Thursday, May 10, 2012

Letter # 464 August 27, 1944

New Guinea
Sunday morn
Aug 27, 1944
My Chubby Chubbins;
Almost the end of this month already.  Good old September and the days I like best in the whole year.  Back in good old Ohio, I mean.  The hot weather is over and the nice warm fall days coming.  Leaves turning color, nuts ripe for gathering.  Beautiful time for walks in the woods.  We had some very pleasant days doing just that, didn't we?  Gosh, I wish this was over so we could do it again.
It's just a year ago today at noon that you had to leave me at Fort Knox and go back to start your teaching.  Gosh, honey, I was lost as I stood there on the street and watched Mick's car disappear in the traffic of Louisville.  Like seeing a part of myself going away and leaving only a shell behind.  Damn this war business anyhow.  That's for both of us 'cause I know you feel the same as I do.  I'm missing you, honey.
Did you know it?
Another week and Mick will have his first year in the army done with.  Doesn't seem that long.  I can remember those days in Ky so plainly.  I'm too good at remembering, I guess, but it's fun and about all we can do for the present.  Better day a coming, sweetheart and may they be soon.
I've got the camera all loaded and intend to take a roll of film today so I can send you some pictures as soon as possible.  I know how I like the ones you send me so I won't keep you waiting any longer than necessary.  I think it takes about a month for the trip to Australia and back.  Don't expect too soon.
Bowman has come back from the hospital.  Cured, they say, and ready for duty. I doubt it.  All they did was feed him pills and give him a rest.  They say nervousness was his trouble.  Could be but it still doesn't sound right.  He did have some worries with his wife about to have a baby and all.  Then while in the hospital, his Mother died.  Not very nice news for a convalescent nervous case.  He does seem much better right now.  We had cut a brass star and hung it under his name on the name sign on our tent.  We can take it down now since his return.  From what he says I think I will really begin to "buck" for a stay at the hospital.  Not because of the nurses, as you are thinking, but for the ice cream and cold drinks he says they have.  Sounds good. The nurses might be some attraction too.  After all I haven't seen more than a couple dozen white women since last May. They sure improve the looks of any landscape.  One woman I know would make this country seem like home.  You know who it is too.  My big, chubby, beautiful parcel of sweetness.  My darling wife and sweetheart.
I didn't get much answering done on your letters last night, so here goes.  Aug. 11.  This is the one where you tell me you enjoyed the description of the Jack Benny show. If you like stuff like that I'll tell you about anything of the sort that happens, only don't expect it often.  Doesn't happen much.  I didn't know the attitude of the soldiers being as you say about those shows.  They all certainly enjoyed this one.  The trouble the boys go to to get to these shows is evidence of appreciation.  Come from miles around in jolting G.I. trucks, over roads that would beat a civilian car to pieces and through dust like fog and get there two or three hours before show time, so they can get within seeing distance, see the show, and go through a department store bargain sale battle to find their truck in what seems a world of trucks, all looking alike, then the same disagreeable ride "home" again that no self respecting civilian would even attempt for any chow.  Those that don't appreciate shows like that are either off their base or else too bitter about being in the service or have never really been in the army.  Does that answer Louise's question?  I could say more but I guess that is sufficient.
The question of the difference in Australian and English money values even though called the same.  All the countries or territories under England are largely run by their own people.  The Australians are the same system only different in value.  The Canadian system is much the same as ours you know.
Honey, I know I don't need to send any money home unless I want to.  You are doing a grand job of taking care of yourself, but I want too.  I can't see any sense keeping it over here.  I don't gamble and I don't see any sense in giving it back to the Aussies for their trinkets and there is nothing else to spend it on.  I'm buying all I can get that I want.  Don't worry about that.  By sending it home we'll have a nice little pile to help make up for the time and money I'm loosing in the army.  That bank account is going to look very good to me.  About next month I'll be sending another little pile.  I'm keeping a reserve of 50 or 75 dollars just in case.
Louise might be all right in her thinking she may go across if Mickey is kept in the army for some time.  where he is it might be possible but in your case - no.  anyhow, civilians won't be able to go over for some time and by that time I'm sure the older ones, at least, will be out.
So you danced one whole dance at the Grange party did you?  You didn't say who the lucky son-of-a-gun was.  I'm envious of him, even if I can't dance.  You people are doing a good job of promoting, seems like.  If all the boys like packages like I do they'll surely be appreciated.
You didn't need to bother about sending me a soldiers ballot.  I know so little of what is going on and who is who that I would not be qualified to vote.  Aside from the main event I don't even know who is running and since Wallace is out I don't know who took his place in opposition to Bricker.  In my opinion it's too damn bad that at this stage of the war we even have to bother with politics.  If the wasted effort were put to proper use, this war could be ended and the boys back home again.  There, that's enough politics
for one day.
I don't have much chance to read but we now have a library of books, pocket size,  here and when the time is available I can read.  Can't read at night because of the poor light and with the short days you can imagine how much daylight I have to spare.
It's getting close to chow time so I'll let this go for today.
Best wishes on our anniversary, honey.
So long Babe.  I'm loving you and missing you so much. You're my darling wife.
Your hubby.
Norm.    

No comments: