Sunday, September 16, 2012

Letter # 480 September 26. 1944

New Guinea
Tuesday eve.
Sept. 26
My precious sweetheart;
Well, honey, you can quit wondering and teasing me about your second little surprise.  It got here today.  I can see now why you were so anxious for me to get it and get whatever comment might be forthcoming.  After the many times I told you I didn't want one I can imagine you are wondering how it would be received.  I'll be honest about it.  I really didn't want one as you know.  But, honey, I love it anyhow.  Those two words inscribed on the very back make it very precious.  Love, Babe.  That makes it so much more than an ordinary identification bracelet that I'll always love it and wear it too, whenever I can.  It's too nice to wear for work and everything everyday but you can bet that if we ever start moving it'll be on my wrist all the time.  Like having a picture of you in my pocket where I can look at it all the time.  Your best wishes and love with me at all times.  I like it an awful lot for what it means and I think you sent it with that idea in mind more than as an ordinary bracelet.  This may not all be very clear but what I'm trying to say is I love it.  I love you too.  It's a beauty, honey.  I'll be proud to wear it for you, so there too.  Does that ease your mind and satisfy you about what I think of it?  Your letters and the hints about it sounded a bit like you almost expected a calling down about it.  Am I right?  You should have known better.  I like anything you send or anything you do.  I love you.  It really is a beauty.  I'll have to take a few links out of the chain but that is a small matter and then it will be perfect.  The boys all thought it was a dandy also.  I can't get lost now, can I?  I could even wear that when I'm around you.  Wouldn't be in the way like dog tags are.  You're sweet, honey.  I love you so much.  Love, Babe.  I like that, honey.
The little package was all I got today.  No letters.  Must be some congestion in the mail both ways.  You weren't getting yours very regularly and I'm not either.  Can't kick yet though.  The last letter I got is only thirteen days old.  I'll be getting a bunch of them again one of these days.
As I've said before, don't ever doubt for a minute that I'm not taking care of myself 'cause I am.  I'm making as sure as I can that I'm going to come back as good as I left if not better. Anyhow I think my beautiful wife will have her hands full with her old bald headed man.  He'll be ornery as hell and hard to get along with.  
I will avail myself of the permission to take a ride in a transport if I ever get the opportunity.  I do think it would be fun to go someplace that way and then I'd like to see what the country looks like from above.  Beside that, it's free if I can manage it.  That may be just another way that you will change. The day may come when we'll go on our weekend trips in our own car of the air.  It's very probable a few years after the war.
Yes, you probably could do something about it or at least as much as you could if you were right here.  Even though you wouldn't ever know if I did things you didn't want me to, I still respect your wishes as much as I can.  I love you and I like to do what you want me to in most cases.  I sure proved that by going to Jungle School didn't I?  Right after you had told me you didn't want me to go back into the interior.  It wasn't altogether my adventurous spirit although that had a lot to do with it.  What I learned may someday mean the difference that counts.  Anyhow it didn't hurt me a bit and it will make a good story for you to hear someday.
Sweetheart, I don't think you need to worry a bit about my Mom not liking you.  I'm sure she does.  Remember she has some of my traits and one is not to show what our feelings really are.  She has never said much to me on the subject but I've always been of the opinion that she approves of you very much.  Why shouldn't she?  You're the best a man could ever have and I love you.
Yes, honey, the score of seven is very correct.  We made that mark on Aug 7, 1943 and I'll never forget it.  Will you?  We were both hurtin as a result but by Tuesday we were good as new.  I don't mind a bit hurtin that way.  Like it much better than hurtin the way I am now, that's for sure.  I'm not going to promise to break that record either but I sure intend to try and with a lot of help and encouragement of the right kind it could easily happen.  Guess I'd better make a note to cut the phones wires though.  No interruptions needed or wanted.  Your exclamation to Art when he called at an inopportune moment about covers the situation.  Another of your involuntary exclamations that I'll never forget.
I sure do remember the time at Bub & Betty's when I got mad at you and I'm not a bit repentant for being mad even yet.  That was about the first time a girl had ever done that to me to that extent and I was hurtin plenty.  I couldn't believe that you could be innocent of the turmoil you were causing and I guess I did everything but use force when we walked down the lane.  I was even tempted to use force.  I still can't understand how you were so innocent when you had a brother like Ed around and had gone about with Len Rotman and Bill Hartman but I have since come to believe it and you're forgiven.  You were forgiven very soon after that anyhow, and I got rather used to it so I wasn't hurtin too bad the rest of our courtin days.  I just couldn't help but love you.  You're what I want.  Gee, I'm glad I gotcha.
You seem to think some of the things I do now are recent developments but not all of them are, as Mom can tell you.  I used to spend a lot of time drawing maps and things and they tell me I used to sew when I was a kid.  Started out like a priss didn't I?  I'll admit I've learned a lot about telling and even showing my feelings but that can all be credited to your influence.  This separation has made it necessary for me to talk a lot more than I had to at home.
There, beautiful, I guess that finishes your letters up to date.  If I don't get any to answer tomorrow I will have a chance to give you another "Traveltalk" letter.  I hope you like those kind and can get an idea of what I've seen from them.  I was intending to put a little of it in this one but I guess I'm about unwound for tonight. I'll start on that when I feel in the mood and can do justice to the subject material.
Thanks an awful lot for the "token" bracelet, honey.  It's a dandy. I'll love it and think of you every time I look at it.  I wish the "Love, Babe" were on top but I know it's there and that is what counts.
Night my sweetheart.  I'm loving you so much.  I'm thanking you with a lot of hugs and kisses, the kind you like. Of course they are long distance, imaginary ones darn it.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: