Saturday, May 26, 2012

Letter #466 August 29, 1944

New Guinea
Tuesday eve.
Aug 29, 1944
My darling Librarian;
How's that?  You said I could call you that now.  Anyhow I like librarians and school teachers.  Always before the teachers were in the lead in a close race, now the librarian is way ahead.  There was even a time when the hash slinging profession came into the race.  Wonder why? Could it be because a certain young lady, who holds the key to my heart happened to be doing that kind of work at the time?  You're darn right that's the reason.  I don't care what kind of profession you took up, I'd surely be very partial to it.  The one I like you best in is housewife, my wife, and that's the one you must have been made for 'cause you do it so perfectly.  I love you. No matter where you are or what you do.  Gosh you're a peach.
I got two of the back letters today.  Aug 15 & 16.  When the Sunday Aug. 13 comes they'll be all complete up to and including the 17th.
I'm still carpentering.  Today I was making some more chairs and also some fly traps for the kitchen.  I still think the army would have done a lot better if they had used me for carpenter or electrician rather than mechanic.
The weather the past few days has been threatening most of the time, but no rain.  It's still getting hotter by the day.  By the time summer really gets here it's liable to really get warm.  Maybe by that time we'll be farther north.  Wouldn't have to go far to switch the seasons again and be in winter when winter is supposed to be.  Sounds so darn funny to say spring or summer and think of the month as Sept, Oct or Jan.  Screwy isn't it?
Got my monthly issue of cigarettes today.  Four cartons of Philip Morris.  I haven't yet seen a Camel since I've been here.  Also ten, penny size boxes of matches.  See why I'm always asking for cigarette lighters? Matches are scarce as hen's teeth and aren't very satisfactory because of the extreme dampness.  Those two you sent me are swell.  Work like a charm.  The ever lasting match type don't seem to work on gasoline.  Lighter fluid is hard to find and anyhow, gasoline is always in reach. All high powered aircraft type and works swell.
While I have been away from the shop, Brown and the boys have been working on a washing machine.  It's almost ready to run and looks capable of doing the job.  An old salvaged peep engine furnishes the power.  Three gasoline drums laid on side with the top cut open are the tubs.  Paddles worked by the engine agitate the laundry.  How does that sound?  Soon have all the comforts of home, except a wife.  Guess I'll spend a five pound note and buy my pick of the only females available.  Maybe I could forget she was ugly, black, smelly, and dumb and get to like her.  How about it?
Then, after the war, I wouldn't care if I did have to stay here in the army.  Nice simple life.  No bills to pay and let my wife do all the work about the thatched hut we'd call home as well as raise the family.  Wup!  Guess I'd better stop there.  Can't even keep enlarging on the picture, even to tease you.  You've got it coming you know.  Watcha sending me for a surprise, Mummy?  I forgot to forget all about it.  I'll have to think of a better way to tease you than that.  You know darn well I'd never consider anything of the sort.  You've got me, honey.  You're my Tootsie Wuggles.
Now for your Aug 14 letter. I thought you might enjoy the pictures even though I didn't take them.  They are all things I've seen anyhow.
It's news to me that Bob Hope had been over here.  He must have missed this place.  They can't hit 'em all or they'd be here for the duration.
So Mick has adopted an apple tree for his own special shade.  That's nothing.  I could have a banana tree or a coconut palm only there aren't any nice exciting French girls to sit with.  I said sit but - well, a man's a man and a girl's a girl.  Explosive combination.
Too bad about Ed Selzer.  I hope you can get as good service from someone else.  You're wise to get your coal early if you can.
Don't be too hard on Bob for not writing.  I don't blame him.  When would I have had time to write a letter when I was courting you?  I could hardly wait to eat supper at home.  Wanted to be at Kelsers.  Every night too, and then from closing time Sat. eve. until Monday morning I was with you all the time except for a very few hours of sleep.  I often wondered why your folks didn't charge me board.  I practically lived there.  It sure was fun and I got what I wanted.  Wasn't like a lot of things either.  Want them bad and upon attainment be rather indifferent.  I want you more and more all the time.  I love you so much.
As far as I know, Ernie, Schindler, Angie, are still at Polk with the 8th.  They are rumored to be about to move.  You said Wacker said the same thing.  Grafton's outfit, so I'm told, is now in Hawaii. [Darn.  I never could spell that]  Sounds good for Grafton, huh?  
I can remember a time when you didn't like me to tease you about red heads.  Remember?  Before you found out I was only teasing.  I think you actually were a little jealous of them.  Wondered what they had you didn't have.  Honey, you've got more than they could ever have.  I'll probably always tease you about them though.
Yes, you'd better trust me to the ends of the earth.  If this isn't the end it's darn close to it.  I'd trust you that far too only I wish I didn't have to.  I'd much rather trust you where I can see you once in a while.  Lot more fun that way.  I do so want to get back where you are in a hurry and then we can really start to live again.  This isn't even an imitation of living in comparison to what we've known and will know again.  We've lots to look forward to and think about.
Night precious, I'm loving you so much.  I'm hurtin all over.
Your hubby
Norm

No comments: