning work and some of them look pretty good to me.  Of course not as good as you, but after all you're a long way from here.  I'll see if I can't develop some more tooth trouble. 
I'm in the guard house, honey.  What do you think of that?  What do you think of me now?  Don't get excited.  It isn't as bad as it sounds. I have drawn guard duty for the first time in my army life.  I'll be on duty until tomorrow night.  Not steady, four hours on and eight off.  It's rather a racket. 
I've been almost buying the P.X. out of books lately.  Read a dozen or so of the usual run of mysteries, that seems to be about all they have, but today I found, "The Moon is Down" by John Steinbeck.  What I've read of it so far seems good. 
I got your Fri letter today so by now I imagine you have started getting letters from me again.  The days without mail sure seem bare don't they? 
I don't care much how you wear your hair.  I'd love you no matter, long hair, short hair, curly, straight. or, if necessary, without hair.  It's the same old story honey.  I'm very much in love with you.
I actually do believe the "old buck of a pen" has improved your hand writing.  It isn't a bad one when you get used to it.  It's a med. point instead of a fine.  Get a new bladder put in and it should be good as new. 
It's a good thing you are always glad to hear that I love you, because that is about all I have to say these days.  If I haven't a letter to answer, I'm sunk so if you get a letter with only an "I love you " in it, it's probably a day when I didn't have one to answer.
Darling, I would sure like to accept the job you offer, but Uncle Sam thinks he can't get along without my services.  I'm sorry, I'd sure like the job, even to mending the socks.  You don't mention salary, but I know it would be more than satisfactory.
I'm glad to hear you say you can take it and you are in good spirits.  That's the way, honey, you're a good soldier and sensible girl.  I won't worry about you - much and don't you worry about me.  Uncle Sam says he will take good care of me and you know I'm not exactly a baby either.  I hope.
Bye for tonight, darling, I'm dreaming of you an awful lot and loving you more and more all the time.
I love you, Tootsie Wuggles.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: