Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Letter # 491 October 8, 1944

New Guinea
Sunday eve
Oct 8, 1944
My Darling;
Had a very nice time at the beach today and also have a rather feverish hide.  They have been making us wear our shirts all the time lately and even though I still am well tanned, it wasn't well enough to stop this sun.  I'm not burned enough to peel or be uncomfortable but only warm.  This sun is different than back home.  with as much tan as I had I'd never have burned a bit.  It bears down here and I guess salt water helps it along too.  Partly cloudy most of the day and not as hot as it has been.  The water was swell.  Nice rollers to play with.
It hasn't rained for several days again now. Kinda looks like we might have some tonight.  I like to see it rain often here.  Keeps the dust down and it doesn't stay muddy very long.  Sure seems out of place to think of October and swimming and sunburn. Should be thinking of getting ready for winter and enjoying the last few warm days of the season.
I didn't expect any letters today and I didn't get any.  I've several here to answer and I'm going to get at it now.
It makes me feel good to say you didn't mind your no letter period cause you knew why and what I was doing.  I felt a little guilty about it and, in spite of what you tell me, I bet you didn't like having no letters.  I love you so much I want to do all I can to make it easier for you.  I guess, as you say, I'm only a kid yet and when a chance like that comes along I can't resist it.
I'm glad to hear about Mickey.  He is seeing the country and no mistake.  I bet Louise was plenty glad to hear after all that time.  I'd guess from the things you report that he's doing, that my first guess as to what his new work is, is somewhere near correct.  He is evidently following close behind the front.  I don't believe he is actually fighting.  Anyhow, I'm hoping the best for him.  By getting into that scrap, I'd say his chances to come home when it's over there, are fairly good.
More candy and cookies on the way.  Sounds good.  Anything like that will always be welcome.  Poor Art.  I'm sure causing him an awful lot of trouble.  Almost think I was his son instead of only a friend.  I don't know how I'll ever begin to return all the favors he's doing for us.  I sure appreciate it all.  You can tell him he need have no fear that I'll cuss him out if the candy is spoiled.  I know he did his best.  I'll let you do any cussing for me.  Remember what you called him over the phone, last spring?  He did deserve that and more 'cause he was hoping to do exactly what he did.  The devil.  I'll remember that "favor" too.
I'd like to see our kitchen table.  Wouldn't need to be covered with all kinds of things to send to me.  I'd sooner have it like I remember it best.  You sitting there with me and asking if I like this or that and why don't I say something is good once in a while.  That's the way I want things. You and I living our ordinary everyday lives and loving each other all the time.  I'm in love with you, sweetheart.
You certainly are a kid when it comes to presents and packages.  I always did get a big kick out of watching you play "Santa" at our Christmas get to-gethers.  Would think that they were all for you. You almost jump up and down and get so excited.  I love you that way.  Sweet and innocent and natural.  Nothing artificial or sophisticated about you.  My own lovable Babe.
Honey, you're impossible.  I bet you've asked me fifty times if I like your picture.  I sure do.  I love it.  I'm inclined to agree with Louise.  It doesn't do you justice in some ways.  It could be because the print is a bit hazy but it sure is natural even to that look in your eyes.  You're not merely smiling at me, you're inviting me.  It's the one invitation I'll never turn down either.  Now don't say anything.  I've never turned it down as long as you've known me, have I?  The future and old age may make changes but I'll ever want to refuse that invitation. You look mighty swell to me.  I love you.  It's a very good job of duplicating the picture I have of you in my mind from that last night.  Only trouble is this is only a picture.
You could have been in the next room when I saw the bracelet and your ears wouldn't have burned a bit.  All I said, and these are the actual words,  as nearly as I can remember, was, "Well, Babe finally got me the bracelet she has been trying to give me for the past year.
I think I know how you felt about it and why you sent it and I'm loving you for it.  I like it.  Wear it all the time and look at it a lot.  It means another tie between us.  We need them at this distance.
I sent the ring with the same sentiments behind it.  I'm glad to hear you like it so much and that it isn't tarnishing very much.  Down here silver takes a beating.  Tarnishes rather fast.  That was really how that bastard got a chance to steal the first one.  I had it laying out just to see how long it would stay bright.
My habits are still the same as they have been.  I go my regular three times a day and sometimes more.  No laxative ever needed on the kind of food and life we have here.  I do rather miss having the funnies to read at the early evening sitting.  My old habits aren't broken, but pushed aside for the time.  I'm still me only in a different shape package.
There now, I've caught up on your letters again and ready for a new bunch.  If I don't get any tomorrow I'll still have plenty to write about.  I left the trip stranded in L.A. It should be about time to leave there and continue on to New Guinea.  Screwy way to do things isn't it?  I do like to always have something up my sleeve to write about when I get those "can't write" spells.
Everything is going along very well and I'm feeling good and ornery as ever.  Not a thing wrong with me in any way.  I do have one very pronounced ailment but it's a good ailment and can't be cured by medicine, doctors, hospitals, or even red headed nurses.  The latter might help a bit but never cure me.  The only cure that will help is the cure my wife knows the secret of.  She can cure me in no time at all.  Very pleasant cure too.  One of these days I'll be calling on you to work the cure, so you'd better be ready.
You will be, won't you?
Night my beautiful.  I'm loving you and thinking about you a lot.  Even dream dreaming about you once in a while.  Isn't either funny or childish, so there too.  I love you, sweetheart.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: