Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Letter # 465 August 28, 1944

New Guinea
Monday eve.
Aug. 28, 1944
My Sweetheart Wife;
When I came back from the ball game yesterday I had two letters from you.  The Aug. 14 &17th.  That is the first time this month they haven't come in rotation.  Didn't come today either.  I also got a V-mail from Marg.  From the parts of it I could read, I gather she was at sea and up to that time hadn't been seasick. Doing better than I did.  She also says Bob has set his wedding date for Nov. 7th.  Says she has an invitation but doesn't think she'll be able to make it.  Me either.
I hope Bob has the right girl and they like their new life as well as we do.  Nothing like it.  I loves my wifey.  I'm anxious as hell to get back to her so we can continue our perfect times together.
The ball game was a good one.  Eleven innings.  7 - 6.  Only it wasn't in our favor.  I didn't play in this one so they can't blame it on me.  The game was tied at the end of the 9th 4 - 4.  End of the 10th 6 - 6.  End of the 11th - no tie.  Awful good game to watch.  I can't tell you who the games are with, so don't wonder why I don't.
Went to the show last night, for a change.  Very poor.  "Private Buckaroo".  Harry James Band and the Andrews Sisters.  Good music but that was all.  I think it must be an old show.
My carpenter work slowed down a bit today so this afternoon I did the remodeling and enlarging of my desk, I spoke of.  Made it at least twice as big as it was and have it so the door opens out level and makes the table to write on.  The same idea as the old combination desks people used to have.  Now I have room to put all the paper and things you've sent and can get at them handy.  Three shelves on one side and two on the other.  It sure isn't any masterpiece of cabinet work but it answers the purpose.  When I gather up some more pin up gals and hide the rough wood it will look better.  Haven't had time for that yet.  Don't even have your pictures put back yet.   I miss seeing your pretty smiling face too.  Like to have you where I can see you all the time.  Gosh I wish it wasn't only a picture.  You're a darn good looking girl aren't you?  I think so.  Beautiful to me.  Good looking legs too.  I loves you, Bubbles.
Guess I'd better catch up a bit on your letters.  Tell me about the gas allowance and things.  Are they going to give you enough to get you back and forth and have a little to go on?  How about tires?  Are they as hard to get as ever?  The old ones seem to be doing pretty well by you lately.
You can tell Joe Meyers that if you get out of practice it won't make any difference, 'cause I'll be out of practice too and we can start all over learning together - again.  Won't that be fun?  I don't think you'll need very much training.  If we don't let our enthusiasm run away with us at first, we'll be going smoothly in no time.  Am I right?  Don't think I've forgotten very much.  How could I ever forget?  You hand out a very superb brand.  Never forget it or want any other.  I love you.
Don't be opening your letters and writing them over, sweetheart.  Let 'em come.  I like to know what you're thinking about and what is bothering you. After all, I'm your husband and lover.
Honey, you're building the stage for me to spring another teasing letter or something, like the one last summer.  I'll get even with you somehow for telling me I'm going to get a surprise sometime in about three months.  Even starting to tease three weeks before you send it.  You're a devil.  No, I can't guess what it is.  Haven't the slightest idea and just because you're teasing me I'm going to forget all about it.  What is it, honey?  You devil.  I'll fix you.  Just wait till I get a chance.  
Art sure is a handy fellow to have around isn't he?  Takes as good care of you as I would.  Almost anyhow. We're lucky to have friends like that.  We'll do our darnedest to repay him in some way, sometime.  Going to be a big job though.
The news does sound darn good.  I can see why everyone is so optimistic.  I'm like you though.  I won't believe too much or expect too much until I'm back in sight of U.S. shores.  I haven't accomplished a thing I hoped to, but I'm more than ready to forget it and come home.  Being with you will always come first.  I'm in love with you.
I guess the great number of men overseas now is largely responsible for your trouble in getting cigarettes and beer and things.  You won't need to send me any more cigarettes.  Just the tobacco.  Keep the cigarettes for yourself.
For gosh sake honey.  Don't send a picture of yourself in the same state of undress as the ones I sent you.  I'd bust for sure.  Blankets would need washing too often.  Save that until I can really see you that way.  Droopy ones look vaguely familiar.  Honey, you have very poor comparison abilities.  I couldn't see you that way and not get a buzz.  I had a dream the other night of you but I woke up too quick.
I remember telling you I'd trade you for two twenties.  That was before you saw the light and even then I was only teasing and you know it.
You can be a tease or a bitch or anything else you want to call yourself and I'll still love you.  I don't have to believe what you call yourself.  I know what you are and you're what I want, love and aim to keep.  So there too.
I don't know about the devils in my eyes you speak of.  Guess they don't have very much to dance about these days.  I'll make you a bet that they shore up when you are around again and dance all over the place.  You're their charmer.  I imagine there are lots of little things like that are very way back in hibernation waiting for that beautiful day when they can stop sleeping and come out and be warmed by your love and sweetness.  Nothing gone, honey, only waiting until we're back together again.  Think you can stir them up to life again?  If you can't you've slipped an awful lot and I might consider trading you for a half dozen or so twenties.  Need at least that many to even begin to take your place.
Night, sweetheart.  I'm loving and missing you so much.  You're my wife.  Gee I'm glad I gotcha.  Here's a big hug and lots of kisses for my Chubbins.  Good ones too.
Your hubby.
Norm.



No comments: