Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Letter # 501 October 18. 1944

New Guinea
Wed. eve
Oct 18, 1944
Hello Beautiful;
Wednesday afternoon again and a half day off.  Like it used to be back in civilian life only here I don't have to make up for the time off by working until late on Saturday night.  Quite a racket this army life.  It may be a racket as far as work is concerned but I'll go back to working at home like I used to anytime they see fit to turn me loose.  I don't mind all the crazy and unnecessary stuff they pull so much but I sure do mind being away from my wife so much and so long.  I want my Mummy all the time.  She's part of me and I can't feel right or satisfied as long as she isn't with me.  If that isn't love, honey, it will have to do until the real thing comes along.  It's love.  I'm very positive of that.  I do love you so much darling.
I did work a little more on your surprise but not much.  I seem to have quite a bit of time off but, even then, by the time I keep my chores done up, I don't have much time left anyhow.  Seems there's always a little mending or repair work about the tent or some other little things to take up my time.  It gets dark here so early too.  By 4:30 it's necessary to have lights to see in the tents.  Our lights aren't very good and I can't do any close work by them.  Write is about all.  That is a long winded explanation of why I don't seem to be making much progress on the surprises.  I know I shouldn't be teasing you about them so far in advance, but you asked for it.  You sweet devil.  Another thing slowing me down quite a bit is I'm lazy.  This constant hot weather is really slowing me down plenty.  I've gotten so I like to assume the position of horizontal devotion as often as I can.  This afternoon, for example, I had good intentions of getting the chores out of the way quick and working on your surprise.  I did go right to work after dinner, had to remark all my clothing and cut some weeds around the tent.  When I got that done I lit a cigarette and stretched out on my cot to smoke it.  Next thing I knew I had been asleep for over an hour.  See where my time goes? Another thing you'll have to teach me, being energetic again.  Maybe you'd sooner I wasn't too energetic.  How about it?
Woke up this morning to the patter of rain on the tent.  I like to hear it rain on a tent [if it doesn't leak].  It stopped soon after daylight as is usual, it very seldom rains during the day, but it stayed rather cloudy and steamy all day.  Thundering right now and will probably start raining shortly again.  Usual temperature again, 96 in the shade.  Don't imagine it will get a lot hotter except occasional days, because the sun is almost directly overhead now.  It will pass on over and then come back again in January.  It is raining now.  The boys got rained out at the show and just came in.
No mail again today and I have nearly answered all the letters I have.  I'll finish this one of Oct 3rd and probably stop there.  I don't seem to have much to say again tonight.
You're making a broad statement there, honey.  "I'll do anything for you if you were only near me."  That could mean a hell of a lot but I don't have any doubt you'd try it.  You needn't worry though.  Even though I do think N.G. may have a great future I wouldn't want to be a part of it unless I could do it from a long distance.  I couldn't, rather wouldn't, stand the climate very long on my own either.  You committed yourself and I'll remember that statement just in case I ever do have an idea of some sort that doesn't meet with your approval.  At present and I don't expect, anytime, to require any more from you than you gave before this war.  You were perfect except for one thing and you've corrected that since.  That is if I can judge from the times I've seen you.  Perfect in every way now.  Know what I mean?  If you don't you will be told and shown the first thing when I get home.  Best loving ever came down the road, sweetheart.
You would have been scared if you had known about the headhunters, you say.  I wasn't very easy about it either when I found out even though there were too many of us and we were too well armed to be in any danger at all.  I realized that and still went to sleep with my gun & knife under my hand.  I sure didn't care much for their looks.  We were kidding Pendelton all the time we were in the area. You can gather from his picture that he's a big boy.  Almost exactly like I was before my diet two years ago.  Weighs about 220.  Well, we were telling him that the natives were all looking at him and thinking what nice soup he'd make.  Don't guess it worried him much but we had fun trying anyhow.
We weren't supposed to do any trading with the natives according to the Australian in charge of the school and we didn't on the way up while we were in a big group. These natives and Aussies have a more or less set price for things.  Such as, one cigarette for two coconuts, one cigarette for a paw paw, two cigarettes for a bunch of bananas, or the same number of razor blades.  Razor blades and cigarettes being about the same value.  Watches are worth more and up in the out of the way places the natives go wild for them.  The Aussies know Americans are too generous and don't like to have us do any trading 'cause when overpaid once, the native always wants as much the next time.  Like anyone else in that way aren't they?
On the way down Mathews was our trader.  He seemed to be able to get along with them best of any of us. One village we saw a nice patch of corn and decided to try to buy some.  Went in and Mathews asked for corn.  The old black acted like he didn't understand but after a little persuasion and a look at matches and razor blades we had, he yelled out something and almost immediately women came with squash, green bananas, and such.  The poorest they had and insisted it was good Ki Ki.  That means food.  After a bit of that Mathews got disgusted and yelled, "To hell with the Ki Ki.  We want some corn."  We got it too.  They are shrewd traders and unless persistent you'll never get what you want. We came away from there with corn, cucumbers, paw paws, bananas, and squash enough to make the six of us a feast and only spent one book of matches and six razor blades.  They use the razor blades to make sharp tools, not to shave.
I guess I wrote more than I thought I would. Your questions did it.  There are probably lots of things I forgot to tell about the trip.  A few questions may get results, honey.  I like to have you ask about anything you want to know or you may not understand about what I write. Ask 'em and I'll answer anything I can and not violate rules.
Night, my darling, I love you.  Did you know that?  Any questions about it?  I can answer them without violating any old rules. Here's some more big, thrilling kisses.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: