Thursday, September 27, 2012

Letter # 483, September 29, 1944

New Guinea
Fri. eve.
Sept 29, 1944
My Precious;
I'm going to start this with an apology.  This is going to be a short letter 'cause I went to a show tonight instead of writing to you.  It was "Secret Command".  Pat O'brian and Carol Landis.  Pretty good and I enjoyed it for a change.  First time I've gone to a show for over a month.  I just got an idea to go so I did.  It's really not late by the clock yet, only 9 o'clock but it has been dark since five.  I'm like you, I can't understand this business of changing time down here.  Seems like they set it the wrong way.  We are getting up at four in the morning and start work at 5:30.  Quit for noon at 10:30, go back to work at 12:30 and quit at 3:30.  It's just breaking day when we get up and by the time we stand retreat and have supper it is dark again. Little more daylight here at any time of year than we have at home in the winter.  That's a long story just to explain why a letter is going to be short, but I almost have to be in bed by 10 to get enough sleep.  Either the old man is slipping and can't go without his sleep or this climate does it.  I think it's the climate mostly.  Constant heat seems to slow a man down.  I think I can see it in all the fellows.  I do know that I'm feeling perfect and fit.  Skinny but hard as nails.  Anyhow I promised you I'd take good care of me and I'm doing it.  I never get less than six hours sleep and most of the time it's eight or more.
I'm rating at mail call again.  At least I did today.  Four letters from the sweetest girl on earth.  I'd even turn away from Carol Landis if you were available, and one from the folks.  I also am told there is a bunch of packages for tomorrow.  Gosh, honey, a few letters sure do brighten up the day plenty.  Your letters were all in order.  Sept 14,15,16& 17.  There was another with the Beagle club card and the article from the Post. I haven't really read the article yet, but in glancing over it, I can almost see familiar territory.  I'll read it closely and comment on it in another letter.
They have us taking calisthenics and road marches all the time these days so we are interrupted in our work a lot of the time.  I don't like the calisthenics any better than I ever did but the marches are rather easy to take.  Especially so after this recent one I took with a heavy pack.  The one we took today was really good. Only walked about five miles and stopped for an hour in the middle for a swim in the river.  Those kind are fun.  I'm sure getting lots of opportunity to indulge in swimming this year.  Haven't been to the beach for some time but one of these days I'll go again.  The ball playing cut into my time for a while so I've quit now.  It should be winter and time for football anyhow.  Funniest kind of winter I've ever seen.
That's the stuff, honey, you see the football games for me.  Maybe next season we'll be able to go together again. We did have fun at them didn't we?  I have fun at anything when you're around.  You add that something that seems to magnify all the pleasures and make them really worthwhile.  If what you do to me isn't love, it'll do for the rest of my life anyhow.  Nothing could be more precious to me.  This all adds up to the simple fact that you are my one and only love and wife.  You've got 'em all beat so far I can't even see them.  Well not much anyhow and when I'm looking I'm only taking note of how far they miss being as nice as you are.  Best loving ever came down the road, sweetheart.  I'm not kidding either.  I mean it, every word.  Proof - I haven't even made an attempt to see the W.A.C. or the Red Cross girl either.  If you don't think that much proof, just try imagining yourself in a similar position.  Lots of girls around you all the time but you've only seen a half dozen white men [and only at a distance] for more than four months and see if it isn't proof.
Aw, honey, I know you know, I can't really see any girl but you.  Somehow though I want to keep telling you so you don't forget and get interested in some other man.  I've just got to keep you somehow.  You're necessary to my well being even at this great distance. When you are close or closer than that - gosh, honey, there is nothing more to be desired.  I love you, you beautiful hunk of desirable feminine charm.
I guess I better quit and get my beauty sleep.  I've got to keep in shape so I can make a good try at carrying out all the promises and threats I've made.  I'll sure try, I betcha.  Night sweetheart, I love you so much.
Your Hubby.
Norm.

No comments: