Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Letter # 493 October 10, 1944

New Guinea
Tues. Oct 10, 44
My Darling;
I don't know how much of a letter this is going to be.  I don't have much to talk about and I didn't get any letters so I'll just have to ramble.  Bet I get a pile of them all at once again one of these days.
I haven't said anything about the temperature the last few days 'cause it has been about the same all along.  No rain now for over a week and the dust is terrific again.  It seems to rain here only in spells.  I'm told that this area is one of the few dry spots on the island.  A few miles on either side of us it rains every day almost.  It's the same back in the interior.  Rain and more rain.
I had told you about the garden and how fast things grew.  Well I'm beginning to see a fault now.  The soil is all humus and grows big healthy looking bushes, vines, and etc. but seems to lack the minerals to produce very well.  This soil looks perfect but it would need fertilizer to finish a crop.  Since it's getting warmer the lack of rain can be noticed too.  Tomato plants were wilted quite a bit at noon today.  Still lots of dampness at night but this sun seems to draw that away in no time.  November and December are supposed to be the wet months here.  I don't know if it will affect this area or not.
I just took a break and heard the final game of the World Series.  The Cardinals win the Series. I've heard all the games.  Some darn good ones too.  I expect you're surprised to hear me taking much interest in baseball.  It just seems good to hear about things that I was accustomed to hear as everyday subjects when I was home.  Then I got a bit interested in hardball when I was playing down here.  Our ball playing has kinda fizzled out now that we're back to work.  I haven't played since I went to Jungle School.  Little bit hot to get out in the sun and play ball anyhow.
Tonight Johnny got his first pictures back.  He had his camera with him you know and he sent these away the 15th of August.  Almost two months so you can make a rough guess at when you will be getting some.  I sent my first ones the 25th of Sept.  That will make it the first part of Dec. before I can get any to you.  Long time to wait isn't it honey?  While I'm thinking about it.  Several of the boys will want duplicates of some of these pictures and they only want to print one over here.  If I tell you how many of each I want, will you have them printed and send them back?  I won't ask you to do like Bonnie did.  That would be a lot of work.  Let them send them back home themselves.  Then I can collect and send the money back to you.
The pictures Johnny got back were really pretty good.  Only slightly dull.  It's the paper they have to use over here.  The negatives are good and should make good reprints.  Haven't taken any more pictures lately.  I had the camera along Sunday but it was a bit hazy and I don't want to waste any film. May someday go someplace where I want it bad.  I will try to keep some coming though.  I know how nice it is to get pictures.  They seem to tell so much more than a host of words.  I know I can't send as nice pictures as you've sent me but maybe they'll do.  Anyhow, I'll be in some of them.  I haven't tried the color film yet.  Saving it for the opportune time.  I did want to use it up the trail but it seemed when I had a worthy subject, the light was poor. Someday on the beach maybe. After I get it taken the next thing will be to get it to you.  Maybe I can manage somehow.
Honey, do you remember what was happening a year ago tonight?  It was Sunday, and far from being a day of rest, it was one of the most anxious and nerve trying days I ever put in. In case you don't remember, I had finished school at Knox and they were holding us there for further orders.  I wanted so badly to get home to my honey and I was very much afraid they were going to cancel my furlough or something like that.  I'd go through hundreds of "Michigan" nights rather than another two days like that.  I guess you were sweating it out plenty too, weren't you? Didn't it all turn out swell though?
More like that coming, too, only this time it won't be only fifteen days.  It'll be months, years, and decades.  Nice to think about, huh?   
I'm going to cheat you tonight.  Can't seem to get on the beam.  I'm on your beam though and with the help of your picture I can almost feel you loving me.  I'm loving you too, sweetheart.
Your Norm.

No comments: