Sunday, May 5, 2013

Letter # 500 October 17, 1944

New Guinea
Tuesday eve.
Oct 17, 1944
My Sweetheart;
Another hot scorching day gone by.  It didn't register so high in the shade, only 98 degrees, but in the sun, oh my but it's hot.  Be resting in the shade and be all dried off and step into the sun for a couple minutes and you just melt and run in your shoes.  The slightest movement is enough to open the sweat gates and from then on the clothes are soaking wet.  Sure is funny weather for the middle of October isn't it?  I'd sure like to have some of those snappy, frosty October evenings and beautiful days.  I can see it is really going to get quite warm here by the first of the year.
I guess I forgot to tell you. I went to the show Sunday eve.  It was "Destroyer".  If I remember right it was an old show, but not too bad.  Once in a while a show goes pretty good.
The show "Dragon Seed"  that you mentioned seeing in Cleveland was put on at the base over the weekend.  I was tempted to go but the long dusty ride and the crowd I knew would be there made me decide against it.  It was highly recommended by the army, more for education of our ally, China, than anything, I imagine.  From your description I imagine it might have been a good show, even if you didn't like it.
Shows are one thing we seem to disagree on occasionally.  You always used to go with me if I wanted to see one but you'd squeeze my arm and not look when things started to happen.  "I won't look", you'd say, but you usually did anyhow.  You sure would hang on to me.  I like to have you hanging on to me.  I like to hang onto you too.  Especially when I walk behind you and reach around under your arms.  You know how.  That's fun and thrilling.  I love you, honey.
You are probably in possession of the correction of your understanding of locations down here.  I probably didn't write it the way I mean it. You have the positions reversed anyhow.  Steve is north of me.
Now what could you be packing in a syrup can to send to me? The obvious certainly isn't right but yet you say it should be tasty.  Well, let her come.  I'll find out then what it is.  With the Grange boxes and a soldier of your own to send boxes to you should be having a big time getting boxes ready to mail.
Gosh, honey, I never dreamed that anyone would argue about the privilege of who is going to send me the lantern.  I'm sorry there aren't enough things I want to go around.  It sure is swell of everyone to be so thoughtful.  It's nice to be remembered by old friends.  It's much more than that to have such a perfect wife pulling for me and not letting anyone forget her husband.
Another sideline job for you.  Going out to the hospital in a librarian capacity.  Yes, honey, I'd think you would rather enjoy that and as long as it won't take much, if any, extra time, it should break the everyday routine of the library.  Maybe you can also pick up some pointers on being a mother.  Remember you have big plans of being one as soon as possible.  You haven't changed your mind yet, have you?  You'd make a swell mother.  Nearly as good as the perfect wife you are now.
Ok, ok, honey, I'll hush my mouth about not writing to you.  I can see I am forgive, you devil.  Teasing me again about the present you had to saw in three pieces to send.  I don't know what in the hell it could be or why I should quickly splice it together, but I'll do as you say.  You devil.  I love you to pieces.
I can see you are being well taken care of honey, and I don't need to worry or even think about it, but darn it, I just have to suggest something once in a while to salve my vanity.  I gotta feel that I'm a little bit necessary anyhow.  I want to be taking care of you so much you know.  I assure you I'm not worrying at all about you anymore.  You're a very capable girl.  All I do now-a-days is dream and think of what we'll do when we are together again.  Fun and more fun.
I'm going to cut you short tonight.  I'm tired and need to get a big night's rest.  I'll do better tomorrow night.
Night, sweetheart.  I'm loving you so much and missing you constantly.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: